Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Hammock
    Cave Creek Hammock (Hexon 1.0)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Huggers

Cheapest underquilt?

What are some cheaper underquilts that get the job done? Any good deals going on now?

Thanks,
    Steven

Hammock
    DIY,WBBB,DutchBridge
    Tarp
    Cuben,Superfly
    Insulation
    Quilts :P
    Suspension
    Dutchware
    2 words that you will never see together
    cheap and Underquilt
    the cheapest option (3 season) i know of is from Paul at AHE for aroung $130 it is synthetic
    the cheapest 3 season option with down starts around $180 and up depending on the model and size
    check hammockgear he is your best bet if your trying to stay under $200

as for used UQ's... UQ's hold there value so you don't save much by going used maybe $10-20 at most sometimes more depending on the seller

if you want to go really cheap and can sew try modding an old sleeping bag or even a Poncho liner can be modded pretty cheap the only downfall is pack size and weight a poncho liner is 24oz add shock cord and hardware and maybe some IX in between to get a better temp rating and your looking at a 2lbs UQ
    do a search on UQ's or check the UQ section of the forums for some great options also a IX UQ can be made for under $75 .. but again you need to have some sewing skills
    if you want to dive in and make a Down UQ your looking at about $100 give or take .. depending if you shop around for deals

other than that there are not many good cheap options out there
    Pads also work fine on the cheap ... yes there a pain to keep under you at times and condensation can be a problem but it can hold you over till you save up some cash to get a nice UQ
    It puts the Underquilt on it's hammock ... It does this whenever it gets cold

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    Most find that a PLUQ (Poncho Liner UnderQuilt) is good down into the 40s with no mods, and it's hard to beat it for the price point. What it isn't, though, is compressible or light; it's close to two pounds when insulation is added, and it don't compress for crap.

The corrected directions for the no-sew version (from our very own Dejoha) are located here.

Also from Dejoha are the sewn version directions, found here.

I've successfully used the no-sew version as low as 41 F without issue. I've also used the sewn version as low as 25 F with no supplemental bottom insulation successfully. I've gone as low as 21 F (at the 2nd Annual FL Hang this past January) survivably, but I was pretty cold that night.

Note that these are not normal temperatures for most folks; I'm a space heater when I sleep and usually find manufacturers' temp ratings five or ten degrees too conservative. Figure five to ten degrees above these ratings for you if you're a normal sleeper and another five to ten degrees if you're a cold sleeper.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    WWM with Dynaglide whoopies
    Tarp
    8.5x10 Zpack
    Insulation
    down
    Suspension
    DreamHmck slng/tog

Sent you a private message.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I got a full length WL (synth) on the forum for $85. I love it.

If you are trying to save money, buy used. You could also check out some of the insultex uq's, I think they are about $130 and rated down to the 40s?
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Being a kayaking guy, with a lot of camping experience, I avoid down. Fit happens and when it happens to down its a bad fit.

Hammock
    hennessy exped asym
    Images
    http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/a...s/show/1902885

the Jarbridge River from Arrowhead Equipment is what I have and have never had a problem staying warm with it. If it can handle Canadian spring and fall, I'm sure it can handle anything Arizona can dish out. That being said, I don't go before the May long weekend (gotta wait for the lake to thaw) or after Thanksgiving (which is in October here) Can't really go wrong for $100
    Debi

Hammock
    WBBB 1.0 dbl
    Tarp
    Edge w/ Dutch CRL
    Insulation
    MambaTQ/PhoenixUQ
    Suspension
    D. Buckle/Whoopies
    Images
    Having bought WAY too much gear in my lifetime, I've noticed a few things. Mainly, you get what you pay for. I can't count the amount of times I've bought something because it was a good deal, only to pay more in the end because I wanted the better item. (backpacks and cook sets are great examples) If budget it your primary concern, I would try to make due with what you have around the house / goodwill until you can get what you REALLY want. Fleece blankets, old sleeping bags, etc. Hope that helps!
    Pass the Apple Pie

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    I got my te WA breeze for, I believe, 130, with an extra ounce of down. Haven't tested it yet but I was told it can go down to 30 to 40 degrees. We shall see as night time lows are starting to get low....wooot! Oh btw it is a 3/4, I am a short guy at 5 6", so that size is suitable for me, covers everything cept my ankles.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    GTUL/WBRR
    Tarp
    Ogee/Diy
    Insulation
    HudsonR/EE20/Leilo
    Suspension
    DynaWhoopie/Hugger
    Images
    Leighlo has a 48" 30degree for $140 and a 48" 15degree for $165. I highly recommend their products. The 15degree is out of stock at the moment.
    "If animals could speak the dog would be a blundering outspoken fellow, but the cat would have the rare grace of never saying a word too much."
    - Mark Twain

"FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! NO MORE WOOD!"
    - Mancat

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast