Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

UQ or TQ First???

I have some old MIL-SPEC sleeping bags laying around: 1 green patrol bag and 2 heavy weight black bags. I'm working on getting gear together for a section hike on the AT and was considering repurposing my bags as under quilts and top quilts, but was wondering which one is more important initially for a summer hang in Virginia? A TQ or UQ?

Part of me says that a UQ b/c of draft, etc over my elevated backside
    but I'm a noob and I'm always looking for suggestions...

Thanks!

Hammock
    DreamHammock Darien
    Tarp
    UGQ Hanger 12
    Insulation
    UGQ TQ, HG UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hook
    Images
    If you're talking about modifying the bags, start with the UQ, as a regular bag can be used as a TQ without any structural modifications, just unzip it and use it as a blanket.

Quote Originally Posted by lilricky View Post
    If you're talking about modifying the bags, start with the UQ, as a regular bag can be used as a TQ without any structural modifications, just unzip it and use it as a blanket.
    Wow, that was quick!!! Thanks!

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Sparrow
    Tarp
    WBSF
    Insulation
    DIY
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by lilricky View Post
    +1

I was going to say the same thing. I use my sleeping bag unzipped down to the footbox. Just recently purchased a UQ (since I don't own equipment to make my own mods) and felt it was higher on the specialized equipment list

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    DIY Asym
    Insulation
    DIY Modular Quilt
    Suspension
    Whoopies/MSH
    Images
    What lilricky said.

Since the hammock wraps you, less of your top insulation is effective in cold weather. The fabric pressing against your body compresses the insulation, making it less effective (though, honestly, the MMSS is probably a lot less susceptible to that than an high-end down bag due to its insulation and construction methods; its uncompressibility is actually a plus here).

This is also the secret to greater comfort in the hammock; since your body weight is distributed over a larger area, there are fewer uncomfortable pressure points.

Hope it helps!
    "Just prepare what you can and enjoy the rest."
    --Floridahanger

Hammock
    HH , WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    the edge
    Insulation
    HG 40/0 phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    yes id have to agree here.. UQ first . Hammocks are very comfortable by themselves BUT adding a UQ (imho) takes it to a whole new level of comfort . That relaxing warmth on your back down to however long your quilt is. IS where its at.. The cottage quilt makers here tend to be very liberal with the down . That being said in my exp you can really get alot more out of their quilts than they advertise temps wise .becuase the workmanship level is so high .. a good uq isnt cheap by any means , but with these guys making thes great quilts here on HF .you get alot of bang for the buck .. My HG quilt is my favorite piece of my rig ..
    2cents

Hammock
    DIY UL w/ dynaglide whoopies (6oz)
    Tarp
    Hammock Gear Cuben
    Insulation
    Underground Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I'm going to go against the crowd on this one. Modified bags tend to make for heavy quilts and carrying two (one modified for an underquilt and one for a top quilt) can add considerable weight. You might consider starting with a closed cell pad for under insulation, especially if you have a double layer hammock, and carry just one bag as a top quilt.

Either way I would reccommend several trial nights to see how it all works together before heading out on the trail.
    Last edited by vampiresmiley; 09-11-2012 at 20:47.

• + New Posts