Hammock
    GrizzBridge Ariel
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Winter
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Images

sil on sides, dwr on bottom

When JRB announced their 2G weather-shield I wondered at the placement of the sil high and dwr low. Based on Shug's experiment I see that having a porous strip at the bottom gives at least a chance for pooled persperation to get away.

BUT the reason I wondered was that heat rises, vapor rises, I would expect that having breathable material high would let it out more easily than having it low will sil high. Also, breathable material high is less exposed to wind blown weather from under the tarp, you get more protection from sil low.

So DWR high and sil low is would I would have anticipated. The Jacks aren't dummies though. Other opinions???

Grizz

Hammock
    TeeDee Bridge Hammock
    Tarp
    Customized JRB
    Insulation
    Down or IX
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Another suggestion for a weather shield is a Dri Ducks Poncho.

It's almost exactly the right size, the material is great. The only potential problem would be the hood. I work around that by folding the hood down on the draw cord and then cinching the draw cord down real tight. That seals up the hood opening.

Then just rig the poncho under the hammock. It actually makes a very good weather shield and the cost is reasonable also, about $12.00

Images
    good point grizz, i thought air would escape up high along the edge of the ws either through any gap that was there or back though the breathable hammock body. there are likely circumstances where even breathable fabric can't breathe fast enough. 1.1 isn't exactly a loose weave even if it was completely untreated. the fibers are smaller (30-40d) and is tightly woven, this means it's less breathable just by its construction compared to say 1.9.

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    I just picked up a brand new car storage cover from Goodwill for $2.00. 14 x 8, with elastic all the way around the perimeter (to hold it on the car.) It is made of the same material as dri-ducks or a neat sheet. What a steal. I was thinking of cutting it up and using this as a pod or sock, but haven't had the chance to play with it. I could have picked up 4 or 5 of these covers. Light, breathable and water resistant. And a nice grey, so not obnoxious.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post

It's almost exactly the right size, the material is great. The only potential problem would be the hood. I work around that by folding the hood down on the draw cord and then cinching the draw cord down real tight. That seals up the hood opening.

Then just rig the poncho under the hammock. It actually makes a very good weather shield and the cost is reasonable also, about $12.00

I forgot about these and I even own one.

I second TF's recommendation. Dual purpose item also.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TiredFeet View Post

Haaaa .... I just ordered one! I will make one from this and test both as the weather here starts dropping. Also, instead of a sock, which I just never had success with (mucho condensation). A top will be crafted as well. Possibly connecting the two with omni tape. Hope to keep out drifting, blowing snow and use my smaller tarp with ends closed as much as they will.
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12