Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast
    I had a few moments today to look through some web sites and gather a list of the 8 sites along the LHHT the mileages to them in correspondence to the overall trail miles. From this I have gotten two possibilities, which may change based on the reply I get from my email that I sent to the Rangers and staff.

First is the complete listing, then the possibilities, as always if there is any information that is incorrect please either let me know or fix it.

Start-

PA 56 Trailhead- Mile 70

Hike 5.1 miles

Rt 56 Decker Ave site- Mile 64.9

Hike 8 miles

Rt 271 Site- Mile 56.9

Hike 10.4 miles

Rt 30 site- Mile 46.5

Hike 8.3 miles

Turnpike site- Mile 38.2

Hike 5.7 miles

Rt 31 site- Mile 32.5

Hike 8.5 miles

Grindle Ridge site- Mile 24

Hike 5.5 miles

Rt 653 site- Mile 18.5

Hike 12.2 miles

Ohio site- Mile 6.3

Hike 6.3 miles

End at OhioPyle St Pk

Now for the two possible hikes, I will just post the sites, from there you can figure out the total mileages with what I have posted above.

1st-

Start at PA 56 trailhead

Rt56

Rt 271

Rt 30

Rt 31

Rt 653

Ohio

End @ OhioPyle

2nd-

Start @ PA 56 trailhead

Rt56

Rt 271

Rt 30

Turnpike

Grindle

Rt 653

Ohio

End @ OhioPyle

The dates of the first one would end up being 8/4 - 8/10 and the second one would be 8/4 - 8/11. These dates are just tentative, pending the final outcome of the email reply but will most likely be starting on the 4th. There is a possibility that I may get out there on the night of the 3rd which others may want to chime in on this as we would be requiring some form of a shuttle. Whether it be from one of our vehicles (or two depending on group size) or paying for a shuttle service (more that go the less the shuttle bill per person could end up being). But this all could be worked out as the date gets closer.

FWIW I have looked at the elevation profile many times and this seems to be a slightly less strenuous hike (a gentile hike so to speak) in the direction that I have chosen, so for those whom feel they cannot put the miles in, it may very well end up being easier than one thinks. It appears that there is very little elevation change for almost everyday, a few hundred here and there but nothing to what one would experience on say the AT. The hardest day would end up being the first day, which for both possibilities is the same (5.1 miles).

Either way if there are those whom feel that they cannot do it I completely understand, and still have the utmost respect. But if you are able to help us in anyways that would be greatly appreciated by me, and I am sure by all.

The two tasks that are still up in the air (well one is pretty much taken care of) is a shuttle and food drop. As the date gets closer I will speak with a friend whom has shown interest in helping with the food drop, and once final details are worked out names and addresses will be exchanged so that you food box can be sent (in time if something should happen to replace it). Once the route is decided then I will work on the drop point, which should be fairly easy since there are parking lots all along the route. Which brings up another possibility is for those who can only do half you could meet us at the drop point and hike with us from there? Plus many more possible entry spots.

Let me know what you think.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway
    It's always best if your an early riser!

Hammock
    BIAS WW, DIY
    Tarp
    Toxaway, Tadpole
    Insulation
    Phoenix,Yeti, Bag
    Suspension
    WB Adj.,or Whoopie
    Images
    Been following this thread all along-would like to do it if work allows. Thanks for all the research.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Thanks for the mileage, Yoda. I'm either in for the hike or to help with the food drop or both. My sister lives in the area and I'm pretty sure she can help with the food drop if I'm hiking.

I won't need shuttle. I'll get someone to drop me at the Johnstown end and then get someone to pick me up at Ohiopyle, which is less than an hour from where I live.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    Thanks for the mileage, Yoda. I'm either in for the hike or to help with the food drop or both. My sister lives in the area and I'm pretty sure she can help with the food drop if I'm hiking.

I won't need shuttle. I'll get someone to drop me at the Johnstown end and then get someone to pick me up at Ohiopyle, which is less than an hour from where I live.
    Sounds wonderful, thank you soooooo very much for all your help (and continued help) you are a wonderful person. I really hope that you are up to the hike, I have been looking over the info again and it seems that the only real rough day is the first day which has a decent climb, but after that the ups and downs are relatively small and short.

Also as I said before it may be possible for you (or anyone else for that matter) to meet in the middle and do the last half, 3 days maybe.

I will touch basis with you as it gets closer and the details of everything get worked out as far as the Ranger/Staff info comes in. I will keep everyone updated via this thread and if needed I will send out PM's.
    "yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery, but today is a gift---thats why its called a present" - Master Oogway

Some info received-

So I had sent out an email some time ago and have yet to get a response. Luckily I have made some spectacular friends here on HF and got a different email address for a different person. From which I got some answers to some of my questions, here are the responses as they may help others in the quest of planning for the LHHT hike:

Thank you for your e-mail. I am sorry that your e-mail was missed. Below you will find three attached website that should help you with your plan. The Laurel ridge website does give you access to maps of the trails. The maps are small, but you can enlarge them. Another possibility is purchasing a copy of the “ Hiker’s Guide to the Laurel Highlands Trail” available from the Sierra Club Allegheny Group. www.alleghenysc.org I far as I know there are no discounts for doing the whole trail, nor does there appear to be drop boxes. The regulations on the hiking trail website will explain methods of payment.

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/stateparks/lhht/index.htm Laurel Highlands Hiking Trail

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...idge/index.htm Laurel Ridge

http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/statepar...pyle/index.htm Ohiopyle

Also I checked the web site for the registration process and it is a royal pain, one much register for each site planned to stop at, the plus is that you can pay for it all in one shot. But you must register on the DCNR site so that you can reserve the camp site (s) for which you plan on staying at.

Here in a few weeks I shall finalize my plans (with input from those whom will be coming with me) on which sites I will be staying at and reserving for the hike. I hope to have all this completed by the middle/end of June, although it is looking as though it will be the end of June (need to make my finances stretch). I will post here when this is done/completed, and if there were any changes to the plans (sites not available type of thing).

Also the one thing that has not been worked out as of yet is a shuttle. I know that there is a shuttle service for the LHHT and will be looking into the cost of this, but if there is anyone in the area whom can shuttle those who are hiking. Or if a plan to park some vehicles at the end and some at the beginning may be the best will need to be worked out.

So since the recent weather change, or should I say "the oven got turned on" in my area I wanted to post this up, even though as much as it hurts to say this........Given the recent rise in temp (in the 90's and extremely humid), I am fearful that the temp may reach a "unsafe" level.

While I don't mind being out in the summer, or hotter weather, I am rather concerned for not just my safety, but others as well. If the temp get's too high (well over 100*) and the humidity stays high along with it I may have to cancel and reschedule this trip. I know trying to plan something for the summer was going to be a long shot, and it pains me to not go hiking, I just feel that health and safety are paramount.

One thing to consider is that there is a cancellation fee if one has already registered (and paid) on the web site. And I am not too sure how far out one must do this, maybe something to look into.

Either way I will keep this thread updated no matter what happens. As of now my plans are to register and pay for the sites in July, and the most likely trip will be the 4th - 10th (the first choice) as I will have to be back to pack for our family camping trip the following week.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I think that's a wise decision. Safety first. I'm not sure how my busted ankle would fare in either month so I'm out for the hike but would be willing to help with any food drops should you decide you need them. I'll keep reading the thread for updates!

Quote Originally Posted by HappyCamper View Post
    I think that's a wise decision. Safety first. I'm not sure how my busted ankle would fare in either month so I'm out for the hike but would be willing to help with any food drops should you decide you need them. I'll keep reading the thread for updates!
    I felt so as well. So sorry, that sucks I was looking forward to hiking with you. But I completely understand, you do what is best to make sure you heal well and properly, there will be other hikes.

Thank you again for all of your help, and continued help. I will let you know what happens, and keep you up to speed on any/all decisions.

Hammock
    Clark NX250
    Tarp
    Clark Std. XL Tarp
    Insulation
    KAQ-Lost River
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I was waiting till July to register anyways as I believe they will only take reservations no more than 30 days in advance anyways. Am I correct?
    But anyways:
    I hike in hot weather all the time. Just a bit slower at a more relaxed pace in my hiking Kilt ( in true Scottish style).
    I Just camel up with more water than usual. Warmer weather and higher humidity just means to pace your hike. It also means less weight as I dont pack an UQ and I carry a lighter TQ as well. So at least thats the good side of summer conditions!!
    So I will keep my eyes posted on this thread.
    MML--The Man, The Myth, and the Legend

"I am the eagle, I live in high country, in rocky cathedrals that reach to the sky;
    I am the hawk and there's blood on my feathers, but time is still turning they soon will be dry;
    All those who see me, and all who believe in me, share in the freedom I feel when I fly.”
    John Denver--1943-1997

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MML View Post
    It also means less weight as I dont pack an UQ and I carry a lighter TQ as well. So at least thats the good side of summer conditions!!
    This is how I look at summer conditions as well. Pack light and slower hiking. And to get up early to hike when it's cooler. Take a longer lunch and nap in the heat of afternoon and hike later in afternoon and into evening when it's cooler and stays lighter longer. But August can be brutal so I can understand the change in dates.

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast