Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    I made some with the black tubing for the ridgeline. It works well unless it's windy - then the wind blows the ridgeline off-center...in the rain that could be a problem.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    JRB BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB UQ of season
    Images
    Couple comments on STLs....

First, Smee and I prefer to use them on down points only.... this allows selection of closer trees, which ultimately means less hammock suspension stretch, more stable hang, better to great end protection (depending on the trees) for both wind and rain from the end (very significant point for those using hex or dimaond/square tarps

Thus we use straight ties for the ridge line to closer trees (see above for benefits)....For the tarp the major benefit here is it can be made very tight on the primary axis which overall contributes to a more taut solution than STL on all points.

Use of STLs comes with some risk.... You are in fact using a form of partially elastic line...YOU CAN LAUNCH A PEG IF NOT CAREFUL...Accordingly, JRB restricts each STL to between 4.5 and 5 inches of stretch.... This enough to take up any over night tarp stretch when deployed on the tarp down points...with minimum elastic requirements...DIY are well advised to keep your max stretch to these limits...

Each color of Theraband, as well as sling shot elastic and medical surgical tubing has different strength properties because they have not only different chemical mixes but more importantly they have different inside diameters and different wall thickness ....Thus each requires different sized cord diameters and knot selection for proper function.

Finally, interior threaded STL are much better than exterior elastic tied into lines...IMHO....As there is less to tangle in the packing/unpacking....And, there is never a loose loop trip/snag hazard in the morning that occurs when the line is often relaxed due to tarp stretch that reached the design limit of the stl.

Although we are a hammock site, tenters who have ever experiance heavy condensation when the tops stretched and laid on the net /vents which turned the small tent into an "indian sweat lodge" are also well advised to use the high side tie outs that are often ignored or their tents... And to Use some form of Self Tensioning Line so that the designed ventilation feature of the tent is maintained through periods of silnyl stretch (Rain and or heavy dew).

Pan
    Ounces to Grams.

www.jacksrbetter.com ... Largest supplier of camping quilts and under quilts...Home of the Original Nest Under Quilt, and Bear Mountain Bridge Hammock. 800 595 0413

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    From the Thera-band site:

Tan
    .062 ID x .031 wall

Yellow
    .200 ID x .045 wall

Red
    .200 ID x .057 wall

Green
    .200 ID x .069 wall

Blue
    .200 ID x .085 wall

Black
    .200 ID x .098 wall

Silver
    .200 ID x .125 wall
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    HH Expd Asm or DIY or WBBB or .....
    Tarp
    HH Hex
    Insulation
    DIY UQ / CCF Pad
    Suspension
    Whoopie!!!....
    Images
    Strength rating at 100% stretch??

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/ima...SIN=B0010VQO9O
    My knife is so sharp it cut the sixth finger off my right hand! On the plus side, Inigo Montoya no longer hunts me.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    My post wasn't very clear when I said it "works well" - I don't use the tensioners on the ridgeline because of the wind deflection. Aside from increasing the distance needed between the trees, tensioners on the ridgeline also must fight the weight of the tarp, where tensioners on the tie-out points are cooperating with gravity to keep the tarp taut.

I don't know why I said "works well"...they do keep the tarp taut but it's not worth the risk of wind blowing it off center.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    My post wasn't very clear when I said it "works well" - I don't use the tensioners on the ridgeline because of the wind deflection. Aside from increasing the distance needed between the trees, tensioners on the ridgeline also must fight the weight of the tarp, where tensioners on the tie-out points are cooperating with gravity to keep the tarp taut.

I don't know why I said "works well"...they do keep the tarp taut but it's not worth the risk of wind blowing it off center.

Yep, had the same issue when trying tensioners on a ridgeline. The ridgeline is the ONE tie-out (actually, two) that needs to be ridgid. Now if you could use two tensioners per ridgeline tie-out, and tie them in opposing directions, that may combat the deflection. Or use a pole mod to stiffen the ridgeline, that would also minimize the deflection. I'm going to try my monster tensioners on the ridgeline, as they obviously have less stretch than my 1/4 surgical tubing. But they are going to be heavy.

BTW, thanks for the instructions on those, Jeff. Your site has to be the most useful thing on the Internet. Your site, then this one - then maybe weather and ebay!

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Glad you find the site useful. I based that project (and the page) from donredondo's instructions posted to Rock's site, though - he was the one who adapted the surfboard leash idea to these tensioners.

I'm keeping a list of all the things that need to be updated on the site...my job doesn't give me much time anymore, though.

There is something I don't understand here re. the complication of tensioners. I don't understand the need to buy/make STLs and the variety of colours thus needed (no disrespect intended). I have only slept in my Hennessy a couple of times, the first in drizzle, soon realizing the value (again) of tensioners for a tent/hammock fly. I use tensioners for the fly of my ground tent all the time.

What I used are shock cords from MEC (or any camping store). Or I use mini-bungie cords with a hook at each end (particularly for the ground tent or table canopy when car camping).

Now I have lengths of shock cord to attach as a line to my Hennessy fly 'outriggers' - to ground, or made into a loop for tarp tensioning to the ridgeline prussic hooks. Bowlines work well for the downward tarp/fly tensioners (at peg) or fisherman's knots (back to back overhand knots) for the loops on the fly/ridge-line tie-outs (if it is not going to be windy) or to join the shock cord to the fly tie-outs. Of course you can extend your H-hammock tie-outs the same way if the trees (whatever) are far apart. MEC even has black shock cord for stealth.

It seems so simple and easy. If the total number of elastics within the shock cord all fail at the same time the outer shell will still hold the fly in place. I just don't get why it has to be more complicated than that.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Well, then do what works for you!

I think shockcord has a lower breaking strength than the guyline I use on my fly...so if the shockcord does break I'll still have the guyline to hold the tarp in place. Same with the rubber tubing...but putting the guyline inside is just a neater way to do it so there are no loops to catch or anything.

The different colors of tubing are just different strengths.

But if you've found a system that works for you, stick with it...no need to complicate things beyond what you're comfortable with!

I am not arguing that your system isn’t neat, and probably strong. I guess the operative phrase here is "if the shock cord DOES break", which it probably won't do all at once.

Anyway, I fully acknowledge that I am more enthusiastic re. hammock camping than I am experienced - although when it comes to car or ground/canoe camping I have been there.

Cheers,
    Greg

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast