Warbonnet Blackbird XLC 1.1 double
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ
    Suspension
    WB webbing
    Images
    okay, tried to fix the baffles to the darts on my test piece. It's a bit tough to get it neat, but then looks very nice indeed.

About the corners: Trying it on the same test piece, I think I like your method! I'll try combining it with doogie's. The way you fold the "triangle" over on itself should prevent any down from escaping while still allowing the seam allowance to be folded outward - which, in turn, allows for the lid to be attached with a nice rolled hem. That, them should allow for a nice suspension channel without the need for grosgrain ... hmmmm...

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Funny, I was thinking about how to sew the baffles to the darts the other day--And I still couldn't process it out to completion. I was getting hung up on the edge chambers. Its good to hear you were able to get it to work well.

I'm glad you are practicing with the corners. On the first corner I did (without planning), I cut a piece out of the corner, and ended up with an open seam along one edge that had no excess material to close it off. I had to sew a few lines of stitches further in from the edge to close it off and then make sure the grosgrain was sewn further back from the edge over that section. After that I used sheets of paper to figure out a better way. it took a bunch of tries, but ended up working OK. Shortly after that I saw Doogie's great picture tutorial and method that would have saved a buch of trial and error.

Sounds like some pictures are due--you need to start a new thread to make sure others get to see the baffle to dart technique-you may really be onto something.
    As far as the grosgrain channels - I too am not sure if they are really needed. I felt that they added a bunch of weight to my quilt. I thought I needed the strength and abrasion resistance of the GG but I am begining to think not, at least not on the lighter quilts.
    Jason

Quote Originally Posted by bubba74 View Post
    okay, tried to fix the baffles to the darts on my test piece. It's a bit tough to get it neat, but then looks very nice indeed.

About the corners: Trying it on the same test piece, I think I like your method! I'll try combining it with doogie's. The way you fold the "triangle" over on itself should prevent any down from escaping while still allowing the seam allowance to be folded outward - which, in turn, allows for the lid to be attached with a nice rolled hem. That, them should allow for a nice suspension channel without the need for grosgrain ... hmmmm...

Alright this is probably the most simple question. What are you using to mark lines? I have tailors chalk, fabric pen (washable) and none of them work well. Your lines look very clean, I'm assuming it is some type of marker..

Hammock
    Thunderbird, DIY 11'
    Tarp
    Superfly, HG
    Insulation
    DIY, HG, UGQ
    Suspension
    lots
    Images
    Hi brewguy
    it is just a regular fabric pencil in white. You can find them at fabric stores or order from amazon. it wipes off with a damp rag. Some of the brands are really brittle and seem to break every other line and some hold up normally. I have no idea which are the better brands, I just use what I can find.

• + New Posts
  • Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345