Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images

First hammock for a fat guy

I wish I could say that money is no option, but I'd be a dirty, dirty liar.

So looking around for a hammock that would support me and everything that's built in to me (bringing me in at a svelte and sexy 366 lbs), I came across this little guy:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/camping-Para...item3a7985bf66

Any opinions?

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    YOU are not out much, the "Seller has a lot of negative, and neutral feed back. Pretty shakey dealer. If you purchase you can send it back, file a complaint with paypal or ebay. You might get something useful for you to get started with, probably will not last very long, but give you an idea if you want to hang.

My suggestion is to be sure not to hang it very far off the ground, and besure there is nothing under the hammock that will hurt you if you fall. I always move rocks and sticks out of the way just incase something fails. Also if you purchase it check it over carefully each time you use it.

ENO's go up to 400 pounds, both the single and double. They are kind of a known brand that does stand behind their product. You could also make your own hammock.

A guy gave me his REI tent that he lost the poles for, something like that can be used to make a tent, old parashoots give you gobs of nylon to work with.

Check the trees you are going to hang from carefully, you do not want them coming down.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Well, I haven't bought it yet, so at the moment I'm out nothing...and to hear you say, it doesn't seem like I'd do well to go with an "Ebay Special," as I'll call it.

I considered making my own, but I need to invest in a sewing machine first. It parachute nylon worth a **** on it's own, or would I need to double (or even triple) the layers?

Hammock
    Varies
    Tarp
    GargoyleGear Ogee
    Insulation
    UQ-varies w/season
    Suspension
    Dutchgear
    That's a pretty small hammock for a big guy...I don't think you'll be happy with it.
    Dave

"Loneliness is the poverty of self; solitude is the richness of self."~~~May Sarton

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Check out a tablecloth hammock. It's long (126"), cheap ($12.99 per hammock blank), and strong.

Here's a thread on them.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...leclothfactory

I made a double-layer with two tablecloths. I'd imagine a double-layer would easily hold a 500 lb. man.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Long is an integral part of this thing, as I'm not only weighing in high, but I'm carrying it all on a 6'4" frame.

then you definitely don't want the ebay hammock - it's about the same size as the wal-mart $25 special.
    I'm 6'1" 260 and found the wally world moddel to be uncomfortably snug aorund the shoulders.
    tablecloth DIY, bias, arrowhead, grand trunk double, trek light double, etc... -- lots of choices that can carry 400 pounds for less than $100.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Tablecloth will absolutely be my first DIY.

Since dollars are (as previously mentioned) a factor in this, I'm strongly considering an ENO DoubleNest Deluxe (http://www.eaglesnestoutfittersinc.c...LE-DELUXE.html) as my first purchase. I'd prefer a WBBB, but that'll have to come when my money tree comes to maturity.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Just wanted to chime in and note that you can DIY a tablecloth hammock without sewing. They come pre-hemmed and you can whip the ends as opposed to sewing end channels. Not sure if one is stronger than the other (if anything, I would think whipping would be more reliable than stitches), so you might want someone else to give their piece about that. But yeah, it can be done without sewing, and those things are crazy cheap.

EDIT: Thought I'd also add that, while the ENO DN is a fantastic hammock that many are very happy with, I'm only 5'10" and find it to be a smidge short. My $0.02.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    My sheer manliness
    Suspension
    Whatever works
    If a sewing machine or sewing is your reservation for DIY, you can make a tablecloth hammock without any sewing, by whipping the ends. By far the cheapest and easiest way to start hanging, and wouldn't take you more than a half hour of work, and that includes some researching around these forums on whipping how-to.

The fabric seems strong enough to support you without adding on an extra layer. I have had the whole family in mine (the 90" wide version) easily over 375lbs, and I felt it could have held more.

You will probably want a wider hammock. "how wide" is a very subjective question, but the 60" X 126" size tablecloths would be a good size to start. I definitely wouldn't go lower than that.

I also have an ENO doublenest which has also held the whole family without effort. Great little hammock, very light, and comfy. It has a much more silky and stretchy fabric than the taffeta tablecloths. I will mention, that the ENO's are a tad shorter by comparison (mine is even shorter than their advertised length), so it might be more difficult to find that 'sweet spot' on an ENO with your height.

Good luck with your quest!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast