Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    He's already been in one and he said it made a big difference. The length seems to solve more of the issue than the width does but I'm still gonna make it wide.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I see you prefer a gathered end to a channeled end. Why?

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    My hammock has sewn channels on each end, the process of running the suspension through it gathers the ends. Another type of hammock that is not gathered is a bridge hammock which has spreader bars on each end that spreads the fabric. Some folks prefer these over gathered ends for a flatter lay. I prefer gathered end for the cradling feeling.
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Going back to this post, when you say you made a double-layer...does that mean you stacked two and ran a new hem around both of them?

If so, what are your thoughts about running them hem around the two short dimensions and one of the long ones, leaving an opening between the two layers to accommodate a pad or other layer for cold weather?
    Yes, exactly. I thought I had posted a video of my double-layer tableclothfactory hammock, but apparently I did that in my mind.

I basically modeled my tablecloth double layer on the Buttinasling double layer. I bought one of the first prototypes, but I doubt the design has changed much.

I hemmed the two tablecloths together, leaving a 28" opening in the middle of one side (126-28/2 were my measurements from the ends). My BIAS DL prototype has the opening at the top of one side, and I always have a hard time finding the opening - I basically have to check all four corners to find the darned opening. With the pad opening in the middle, I only have to check one side or the other for the pad opening. Like I said, my BIAS DL is an early prototype - I don't know if they changed the design.

Once the two tablecloths were sewn together (single stitch), I then made a 2 inch channel on both ends (triple-stitched like the BIAS). Whipping just doesn't make any sense to me - that ball of fabric just looks ridiculous. I like sewn channels because I can adjust the way the fabric bunches up (not that I ever do) by just loosening the larkshead on the continuous loop running through the channel. Some people say that whipping provides the same adjustability, but I just didn't go down that path 'cause I have a thread injector. And channels just seem sturdier to me.

I also like sewn channels so I can use Dutch Whoopie Hooks, rather than attach my whoopie slings directly to the ball of fabric on whipped hammocks. I suppose you could also put a larksheaded continuous loop on a whipped-end hammock, but the concept of whipped-end hammocks doesn't appeal to me. Above all, I don't want my suspension to be connected to my hammock - suspensions get wet but that doesn't mean my hammock has to be packed away with a wet suspension - that's why I keep them separate.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 09-11-2012 at 22:58.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Overall, I'm digging the idea.

Step 1: Buy a sewing machine.
    Step 2: Google "Thread injector."
    Step 3: Win at hammocks.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I think the question is whipped versus channel - both are gathered-end hammocks. HF members correct me if I'm wrong, but most commercial camping hammocks are gathered-end. Notable exceptions would be bridge hammocks (BMBH, Ridgerunner), Brazilian hammocks, and the weird shroud thing on Byer Moskito Hammocks. There may be other ways of gathering (or not) the ends of a hammocks that I'm missing.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I think the question is whipped versus channel - both are gathered-end hammocks. HF members correct me if I'm wrong, but most commercial camping hammocks are gathered-end. Notable exceptions would be bridge hammocks (BMBH, Ridgerunner), Brazilian hammocks, and the weird shroud thing on Byer Moskito Hammocks. There may be other ways of gathering (or not) the ends of a hammocks that I'm missing.
    I think you're right. I caught what I was missing pretty immediately after it was pointed out to me.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    I picked up my first injector at Goodwill for $12. A little work and some ingenuity later and I had perfectly straight stitches - all you really need for gear making. Moral of the story is make sure you check some thrift stores before you end up spending enough on an injector to have bought a blackbird outright, LOL.

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    The GoodWill Stores here have caught onto the interest in thread injectors, the prices recently have gone from $19.00 up to 40 or 50, without any extras like feet. 99% are junk.

Salvation Army has some good deals, I found a very nice machine for $12.00, with all the attachments, it runs very well, I would have paid that for the Walking Foot alone. The darned machine weighs a tone, not much plastic in it. I see a lot of men at yard sales looking over thread injectors.

You really need to know what you are looking for, the machines are out there, but you need to know what you are looking at.

Very much buyer beware, I would also be very cautious where there have been floods within the past year or so. You probably do not want a machine that has been wet.

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Old Eddie Bauer
    Insulation
    Bag and pad
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Buy the really big crinkle taffeta tablecloth for cheap (single layer, it will hold you). Barter for some suspension from a person on here. Hang for under $30.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast