Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hanging in Yosemite???

I'm planning a trip to Yosemite NP and maybe Sequoia for the end of Sept. into Oct. Do folks hammock camp in and around the park? I wonder if the trees are too big? Are there areas too open/treeless? Too cold?
    Are folks hanging there or should I plan on tenting instead???
    Please reply only if you have experience in the area.

I've never been to that area of the country. I just got a Western Mountaineering Mitylite bag that I will try to use as a "Pod". It's hoodless, with a cinch cord at the top, and has a foot zipper; rated to 40*. I tried it today and it seems like it might work nicely (but it wasn't cold out). I've been led to believe the temps should stay well above freezing at that time. I am trying this because I just don't have time to order or make an UQ. Who has used a pod and what do you think?
    Please reply only if you have experience with this.

Also, I've never been to high elevation before, how worried should this east coast boy be? What other advice would you give?
    Thanks!

If anyone wants to hang out in Yosemite after Sept. 25 let me know.

Hammock
    WBRR, 35 inch dogbones
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole/OMWintr
    Insulation
    UGQ/HG/AHE
    Suspension
    Whoops/Dutch Bling
    Images
    Stay away from the field mice. happy hanging!
    2nd CAG, CAP 2-1-5 5th Marines, 1st Mar. Div.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Combined_Action_Program

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WB, ZPacks
    Insulation
    Incubators/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoppie/Strap
    Images
    I was in Yosemite a few Octobers ago and got snowed on. They ended up closing the pass on the east end of the park And I got stuck. Had to drive all the way around through Tahoe to get home. Be prepared for those conditions if you go that time of year. Yes there are trees lot of them in the backcountry. You'll also have to carry a bear canister with you. I hate carrying one which is probably the main reason I have yet to go back there. Also avoid Curry Village if you haven't heard. I don't think you'll have a problem with the elevation as long as you are in hiking shape. Some of the trail up by the water falls can be a bit slippery and wet from the spray. A little hard on the knees especially on the downhill. Recommend a good set of hiking poles.

Have fun if you go and be safe.

S

Hammock
    WBBB, WBRR, WL Snipe
    Tarp
    OES10x12catcutSpin
    Insulation
    Yeti,HG
    Suspension
    webbing
    Images
    What part of Yosemite are you headed to? I was there 2 yrs. ago and drove thru this year and there are plenty of trees to hang from. My WB straps where plenty long for some large trees in Little Yosemite Valley and in the Backpacker camp.

Elevation effects different people different ways so its hard to say how it might effect you. I'm from NC and I have not had any problems.

You should take extra straps and a good down coat. I was in Kings Canyon in August it was 110 degrees in Fresno and dropped to the 50's up in the park.

Have a good trip, the views are awesome

Hammock
    DIY Single layer
    Tarp
    Nyl Shwr Crtn Linr
    Insulation
    DIY Down 2/3 UQ
    Suspension
    Straps and Cams
    Images
    There will be plenty of trees, big ones! So bring extra straps. You might want to call the parks to find out the official policy on hammocking. I know hammocks are frowned upon (ignorance), I'm not sure if their downright restricted. I've hung in Sequoia before, but didn't encounter a ranger while my rig was up.
    Elevation could be an issue if you plan on spending multiple nights above say . . . 9k. Hike high (ascend) during the day, and try to sleep low (descend) at night. Bring Ibupof. and descend if you experience a prolonged headache.
    The weather should be fine, we've got a high pressure front moving in and our forecast looks pretty stable after that. You should be golden for late this month into Oct. but be prepared for temps to dip below 30* briefly overnight (depending on elevation).
    You've never visited the Central Sierras . . . You my friend are in for a treat! Just remember to do some neck stretches every morning . . . when you get here, you'll understand.

P.S. Fall colors are great, plan a return trip in the spring to see the waterfalls cresting (wow!).

Hammock
    HH , WBBB 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    the edge
    Insulation
    HG 40/0 phoenix
    Suspension
    whoopies
    i hope you have a great trip !!!!

Hammock
    Switchback/Treklite
    Tarp
    BWDD WinterDream
    Insulation
    IX 5-in-1/WM bag
    Suspension
    Whoopies/TL Stand
    I have used the WM Mitylite as a pod in warmer conditions, with a fleece blanket as a TQ inside; and also have fashioned the Mitylite as an underquilt by using shockcord tied various ways, with another down sleeping bag as a top quilt in cooler "shoulder" weather. My advice is that in your situation you will want to use your Mitylite as an UQ, practicing that before your trip. Use something else as your TQ. Also consider adding something else as protective covering and windshield for the UQ. Turtlelady

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Hammockgear
    Insulation
    Te-Wa & JRB
    Suspension
    Whoopie

Plenty of trees

There are plenty of trees to hang both in the valley and through out the backcountry. If you are car camping, some camp-host will tell you to put a towel between the tree and the tree straps, so just have an old towel in your car. Once you are in the back-country, not a whole lot of people tell you what to do.

Have a great time.

Hammock
    WB, JRB, WL
    Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images
    i was in Sequoia and Yosemite in August. The rangers said OK to use hammocks in the picnic areas (we were day hiking), and Also ok in back country. Campgrounds run by different managements - call ahead imho for campgrounds.

We talked with several back country hikers who said hammocks are used by many backcountry hikers (when they are below the tree line of course).

Have a great trip!
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    Like eaglej, I have been through Yosemite and the joint park known as SEKI (Sequoia, Kings Canyon) National Parks. SEKI has the lions share of the huge trees (kinda goes with the name "Sequoia") and there are some groves in Yosemite. Both parks should afford you the ability to find trees small enough to get straps around although the challenge is greater in SEKI. Some of the largest would require straps in the neighborhood of 100' or so but again, plenty of decent sized hanging trees.

To echo eaglej on temperatures, there are vast temperature drops from the central valley to the parks alone and overnight temps can drop quite a bit so bring the thermals.

Regardless of the temperature swings or the struggle to find the right sized trees the views will take your breath away and well worth any inconvenience or bit of discomfort you may encounter.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast