Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Images
    I think there would have to be an asym cut. When I look at mine, there is not a bunching of material at the ends.

I was thinking that a retangle with an asym cut tapering to a blunt point has promise. The tapering could help hold the edges opener and make the hammock lay flater and more asym. This would take away from the bath tub feel of a speer.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    here's a picture of a net-less HH in action.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...5/P9020027.JPG
    the guy in the hammock closet to the camera is in one that i cut the net off of.
    he likes it.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    I think there would have to be an asym cut. When I look at mine, there is not a bunching of material at the ends.

I was thinking that a retangle with an asym cut tapering to a blunt point has promise. The tapering could help hold the edges opener and make the hammock lay flater and more asym. This would take away from the bath tub feel of a speer.
    I always assumed they cut a parallelogram and then only gathered two corners....I might be way off there, though. Seems like it might not be strong enough?
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by blackbishop351 View Post
    I always assumed they cut a parallelogram and then only gathered two corners....I might be way off there, though. Seems like it might not be strong enough?
    I kinda thought the same thing. Smee's comment is going to make me take a closer look at my HH.

Images
    Here is what Hennessy has to say in the patent:
    Quote Originally Posted by Hennessy Asym patent on how hammock is made asym
    The bed can be formed from a rectangular sheet of material, but a non-rectangular asymmetric quadrilateral shape is preferred, as asymmetric shapes improve the opportunities to adjust the size and proportion of the hammock to differences in the human anatomy..........

In one form of the invention, the shape of the short sides of the fabric bed can be adjusted before folding. After the length of hammock fabric and the ridge line length are established, the shape of the fabric across the bottom of the hammock can be adjusted by changing the shape of the ends of the fabric A concave angle or curve cut into one or both ends would have the effect of raising the middle of the hammock relative to its sides. A convex angle or curve cut into the ends of the hammock would have the effect of lowering the bottom of the hammock relative to its sides. ..............
    In another embodiment, the distance that the lateral tension points are offset in opposite directions on either side of the suspension axis, and the resulting angle and leg lengths on each side of the suspension axis are also important factors determining the form and comfort of an asymmetrical hammock.

A further refinement of the asymmetrically shaped hammock is to use asymmetrically shaped pieces of material for the fabric bed. The adjustment of the lengths of each of the fabric bed's sides allows further refinements of shape to improve comfort, fit and economy. To improve balance for the occupant, making one side of the hammock longer than the other allows the occupant's lower torso, which generally weighs less than the upper torso, to project further to one side of the hammock and still remain balanced. Location of the occupant is an especially important factor when dealing with balance and weight distribution, which differ between men and women.

A second benefit of adjusting the lengths of the sides of the hammock is that less fabric is required at the end of the hammock where the occupant's body is narrower, that is, in the area around his legs and feet. This also results in a weight savings of the finished product.

After establishing the direction of the diagonal axis of the hammock bed, because the occupant will lie only in one direction on this new axis and will not be as comfortable lying diagonally in the other direction, it may be advantageous to increase the number of folds of fabric on one side of the suspension axis and to decrease the number of folds of fabric on the other side of the suspension axis in the reverse order at each end of the hammock bed to make better use of the fabric on the side of the hammock which will not be used by the occupant. When the number of folds of fabric is increased on the side of the hammock intended for the occupant, usable space will increase on that side and will provide an improvement in comfort for the occupant.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hennessy Asym patent on material
    For comfort, the material used for the bed preferably is a stretchy nylon or similar fabric. Nylon fabric stretches approximately 11%-15% and when an occupant moves onto the diagonal across these elastic fibers, these fibers stretch around the bulges of the anatomy and also support the concave areas of the torso, such as the lower spine.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Frolicking Dino View Post
    Here is what Hennessy has to say in the patent:

A second benefit of adjusting the lengths of the sides of the hammock is that less fabric is required at the end of the hammock where the occupant's body is narrower, that is, in the area around his legs and feet. This also results in a weight savings of the finished product.
    I guess I need to sit down and really read through the patent. I'm glad to see that I was on the right track in thinking that a asym pattern in going to save some weight.

Images
    To see the images (TIFF) you will need a browser plugin.

http://www.alternatiff.com/

Tim

Images
    Thanks Tim. I didn't realize the others were not able to view the pics. It is pretty clear from figures 14+ that the hammock cut is not a rectangle.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I will try the program linked to above, but the patent website uses some sort of Quicktime plugin. I can usually see the first couple of pics and then only half a pic and then no pic. It's a wierd problem that happens on any computer or with any browser I have tried.

EDIT:
    I installed Altertiff and dissociated .tiff files within Quicktime and still no luck. I think it's the website.
    Last edited by headchange4u; 02-16-2007 at 08:59.

Hammock
    Traveler
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben
    Insulation
    LeighLo/Yeti
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images

HH Images

If anyone would like a copy of the illustrations for the HH patent, let me know and I will email them to you.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast