Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
    Images
    Using the 4 side measurements and the alpha angle for patent image 18, I back fiddled the rest of the lengths and angles. I overlayed it on standard material. Angles other than alpha not shown but I have them if needed. I can plot any point and scale to any length.

Here it is overlayed on the actual patent image (in red). I expect the patent image has been distorted or it's not really 41 degrees but rather represents it.

Here's the same but scaled down and rotated to fit standard material. Long center length went from 103.5 down to 96.5. Easy to double the material but maybe not enough length. I'm only 5'6" but I believe I need 102" min. (76 + 24 +2) . Please correct me if this is wrong. Close up (macro) images of the 4 connecting ends on a HH would be very nice

On a grid with a 5' 6" stick dude.

How real is his angle?

Last edited by tsumrall; 02-18-2007 at 20:30.

Images
    Good work. I would want to get out my hammock and look at it. I think it is a little different where the knee side tie out is.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by headchange4u View Post
    I noticed when inspecting the hammock that instead of gathering the fabric at each end the edges of the hammock are rolled and then whipped. Take a look at your HH to see what I am talking about.

This "rolled edge" technique might work on a Speer-type hammock with favorable results. You may even be able to roll one edge more than the other to get an asymmetrical shape. I am going to experiment with this when I get a chance.

I also noticed something else about the HH that is interesting. The hammock is sewn together for a short distance at the head and foot end. You can see what I am talking about in slowhike's picture of a HH with the net removed:

This would create a cone effect on each end that is bound to influence the shape a of the HH.

The more I look at this HH the more I start to realize it would be hard to replicate the feel of this hammock in a DIY version unless you take it apart the HH to see how it was put together. I wish I could find one for sell that already has the netting removed. Then it would just be a matter of unwhipping it and taking measurements.
    I think what you see in the picture is the end of the HH Undercover sewn together and not the hammock itself. I have an undercover and it looks exactly like what's in the picture. It's also baggy under the hammock. If it was the hammock it would be taught.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    I think what you see in the picture is the end of the HH Undercover sewn together and not the hammock itself. I have an undercover and it looks exactly like what's in the picture. It's also baggy under the hammock. If it was the hammock it would be taught.

Stoikurt, its the hammock material that is sewn here. Its where the bug net is attached giving the bug net its diamond shape. I know, I took a look at my HHULB this weekend. I was doing some modifications to it.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Images
    I just got mine out and looked at it. Jazilla is right it is the undercover shown.

The rolls in the fabric you are talking about is what I think gives it the open feeling and not bunched at the ends like a normal hammock. They seem to start about a foot or so from the end. I'm going to incorporate them into my last asym hammock tonight and see what happens. I think they give more girth to the hammock, giving the flatter feel then a speer.

One problem I see is the whipping and holding the ends from coming off.

I cut the cover off of the ends of my HH. Just a wiretie holding the cover in place. It is rolled and then heat sealed with the sprectra running through the heat sealed ends.

I'm thinking that rolling the bottom fabric will gather the ends enough that I will not need to fold the ends much more. The HH's fabric does not go to a point. The folding and gathering up of it make it look like one. Hopefully there will be enough seam left to hold the whipping from sliding off. If not I'll add a seam.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    That may be the undercover in the pic but the ends of the hammock are sewn for a short distance, like Jazilla said, it's what gives the netting the diamond shape. If you have a HH to look at you can confirm this.

Images
    A little bit, but not that much. A side note, I just did a quick test. I think I am close to the HH feel with what I was doing before and adding the rolling. I just need to get how much to pull out the edges vs the middle to get the hammock shape without the shoulder squeeze.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    i think my friend jerome did have the under cover on his HH come to think of it, but i can't remember for sure.
    i'll call & see if he remembers... but yall that have a HH to look at, may figure it out before that.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    I don't dispute that the HH may be sewn a little at the end to accommodate the netting. But the picture is definately an Undercover. And it's wrong side out based on the corner (right below his knee) where the elastic side tie outs go. Right side out would have the corner up near his shoulder.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by stoikurt View Post
    I don't dispute that the HH may be sewn a little at the end to accommodate the netting. But the picture is definately an Undercover. And it's wrong side out based on the corner (right below his knee) where the elastic side tie outs go. Right side out would have the corner up near his shoulder.
    yep, i believe you're right. i can't get him out there to use it enough to know which way it goes on
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast