Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
    Images
    cool. Thanks for doing that for all of us. I am need of getting my hammock to lay flater.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by wilsonbmw View Post
    The head end is different from the foot end. The folds on both sides of the head end are the same. My current hypothesis is that the asym ( not really asymmetrical, has 180 degree rotational or point reflexive symmetry ) shape comes from the netting, and the fact that the corners are brought together and overlapped before the folding. The folding is what makes it lay so nice and flat when you get in it. I will do some more pics tomorrow that will be a series showing how to put it back together. I should really get back to studying for a final exam I have tomorrow.
    you talked about the netting helping to give it shape. that makes since, because my friends HH seemed to loose something after i cut the netting off.
    i hung it & a speer side by side & went back & forth between the two trying to figure out the difference.
    there was still a difference, but i believe the netting must play a part in the finished shape.
    so for that reason i had wanted to add a couple straps that connected to the sides & went over the ridge line or a short section of bugnet at each end to see if i could regain more of the original shape.
    just a thought.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Hey give Smee his due. He said it was the netting and the tie out points that gave it the asym feel. Ooh I feel a project coming on.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Yeah Smee had it right all along. Shoulda listened to the voice of experience.

I am glad that we got see how the HH is put together (big thanks to wilsonbmw). I learned a couple of interesting techniques in constructing a hammock and some information that will come in helpful in building that "perfect" hammock for me.

Images
    In the patent Tom describes using a rectangular shaped fabric, but also says that a irregular polygon was used. This is in the claims section. To me he seemed to describe two different designs. He says that using the irregular polygon allows one to use less fabric (less weight) and it also provides less fabric gathered at the wicked end. Also, in the patent it said the head end and the foot end were folded differently, but I cannot remember what the benefit to this was.

It seems to me that the "Asymmetrical Experiment" by Arkwater is the same way (or very close to) HH folds theirs. I could be wrong but it seems like it. I think the reason most have said it still is not as nice as the HH is because they didn't have the parallelogram netting on it.

Hammock
    Custom 1.7/1.1 WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    DIY SWT
    Insulation
    JRB Nest & DIY RMS
    Suspension
    Whoopee Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Jazilla View Post
    Hey give Smee his due. He said it was the netting and the tie out points that gave it the asym feel. Ooh I feel a project coming on.
    Me thinks Smee has probably already been there but preferred not to speak out. How else would his underquilts match so well.
    Stoikurt
    "Work to Live...Don't Live to Work!"

Images

HH style folding

Well, I applied what I learned from my destruction session on a homemade hammock. I used a simplified version of the way the HH head end was folded/gathered. I think the foot end was done differently because it has the entrance slit.
    It worked out great. Definitely an improvement. It felt flatter and it was great in the fetal position. (my preferred sleeping position in a hammock). Hennessy doesn't do anything to tighten up the outside edges because of the tie outs, so the gathering is done straight across. I tried this first then did it again pulling the outside corners out a little before whipping. It was an improvement since I was not using tie outs at the head and feet.

The simplified version is this:
    Lay out the hammock with the inside facing up.
    Fold the corners to the center and overlap them a little.
    Turn the hammock over, making sure you keep the corners overlapped and in line with the center of the hammock. Flatten it out.
    Take the outside edges and fold them in so they meet at the middle but don't overlap. Flatten it out.
    Repeat, take the outside edges and fold them to meet at the center.
    One last time, fold the outside edges in.
    Now, fold it up in half like a taco.
    The original outside corners should still be overlapped on the bottom of the taco. This is where Hennessy melts the end together and melts the holes through the sides. I just whipped it.

I posted a series of pics of the process. They are OK. The fabric I used makes it a little hard to see the folding.
    http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery....php?i=572&c=4

Images
    Hmmm? The only thing asymmetric about that would be the bug netting. Or am I missing something? Thank you for all the work you have done. I will make my first hammock next week. I am planning on making a poncho/tarp, no-sniveller, and hammock sock along with it. I have a lot to do, since I have to do everything twice (my wife needs one too).

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Nice job wlisonbmw. I am hoping to get the chance to set down this weekend and work on my own hammock.

Images
    Nice work.

You might want to sew a seam on the end of that before you use it. All my whipping pull right off and put me on the ground if I do not sew a seam on the end.

Thanks again. I didn't even think about folding, the flipping, and repeating. That would explain how the rolls held their shape.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts
  • Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast