Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images

Question Hennessy-style Asymmetrical Hammock Pattern?

I have really wanting to mod my HH by removing the bug net or adding a zipper, basically turning it into a top loading hammock. I have several mods in mind, but I really don't want to start cutting up a $100+ piece of gear.

I figure I have 2 options: Buy another HH just to mod or find a pattern and build what I want from scratch. I really don't want to shell out the money for another HH just to cut up and possible destroy. I would really like to start from the ground up, adding only the features I want, and since I have a lot of fabric I could use, it would be much cheaper.

Does anyone know where I could find the basic hammock body pattern that I could work with? I know there are some pictures in the Patent database, but I can't seem to ever view the pictures no matter what computer or browser I use.

Images
    I would start here. Not that I have thought about it or anything, but nothing like going straight to the source.

The pics are not showing up on my PC, it I have seen them there before. They may be in .pdf form.
    Last edited by Coffee; 02-14-2007 at 15:02.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I think if I were going to do this mod, here's how I'd go about it:

Sew the zipper into the hammock, with both halves together. That way you KNOW everything will be lined up when you're done. It'll be kind of a pain because you'll have to get the machine in through the slit, but I think it's doable. T-Back said he did his that way.

Once it's sewn in, THEN open the zipper a little at a time and cut the netting under the center of the teeth. This should leave some material on each side.

Roll the extra material over and sew a couple more lines. I think I'd add a flat strip of grosgrain on top too, for looks and strength.

I don't think it'd be THAT hard of a project. I may get some zipper soon and try it, especially since I don't use my HH much anymore. I think if the mod were successful, I might be a lot more tempted to hang it than I am now.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    HE,

I have seen that patent, but is for the non-asym hammock.The patents are available in .pdf you have to pay for them. I bought the one for the asymmetrical hammock but it doesn't really give any dimensions that I can work with that I have noticed. I have only skimmed through the document.

BB,

I know I could do the mods pretty easily, but I really not wanting to mess with my HH like that. I would rather try and buy one that has seen a little abuse and may not be in the best shape if I wanted to mod a HH.

Since I am wanting a top loading hammock the slit in the HH would be eliminated.

I really like the shape and comfort of my HH, but the more I use my zHammock the more I realize that the slit entry on the HH, while innovative, is becoming a little bit of a hassle.

Hammock
    HH Expedition
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield UQ
    Suspension
    Cinch buckles
    Images
    I couldn't get the pictures to show up except using I.E. and hitting Refresh every page. I didn't find a picture showing the shape they started with though.

I've tried pulling opposite corners of each end out some before whipping (gathering each end so one corner is pulled out more than the other). This gave me more room along that diagonal but it doesn't seem as pronounced as on my Hennessy. They start with a parallelogram shape vs. a rectangle shape as H.E. illustrates here:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=156

The dimensions of Hennessy's parallelograms are on the Comparison Chart page (second chart)
    http://www.hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.htm

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Redtail View Post
    I've tried pulling opposite corners of each end out some before whipping (gathering each end so one corner is pulled out more than the other). This gave me more room along that diagonal but it doesn't seem as pronounced as on my Hennessy. They start with a parallelogram shape vs. a rectangle shape as H.E. illustrates here:
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=156

The dimensions of Hennessy's parallelograms are on the Comparison Chart page (second chart)
    http://www.hennessyhammock.com/comparisonchart.htm
    I have tried HE whipping technique and it does produce a more asymmetrical style hammock that the standard Speer-type, but you are correct when you say that it still doesn't give that HH "feel". My zHammock with side tieouts gives me the most asym shape of any other method I have tried.

I am thinking, and correct me if I'm wrong, that starting with a HH shape will allow me save a little weight in the area of the hammock body. With a Speer-type hammock you start with a rectangular piece of fabric and then lie in it asymmetrically. In my mind that rectangular shape means extra fabric in the hammock body that may not be needed. If I start with a HH style asym pattern and size it to fit me it would eliminate that "extra fabric" and allow me to add things like zippers and stuff without worrying so much about the weight I am adding.

I could be totally wrong in thinking this and any weight savings might be very small, but I got it in my head to try and make a DIY HH-style hammock and now the idea is stuck in there .

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Go for it! Definitely post pix too!

I don't know that you're actually using the material better somehow (with respect to weight savings) in an asym. I think there may be more unused body material in my ULB than in my Speer-type.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    BMBH
    Tarp
    JRB 11x10 Cat Tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Quilt(s)
    Images

Hennessy Pattern

Guys,

If you spread any of your Hennessy Hammocks out on the ground and measure the material you will find that the hammock bottom itself is actually a simple rectangle. That's why our quilts work. We're matching a rectangular quilt to a rectangular hammock bottom, gathering the ends, and connecting them at the a-sym tie-out points. What makes the hammock a-sym is the cut of the no-see-um netting and the placement of the two a-sym tie-outs. It's that simple.

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Are all models that way? I remember reading something in the patent a while back that made it sound like the fabric was cut asym, and it's also cut on a bias. But I'm not gonna take mine apart to find out.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast