Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Images
    I was not able to see them at first. I unstalled the link above, and now I can.

I think they are helpful to show the point. Put they do not give any dimensions or anything. They just show someone on a rectangle there the tieouts look to be on opposite corners.

I think a reverse engineering of the HH would give better results. But a tear appart, but a close inspection. Maybe taking apart the whipping cover at most.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images

pattern

Patrick, of Kick *** Quilts, has a pattern, with dimensions posted on his how to make your own underquilt page.

http://www.kickassquilts.com/Make1.html

Maybe this will help your with the top. I don't know if hennessy's come in sizes.

Tom

Hammock
    Dream Hammock
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    20* zepplin/DIY TQ
    Suspension
    Straps/Buckles
    Images
    Southmark,can you email me. I am going to try making an asym hammock and I think it a pttern might help in design.
    Yosemite Sam: Are you trying to make me look a fool?
    Bugs: You don't need me to make you look like a fool.
    Yosemite Sam: Yer deerrrnnn right I don't!

Images

C'mon, you can do it!

First, let me give you some justification for taking your HH apart. I am sure that you have gotten your moneys worth out of it. I know you have used it enough to have enjoyed it. Plus, the knowledge that you have gained, and will gain, from it is worth the price you paid. I have seen your homemade stuff in the gallery and know you can make some quality gear. Another reason for not worying about taking it apart is that you won't need it anymore. If you do make your dream hammock that has all the qualities of the HH but in a more customized and lighter version, will you ever need the HH again?
    Secondly, I think that with effort and patience you can take it apart in such a way that it can be put back together. If you rip the threads with a seam ripper or even just a razor blade, you can take it apart without destroying it. I have looked at mine with the thoughts of taking it apart for the same reasons you have. The only hard part I see is the way the hole has been "melted" through for the supports. But again, I think that parience and a razor blade can take care of that.
    Thirdly, I want you to do it so I don't have to. I don't have the sewing skills (yet). And I haven't even spent a whole night in mine yet, and I want to use it at least once. I did only pay $35 for it, but I want to try it so I can have a baseline to compare my homemade hammocks with.
    So, come on! Go for it! And make sure you share your findings.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I took the time to read through the patent but it really didn't help much. There was a chart with some dimensions listed that I thought I would be able to make a pattern from but after a quick measurement of my HH I realized that the rough dimensions I got from the hammock did not match any of the measurements in the patent.

I really can't destroy my HH. It's my primary setup at the moment. My zHammock setup is about 99% done and will be ready to test once I fix the hammock sock that I screwed up and make a second suspension system.

I am leaning more and more toward buying a second, used, HH and reverse engineering it.

Images

Awwww, mann!

Great! Now I have to take mine apart. With all my advice to you, now I talked myself into hacking mine up. It might take a few days to work up the nerve though. I will let you know how it goes.

Images
    You could probibly lay it on a piece of ripstop and trace out the outline. Leave a little extra fudge room on the ends. Cut it out and see what you can come up with.

There is a lot of info out there on whipping. Just try different ways on the ends.

That should get you pretty close.

Great now I want to try it.

Images
    Well, so much for a couple of days. I took apart one end. The head end. The process of melting the fabric that they use definitely works. It took a lot of work to get it all apart. It will be a while before I come to any firm conclusions. And I don't think I will do any seam ripping on the bug netting. So far, it seems that part of the success of the hammock's design is in his folding pattern for gathering the ends. It is fairly complicated and I took a sharpie and numbered all the folds so I could get it back together again. Also, once unfolded you can see how the holes that go through show the pattern of how the edges and center are at different lengths. Like when you pull the edge corners out a little before whipping a speers type hammock. I will post pics later, and more info.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock engineer View Post
    You could probibly lay it on a piece of ripstop and trace out the outline. Leave a little extra fudge room on the ends. Cut it out and see what you can come up with.

There is a lot of info out there on whipping. Just try different ways on the ends.

That should get you pretty close.

Great now I want to try it.
    I noticed when inspecting the hammock that instead of gathering the fabric at each end the edges of the hammock are rolled and then whipped. Take a look at your HH to see what I am talking about.

This "rolled edge" technique might work on a Speer-type hammock with favorable results. You may even be able to roll one edge more than the other to get an asymmetrical shape. I am going to experiment with this when I get a chance.

I also noticed something else about the HH that is interesting. The hammock is sewn together for a short distance at the head and foot end. You can see what I am talking about in slowhike's picture of a HH with the net removed:

This would create a cone effect on each end that is bound to influence the shape a of the HH.

The more I look at this HH the more I start to realize it would be hard to replicate the feel of this hammock in a DIY version unless you take it apart the HH to see how it was put together. I wish I could find one for sell that already has the netting removed. Then it would just be a matter of unwhipping it and taking measurements.

Images
    Good catch headchange. I haven't noticed that. I am going to make the hammock I am going to take from my thru soon. I think my asym folding and cut before was close. I think this could get it a lot closer.

I will have to look at mine tomorrow and work on something for the RRG trip next weekend.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast