Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Advice and opinions requested

Hi all,

I'm pretty new to hammocking, and currently have only an Equip Travel Hammock from Walmart with some suspension modifications.

I'm looking to upgrade a bit, and am currently stuck in a decision-making rut and am looking for outside opinions.

First let me tell you what I'm looking for:

400LB Rating (I weigh about 300, want some wiggle room)
    Integrated bug-net

I probably will not be using it as often as many of you guys do, owing to my work schedule and other responsibilities. Expect it to be used for overnight use between 5-10 nights per year. So it needn't be designed for constant deployment.

I will be upgrading the suspension to 1/8" amsteel whoopie slings, so the stock suspension shouldn't come into play.

Also, cost is a factor. My "hobby" budget is severely limited, and while I will pay more for quality when it is warranted, there are limits to how far that can go.

All that said, I'm currently trying to decide between two hammocks:

The Warbonnet Blackbird 1.9 Double-Layer and the Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro.

Both have the 400lb rating, and the integrated bug-net. I am aware that these two hammocks are not an apple-to-apple comparison, as the WBBB has the added footbox, gear shelf, etc.. At the same time, the Skeeter Beeter Pro can be had for nearly 1/3 of the price of the WBBB.

Does the addition of these features, and presumably better material/build quality on the WBBB justify paying three times the cost of the SBP under my limited usage scenario as outlined above?

I welcome anyone's opinion, especially if you own or have used either of these two hammocks.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    1) Welcome to the forums.

2) I'm really at a loss between these two as well. I'm in the market for my first hammock, so I'll be following this thread closely.

Hammock
    eno dbl wbbb 1.7 dbl,dangerbird72
    Tarp
    ugq wd 12
    Insulation
    kaq/ugq tq uq
    Suspension
    adj webbing
    The wbbb is a very well made hammock that is worth the money, I have no hands on experience with the skeeter beeter pro, but it does have its fans. My favorite hammock is the dangerbird from dream hammock.

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I have tried both hammocks and quite frankly like them both.

The SBP is a great value IMHO, although the set up with the bug net requires and extra step or two unless you install an ridgeline. I've found it to be a very comfortable hammock and have actually owned several over the years. (I have given them away to relatives and traded for other gear.) I weigh between 220 and 235 depending on the weekend and felt okay in this hammock, but even though it is rated higher, I question the comfort level at the upper limits of its rating.

The WBBB is an exceptional hammock and the shelf, footbox, and double layer are well worth weighing in your decision making process. With a double layer, you can easily insert a pad for low cost insulation. I've been very pleased with the quality of workmanship and am very confident that the weight rating is accurate to conservative. I would have no worries with it's strength. Also, know that if you find that it does not fit your needs, the resale on here is very strong. I know because I have purchased several and it is the go to hammock for both my wife and son.

In short, you're not going to go wrong with either, but I see people going from the SBP to the WBBB. I've never seen the trend the opposite way.

Best advice is to find a group hang near you, go to it and see first hand a number of set ups. Most folks I've camped with don't mind people taking a test ride. That way you know what you are getting in advance.
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    Freebird, HHExUL w/zip mod
    Tarp
    HM Suite, UGQ, HG
    Insulation
    WB Yeti, 5n1 Jerry
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    Images
    In my long winded previous response, I don't know that I directly answered your last question:

Quote Originally Posted by Geektechnica View Post
    Does the addition of these features, and presumably better material/build quality on the WBBB justify paying three times the cost of the SBP under my limited usage scenario as outlined above?
    It's a matter of personal preference, but my answer is "Yes".
    Texas Fall Group Hang 2019

Looking back to last year to reminisce and forward to post Covid-19 hangs in 2021

Texas Hammock Hangers Facebook Group

Hammock
    Hennessy Explorer UL
    Tarp
    DIY Winter Dream
    Insulation
    DIY UQ/JCP TQ
    Suspension
    WS/MSH
    Images
    I am a fairly hefty guy (210) and have the Hennessy Explorer UL...and I love it. I have made a few others, but the Hennessy is really a great hammock. That being said, I have zero experience with the WBBB or the skeeter beeter. I would love to hear what you decide and how your descision works out for you!

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL/Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Toxaway/Tadpole
    Insulation
    AHE Jarbridge
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I think comfort is the deciding factor for the price difference justification. Because that's subjective, I'll leave that for you to decide (although I will say the footbox eliminated ALL of my comfort reservations with my ENO).

However, I think where the WBBB will always beat the SBP is in value retention. You can get one, use it for a season, and sell it for close to what you paid for it.

Thanks for the swift and informative replies.

I'll confess that resale isn't something I considered previously, and is a compelling argument for the WBBB. I have also had opportunity to lay in one, and found it to be very comfortable. I have not had the same opportunity with a SBP.

I've also seen some reviews of the SBP citing poor build quality, loose stitches, fraying ends, etc..

I guess to be truthful I was hoping for someone to post a compelling reason to get the WBBB over the SBP, and help me justify the additional cost to myself. As mentioned before, while cost is a factor, if it is justifiable, I'll find a way to make it work. (Also helps me with the ensuing argument with the wife, aka "the boss")

I'll keep doing some research, and hopefully find someplace local where I can see and try out a SBP, but I'm going to keep my eye out for a good deal on the WBBB!

Thanks!

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    ZPacks Cuben
    Insulation
    WL SSUQ/HG TQ
    Suspension
    Dyna Whoopies
    You get what you pay for IMO. I just got a GT UL and am not at all impressed with the comfort.

Look at it this way, you could go the cheap route and possibly be happy with it. Or you're gonna end up realizing it doesn't work for you. Then you're gonna hafta convince the boss to let you buy ANOTHER hammock.

Or you could get the WBBB that you already know is comfortable and are more than likely gonna love and keep. If you don't love it then like everyone else said, resale value is high. Which means you'll recoup enough cash to buy the SBP and have some leftover.

Also consider http://buttinasling.com/1seyoha.html. They allow you to build your hammock kit exactly how you want it. They have a single layer rated to 300# but you can add a double layer increasing the weight rating. I'd ask them if that would make it rated to 400# though. Depending on what options you choose you'll come out about the same as the WBBB. Or you can come out a lot less if you wanna DIY your bugnet. And these hammocks are very comfortable.

See if REI has the SBP, they have the best return policy. Try it out at home, if you don't like it return it and then get something better.
    "As a well spent day brings happy sleep, a well spent life brings happy death." -Da Vinci

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    I was roughly your size when I bought my first hammock, a Skeeter Beater Pro (SBPro). The material stretched so much that the hammock tacoed, that made it so I couldn't see out or get any breeze, it also made it hard to get out of. You are right about the net being a pain in the but to deploye and its pretty delicate too. I bought a Warbonnet Blackbird (WBBB) and have absolutely loved it. I wish I'd bought the WBBB first it would have saved me the money to receive the SBPro and to ship the it back. There is a devoted following for SBPros here but for big people I think a WBBB is a much Better choice!

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast