Clark DLX, ENO SN, BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    OxPalace,Big Squid
    Insulation
    Oxgear, KAQ, WL
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    My ridgeline runs under the tarp and I have not had any issues with water running under the tarp even in a heavy downpour. I attach my Guardian bug net to the ridgeline also and have not had any problems with the height of the tarp.
    Everyone ought to believe in something....I believe I'll go set up the hammock!

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    I use my ENO a ton for sitting in (sideways) and would think the ridgeline would get in the way of this type of use. That's pretty much the main reason I have not put one on at this point. The ridge line would be hitting me in the head if I were using it in the seated position I think?
    Just use a ridgeline biner on one end. Disconnect the ridgeline when sitting. Of course, Dutch makes a cool titanium ridgeline biner to bling out that ridgeline.

Hammock
    HH Exped w DIY ZipMod & WBBB
    Tarp
    DIY 12' BlackCat
    Insulation
    DIY Down TQ/UQ
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopie Sling
    Images
    I run my ridgeline above my tarp with two prussic loops tied inline to attach my sil tarp to. I just wanted to minimise any abrasin between the ridgeline and the seam sealer on my tarp. Since I have a very long ridgeline rope, in good weather, I'll often double back under my tarp and use the second lint to hang extra gear, stuff sacks, etc...
    Survival is about getting out alive, Bushcraft is about going in to live - Chard (aka Forest-Hobo)

Upcoming EGL Hangs:
    tbd. For EGL notifications, subscribe to the EGL Hang Notification Thread
    EGL Trip Reports:
    The Collection Follow me on Instagram

Hammock
    Clark NX-150
    Tarp
    Clark Vertex
    Insulation
    Clark Z liner & TQ
    Suspension
    All-in-one Whoopie
    Images

Smile Ridgeline over tarp?

Hmm...being a NOOB I was trying to figure out why you would put the tarp under the ridge line but then I read the "rain coming down the ridgeline" comment and it made good sense. Haven't hammocked in the rain yet. Good thing you guys are getting me "edu-macated" ahead of time. Thanks!

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images

Some tarps dip more than you expect

I found that out when I switched from a continuous tarp ridge line I used beneath one tarp design. No, there was not a cat curve designed into the ridge-line cut; but that would be another cause for intended dip.

Turns out this multi-panel tarp was designed to drop 3/4 the way, around the tail end of the hammock, for additional weather protection. I had been straightening out the ridge line, adding to space,yes, but unaware of how much the ridge line had been designed and sewn to be form a shallow V when self-supporting.

Hex-design tarps also have more dip than rectangulars, greater dip yet when pulled down taut against wind. A ridge-line underneath may permit tighter pitch while retaining some headroom.

Sometimes, any hammock might need to be hung from trees so far apart that you might then wish to run a tarp ridge line beneath the tarp purposely to provide desired clearance. You might not be tall enough to fly the tarp high enough otherwise.
    Last edited by DemostiX; 09-17-2012 at 00:19.

I have had water run down the crl when I had the tarp over the ridgeline. It wasn't bad it was a few drops it on my hammock and top quilt. switched the tarp to under the crl during the rain without getting anything else wet and I didn't have anymore rain on the hammock and it rained the rest of the night.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Questions? Crl= continues ridge line, right? Srl= structural ridge line. Trl= tarp ridge line.
    I understand Srl and Trl, but please explaine how crl is differert from the others.
    I have my set up in the by=back yard. I like the hang in the rain. I notice the tarp is more stable in wind when over the Trl. I haven't noticed any water coming in, I think it catches and drips off at the figure 9 that hold the tarp to the Trl.

Hammock
    wbrr/d i y speer
    Tarp
    hg 4sccc 12 foot
    Insulation
    lynx/w/logics
    Suspension
    straps /pole mod
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveE View Post
    I use my ENO a ton for sitting in (sideways) and would think the ridgeline would get in the way of this type of use. That's pretty much the main reason I have not put one on at this point. The ridge line would be hitting me in the head if I were using it in the seated position I think?
    try running a double ridge line with a taut line hitch tying one end to the ridge line so it slides on the other.you can loosen it by sliding your knot one way or tighten it by sliding it back

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I used to run mine over the tarp with prussiks, mainly because I wanted to avoid abrasion. I used to have a line long enough that it would serve as a ridge line above, then come around and provide a "gear line" underneath. To this I would suspend my bugnet when I used a DD hammock - it doesn't have a srl itself, and comes with shock cords for the bugnet that you tie up to the line.

Worked ok, but I found myself not using the line underneath very often (even less so now that I have a WBBB with its own line), and the line above serving basically no purpose, plus making me lose a few centimeters of "loft" under the tarp - not insignificant a consideration when you're 186 cms.. So I cut it and now have two lines in either end of the tarp instead, still with prussiks for adjustment, and if need be for a "gear line" I can just string one up.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    It rained last night so I checked the Trl for water. None under the tarp. I also set mine up ata slight angle. The angle carries water away from the tarp on the more exposed side. The high end is more sheltered by the tree.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast