DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    I've been getting requests for an explanation of sewing the baffles to the second piece of material - I'm not to good at explaining things, but here goes.

I have found that MAD777 and FireInMyBones have a good description of the process-- see here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=59253

Te-Wa also has a good explanation here: http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ead.php?t=4362

Here's a video of qt7599a's work : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o6qc...=results_video

Here is a picture of my sewing the baffles to the second piece of material.

You can see the rolled up material and the baffle thats pinned in place. The easiest way for me to explain this is the second piece of material is on the bottom - the 2 pieces are rolled up and the baffles are sewn to the bottom piece one at a time.

I had lines marked on the baffles and top and bottom pieces so everything lined up. I simply pinned the entire length of the baffle to the bottom piece and sewed. Then I moved to the next baffle - unrolling the top piece as I went.

It's much easier to simply sew the first baffle to see how its done.

Hammock
    Kammock Roo, HH Explorer Deluxe Zip
    Tarp
    HeX
    Insulation
    EE 20* TQ & DIY UQ
    Suspension
    Dynex Cinch Buckle
    So the no see um makes up the side walls of the baffles, and the top and bottom if the quilt make up the top and bottom of the baffle. I think I got it. Thanks.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by nom@d View Post
    So the no see um makes up the side walls of the baffles, and the top and bottom if the quilt make up the top and bottom of the baffle. I think I got it. Thanks.

Exactly! Picture it like a honeycomb. Once I saw what everyone else did, it took about 45 minutes to sew all the baffles to the second piece. I believe I can make a down UQ in about 8 hours start to finish. Marking everything was crucial for me - once that was done, it went quickly. Marking the noseeum makes it easier to sew to the second piece and keep straight lines.

Your welcome!

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Winter bag/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/dutchware
    Images
    So the no-see-um is dense enough to keep the down from passing from one baffle to the next? Did you choose that fabric for the sides of the baffles because it was lighter weight than nylon?

Hammock
    HHEA, HHEUL, HHSD, GTUL
    Tarp
    DIY KindaLite 1.1
    Insulation
    TQ, DIY Fusion UQ
    Suspension
    W-Slings, Trunks
    Quote Originally Posted by Lost_Biker View Post

The thing I came across once I started was that it's not an exact science, but close enough. I also didn't initially trust the calculator and measured things over and over when I should have just started sewing the silly thing. I wasted probably 4 hours out of the 16 it took to sew on worrying about the calculations. Don't worry - Be sewing!
    Nothing wrong with that! It's better to trust yourself than some yahoo on the Internet. Your quilt looks great!

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CatSplat View Post
    Nothing wrong with that! It's better to trust yourself than some yahoo on the Internet. Your quilt looks great!
    Thank-you CatSplat! I went into it all worried about measurements and such - It's not rocket science. I've learned to trust the numbers more, especially here on the forums (calculators). I made another for my neighbor in 8 hours and change - an hour of that came from answering questions. Had to kick him out but everything went smooth.

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hammock_monk View Post
    So the no-see-um is dense enough to keep the down from passing from one baffle to the next? Did you choose that fabric for the sides of the baffles because it was lighter weight than nylon?
    Yes - the noseeum keeps the down from going from one chamber to the next. I believe the noseeum allows you to get the air out when you smush it out into a bag. If you used ripstop - uncoated - (and I'm sure you can) it would take just a little longer to smush it down to size. There's hardly any difference in weigh - 1.1 for ripstop and 0.9 for the noseeum, that you wouldn't be able to tell the difference.

Hammock
    BMBH UL
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    JRB
    Suspension
    Stock
    Looks like it's turning out great!

Hammock
    DIY Digi Camo DL
    Tarp
    Maxi Tarp
    Insulation
    Underquilts Lewis
    Suspension
    Rings and Straps
    Images
    Final report of the monster 500 fill weight UQ. Slept in it down to 32* so far and was warm - not hot warm - just comfortable warm. I did notice that it was also comfortable at 45-50*. I still have 3.5 inches of loft though out the entire length of the UQ. I can smush it down to the size of a basketball and it weighs 37 oz. Yes it's a tad heavy. It weighs just what the calculator said it would.
    Last edited by Lost_Biker; 10-09-2012 at 20:30. Reason: Hulk sad. Hulk have bad grammer.

Hammock
    DIY WBBBB
    Tarp
    DIY Hex Tarp
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 Insultex
    Suspension
    Webbing/Whoopies
    Images
    So any more updates on how the underquilt has performed since the temps have been dropping? I am planning on starting on my own down quilts soon and have yet to decide what dimensions and loft I am going to use. Also is there anything you would do differently if you were to re-do the project?

Thanks!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast