Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Question Pads and bags- help!

I'm a total newbie to hanging. I for years have had a large net hammock I'd set up camping with the family at Myrtle Beach SP. That led me to a HH Exped Asym, which I don't care for, primarily because I cant keep the bottom shut. (It probably doesn't help that I'm 15 pounds over the 250# limit, and am almost 6'3").
    I'm 57 years old, and as such am slowly becoming a colder sleeper. Maybe not "cold", but certainly cooler than I was 30 years ago. I've had two back surgeries and a severe neck injury; when I sleep on the ground- or a mattress- I just about have to sleep on my left side with my left arm under my pillow and head. This has led me to using a 25" wide T-rest, a rectangular down bag, and various gloves and tops to keep my left hand and arm warm on cold nights. Even the T-rest doesn't stop me from waking up with sore hips, though; that and the great summer naps in the big net hammock at the beach (including, there, sleeping on my back) have brought me to hanging as a way not to go lighter but to sleep better.
    Last night I bought a used Claytor JH from Redbeard (thanks again!). I'm hoping the big-guy dimensions/capacity and side entry will ease my probs with HH.
    Hopefully that will only leave the problem of sleeping cold.
    Thanks for reading this far. Here's the q: will a Big Agnes Park series rectangular bag mated to an (insulated) BA Air Core 25x78x2.5 pad work inside the Claytor? My thoughts are that once I can get in it and get
    it zipped I should be comfortable and able to sleep on my side or back. Further, if I'm forced to go to ground above treeline in the Winds or on the JMT I'll have the full monty BA setup.
    If the BMB was just a little wider I think it would be perfect for me.
    Anyway, do you think the Claytor and BA can marry up?
    TIA- and thanks also for an unbelievable community sitting here waiting for me to discover it. I have a million other ideas and questions to pester you with, but lets KISS for now and start with getting a sleep system into the Claytor.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    If you are interested in trying a different HH in warmer weather I have a Safari that I am looking to trade even up for another HH model. I have to have a bottom entry but the Safari is bigger than I would like. I am not anywhere near the weight limit of 350 nor the height. I'm well under 6'. Not to diss on the Claytor as I have never used one, but the HH is a very nice hammock if you can get by the pad problem. In warmer weather the HH just might be cooler since it is a single bottom body rather than double. I have a double body DIY bridge which I built for cooler weather. If you are interested in a swap.. let me know.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by randyg45 View Post
    I'm a total newbie to hanging. I for years have had a large net hammock I'd set up camping with the family at Myrtle Beach SP. That led me to a HH Exped Asym, which I don't care for, primarily because I cant keep the bottom shut. (It probably doesn't help that I'm 15 pounds over the 250# limit, and am almost 6'3").
    I'm 57 years old, and as such am slowly becoming a colder sleeper. Maybe not "cold", but certainly cooler than I was 30 years ago. I've had two back surgeries and a severe neck injury; when I sleep on the ground- or a mattress- I just about have to sleep on my left side with my left arm under my pillow and head. This has led me to using a 25" wide T-rest, a rectangular down bag, and various gloves and tops to keep my left hand and arm warm on cold nights. Even the T-rest doesn't stop me from waking up with sore hips, though; that and the great summer naps in the big net hammock at the beach (including, there, sleeping on my back) have brought me to hanging as a way not to go lighter but to sleep better.
    Last night I bought a used Claytor JH from Redbeard (thanks again!). I'm hoping the big-guy dimensions/capacity and side entry will ease my probs with HH.
    Thanks for reading this far. Here's the q: will a Big Agnes Park series rectangular bag mated to an (insulated) BA Air Core 25x78x2.5 pad work inside the Claytor? My thoughts are that once I can get in it and get
    it zipped I should be comfortable and able to sleep on my side or back. Further, if I'm forced to go to ground above treeline in the Winds or on the JMT I'll have the full monty BA setup.
    TIA- and thanks also for an unbelievable community sitting here waiting for me to discover it. I have a million other ideas and questions to pester you with, but lets KISS for now and start with getting a sleep system into the Claytor.
    I can't think of any reason that combo would not work A-OK, though I have not tried it my self. The only thing is- weight wise- you are wasting the ability to put a pad in the pad pocket of the Claytor. You could go lighter with a nice top quilt and a pad in the Claytor pad pocket. But you said weight wasn't a big issue anyway.

Images
    yeah, try both, putting the pad in the sleping bag and between the 2 layers of hammock fabric. most who use inflateables only inflate them half way (not exxagerating) also consider a ccf pad, you may find that more comfy (especially if used inside the ba pad sleve.

and then there is always the uq option as well.

good luck and welcome to hf

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    If you use the BA Park and matching pad you won't want to use the pad sleeve in the hammock. Just put the bag and pad together as usual, lay it slightly diagonal in the hammock, open it up, get in, pull the top over you as much as needed, and go to sleep. This works better than a hammock pad sleeve except perhaps in warmer weather when you can use the hammock sleeve and bring a fleece cover.

You can keep your arm in the bag's hood, so no more problems with that getting cold. On really cold nights, add a thin CCF pad. Be sure you get the insulated air mattress from BA, not the uninsulated. Remember, when you roll over in a BA you roll inside the bag, don't try to turn the bag with you. Like in bed, not like in a mummy.

The cool thing about the BA system is it works in any hammock and on the ground. You're set regardless the circumstances. Good choice, IMHO.

Hammock
    DD modular jungle hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Thumbs up

welcome to hammock forums you came to the right placeneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by randyg45 View Post
    the claytor jungle hammock rocks.the best of the best,i love my claytor jungle hammockneo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    the claytor jungle hammock rocks.the best of the best,i love my claytor jungle hammockneo
    OH, NO! Neo is back to spread his Claytor Jungle Hammocking love around! Where have you been? It's been quiet without all the posts on how great Claytor's are.

Seriously, good to see you posting. You should add the above line as your signature line, instead of you "matrix" quote. It would save you some typing.

Hammock
    Tarp
    wilderness logics
    Insulation
    wilderness logics
    Suspension
    whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by FishinFinn View Post
    OH, NO! Neo is back to spread his Claytor Jungle Hammocking love around! Where have you been? It's been quiet without all the posts on how great Claytor's are.

Seriously, good to see you posting. You should add the above line as your signature line, instead of you "matrix" quote. It would save you some typing.
    he already has a claytor jungle hammock,i am just cheering him on.neo
    the matrix has you

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by neo View Post
    he already has a claytor jungle hammock,i am just cheering him on.neo
    I might have to get a Claytor, just to see what all the fuss is about. That way, when you spread your "Claytor Love" around, I know what you are talking about.

Hey, how's that DD working for you?

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast