Mosquito Jungle
    Tarp
    Oware 8x10 w/Beaks
    Insulation
    DIY SPE w/ccf, etc
    Suspension
    JRB webbing
    Hi Hikingjer-
    I put the SB between the pad and the hammock and tuck the corners of the SB under the pad, between the pad and the JRB weather shield that I use instead of the HH undercover. I allow for a little slack in the SB to prevent tearing. The curves of the pad vs. the square corners of the SB allow enough overlap to secure the SB nicely.
    "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hikingjer View Post
    Last night I slept in the backyard in a HH Backpacker A-sym, stock tarp, with a Super Shelter (SS) on a Vario Byer stand. I used a 25 degree rated North Face down bag, a 3/4 length Z-Rest foam pad with a down vest under my feet. I wore a fleece sweater and balaclava, blue jeans and Thor-Lo socks. I was warm enough most of the night (but never toasty) except at 4 am when the temp bottomed out. The low temps woke me up but I wasn't cold, just not warm at all.

It dropped down to about 35 degrees at 4 am and it was very moist with 98% relative humidity measured at the airport. There was no wind. The condensation was brutal. The stock tarp let a few drops down on to the hammock bug net but the down bag stayed dry. The high RH may have collapsed the down bag's loft a little (?).

------------------------

I've always had more of a problem getting the space blanket to stay in place in the SS than the pad. If anybody has any suggestions on keeping the space blanket in place, I'd like to hear it.

--------------------------

The worse part of the HH SS is that extra slit to climb through to get out to go to the bathroom and having to push the OCF pad to the side. I've always slept with my head to the left and feet to my right of the hammock's keel. Never had the problem with the OCF pad Billy Bob is referring to.
    Thanks Hikingjer, for the very interesting report. One advantage I have seen to the HH ( in my experience and IMO) is when dealing with heavy condensation on the inside surface of the tarp. The bottom entry usually allows me to get in and out of the hammock relatively dry, compared to my top loaders. Usually the worst case is I get a few drops ( or a lot of drops) on the bug net, but I don't soak my back or head accidentally rubbing against the tarp at 3AM. It's just easier for me not to contact the tarp when I'm getting in and out the bottom. Unless I have a really high and wide tarp pitch, any way.

So, is this correct, you used the short pad inside the hammock, but no SB? Or did you use both?

You mention brutal condensation. Was that just on the tarp, or did you have condensation inside the SS, undercover and/or on the HH OCF pad? Or even inside the hammock?

Could you tell if you were "not warm" on the bottom, top or both?

I'm not sure why there is a problem keeping the SB in place. It has always been a bit of a noisy pain to get the SB situated in the first place, but once I get the WM SB or Heat Sheet in place, they pretty much stay put. I usually try to drape it over the edges of the OCF pad, as has been mentioned by FB and others. The side guy outs are in the way, but I can still more or less accomplish this.

I have never had good results ( unless it is pretty warm) using the SS without the SB. The one time I had major condensation issues inside the UC and on the pad was in your neck of the woods, in the Olympics. Boy was it humid, and foggy. My pad was very wet near the foot, and it was wet down in the UC. I was still completely warm ( high 40s, synthetic bag/quilt), but wet. I didn't even notice there was a problem until I got up for the day. All dried quickly, however. Coincidentally, that was the one time I chose not to add the SB. I did the next night and had no more condensation problems. It just seems to me that the waterproof sil-nylon cover, slightly removed from the body heat and exposed to the cold air, causes much more condensation than does a SB snugged up against the body, and on the warm side of the insulation. Much like with the tarp gets so much condensation. Just a theory, don't really know.

Also, I never have any trouble worth mentioning exiting the SS compared to the HH without the SS, though others have mentioned this. Maybe just because I got so used to it? It's just a matter of first putting my foot out of the HH slit as normal, and then taking maybe an additional split second to "hook" the UC slit and push it all to the side. I can be in and out of that sucker about as quick as I can my top loaders. Again, maybe it is just a matter of long term use.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk UL
    Tarp
    Equinox 8x10 silny
    Insulation
    Speer PeaPod III
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58
    One advantage I have seen to the HH ( in my experience and IMO) is when dealing with heavy condensation on the inside surface of the tarp. The bottom entry usually allows me to get in and out of the hammock relatively dry, compared to my top loaders. Usually the worst case is I get a few drops ( or a lot of drops) on the bug net, but I don't soak my back or head accidentally rubbing against the tarp at 3AM. It's just easier for me not to contact the tarp when I'm getting in and out the bottom...So, is this correct, you used the short pad inside the hammock, but no SB? Or did you use both?...You mention brutal condensation. Was that just on the tarp, or did you have condensation inside the SS, undercover and/or on the HH OCF pad? Or even inside the hammock?

Could you tell if you were "not warm" on the bottom, top or both?
    Good point. Never thought about it that way. Besides that advantage, the bottom enter/exit is tolerable at best. But, it does seem the big net acts as a little bit of a wind block and insulation and may add a little, little bit of warmth.

I used a 3/4 length Z-Rest in addition to a space blanket in the UC/OCF pad/SS.

The brutal condensation was just from the stock tarp. Surprisingly, there was little, if any, noticeable condensation on the bottom i.e. on the SS. This is different than a past experience using the SS in cold, dry conditions just above freezing.

Another surprising thing that night was that the sensation of being "not warm", was on the top but not on the bottom. In other words, the HH SS did its work but the down sleeping bag did perform 100%. Not sure but the 98% RH may have collapsed the goose down and reduced its loft. If anyone else has used a down bag in a high humidity at 30-40 F temps has experienced loft reduction, I'd like to hear about it.

Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58
    It just seems to me that the waterproof sil-nylon cover, slightly removed from the body heat and exposed to the cold air, causes much more condensation than does a SB snugged up against the body, and on the warm side of the insulation. Much like with the tarp gets so much condensation. Just a theory, don't really know.
    I concur. That's been my experience too. That hypothesis makes sense. That's the great thing about having a hammock stand to use in the backyard. One can easily do semi-scientific experiments with various hammock combinations and bail out if it's not going well.

This was the second time I camped out in the backyard. It was noisy. There are way too many people peeling out and drag racing at 3 am in my neighborhood. There are a lot of kids and young people with those big fart-can mufflers on lowrider Hondas or whatever that make their cars even louder and accentuate gear changes. They like to zip around, gun the engine, peel out, windows vibrating from bass. 3 am is a little late for that.

------------------------------------

FishBone & psyculman:

Thanks for the comments and advice. I'll have to do that next time. There's no way I'm the only HH SS user with a falling SB problem, gravity being what it is. Others will like to read that too.
    Last edited by hikingjer; 11-01-2008 at 00:37.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12