Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Net or no Net?

I dint think they are hammocks with defective netting, the person on the phone when i talked to the company today said that they are a new prototype that the company made 30 or so of to put on display. They used them so that people didn't have to fight with the net to look at a display hammock. Although, they then saw that people may like a no-net hammock so they decided to sell them and see what people think.

She may have been wrong thow.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    We have been receiving a lot of requests for hammocks without nets- great for lounging in the back yard, in-house use(for people who sleep better in their backpacking Hennessy than in their expensive bed at home and want to hang one in their rec room or basement), and even cave exploration. We decided to include some in our odds'n'ends sale and see what happens! These hammocks are demos which have the nets removed so we can offer them at really attractive prices.
    From the Hennessy Odds and Ends listing email...
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    I would go with the HH Ultralight Backpacker A-sym original version and have 2Q/ZQ do the #2 bug net zipper mod. That way you have the bug net if you want or roll it all the way back to use without or when adding a peapod in colder weather. The zipper isn't going to add that much weight to your pack and no worries being with out a bug net. Just a thought.

The hammock is already ordered 2trees, I plan on doing (as i said earlier) a mod kinda like what 2Q is doing... but with a full zipper all the way around.

Hammock
    Grand Trunk Nano 7
    Tarp
    Exped Poncho/Tarp
    Insulation
    WallcreepBivanorak
    Suspension
    Eno SlapStrap Pro
    Hello Dizodax,
    Sorry didn't read clearly enough. Sounds like you are on the right track and have some great ideas. I really like your concept of a tarpless hammock. Sounds interesting. Will you have then, both a zippered bug net and a zippered outer waterproof nylon cover w/ flaps that cover the zipper? I'd love to see some pics and a review of your design. Not having a tarp will certainly take you to a very lightweight/stealth level of hammock camping. Do you think that "drip strips" will be a must?

Sorry about taking a while to respond, i was on a climbing trip.

2Trees, Yes i do think that it will be necessary to have "Drip Strips" or, if i can find them relatively cheap some taped waterproof zippers like those found on gortex coats.

When i get the hammock i will put a review up of the no-net version and i will also put a little bit in there about my intentions of making a no-tarp and attachable fly version.

Without a tarp it should weigh less, although not too much less because zippers Aren't too light and it wont be using that much less fabric then the tarp. The fact that is will be gortex fabric should mean that i will still get lots of breathability and some light should still come through to wake the occupant up in the morning.

I also have some ideas about a way to hang it lighter and much easier (I am not a fan of the Hennessy knot they use.) which involve some 25 Gram climbing biners i picked up from MEC this weekend.

When the hammock arrives (It is going to be mailed out Monday morning, so it should be here by Friday or within the next 2 weeks) I will put a review up about it and start to work on a design for the gortex top/removable bug net.

Great to see someone is interested!

Quote Originally Posted by Dizodax View Post
    Sorry about taking a while to respond, i was on a climbing trip.

2Trees, Yes i do think that it will be necessary to have "Drip Strips" or, if i can find them relatively cheap some taped waterproof zippers like those found on gortex coats.

When i get the hammock i will put a review up of the no-net version and i will also put a little bit in there about my intentions of making a no-tarp and attachable fly version.

Without a tarp it should weigh less, although not too much less because zippers Aren't too light and it wont be using that much less fabric then the tarp. The fact that is will be gortex fabric should mean that i will still get lots of breathability and some light should still come through to wake the occupant up in the morning.

I also have some ideas about a way to hang it lighter and much easier (I am not a fan of the Hennessy knot they use.) which involve some 25 Gram climbing biners i picked up from MEC this weekend.

When the hammock arrives (It is going to be mailed out Monday morning, so it should be here by Friday or within the next 2 weeks) I will put a review up about it and start to work on a design for the gortex top/removable bug net.

Great to see someone is interested!
    Mountain Laurel Design and OES (home of the Macat hammock tarp) both sell large spinnaker tarps that weigh under 10oz, why turn a hammock into an elevated bivy bag with all the attendant claustraphobia, to save maybe five ounces.

Size. And ease of setup.

With a tarp you need to stake out the edges, attach both sides to trees, and you need more space. If you have the design I'm talking about, its basically a modified "Pea-Pod" but waterproof.

I will also be using my hammock in a military environment were the sharp edges of a tarp are not exactly an inviting attribute. For most applications, i agree a tarp is the way to go, it funnels the wind up and away from the hammock and stops it from hitting the hammock like a body-bag hanging from a tree, I'm not using my hammock in a situation like that, and i think that the cover is a good idea.

Ill try it, if it doesn't work out as planned, then i will go back to the trusty tarp we all trust. But without trial and effort, the industry will go nowhere. We need to keep trying to advance, no matter if we fail.

Quote Originally Posted by Dizodax View Post
    Size. And ease of setup.

With a tarp you need to stake out the edges, attach both sides to trees, and you need more space. If you have the design I'm talking about, its basically a modified "Pea-Pod" but waterproof.

I will also be using my hammock in a military environment were the sharp edges of a tarp are not exactly an inviting attribute. For most applications, i agree a tarp is the way to go, it funnels the wind up and away from the hammock and stops it from hitting the hammock like a body-bag hanging from a tree, I'm not using my hammock in a situation like that, and i think that the cover is a good idea.

Ill try it, if it doesn't work out as planned, then i will go back to the trusty tarp we all trust. But without trial and effort, the industry will go nowhere. We need to keep trying to advance, no matter if we fail.
    I was on an SF ODA in the 80's, we used to play in an exercise in Germany every spring called Flintlock. We'd set a hide sight up with a view of a highway, the site had to be close enough to identify a fairly small code letter on the side of any army truck, this simulated Soviet armor. I spent 10 days one March hunkered down under an issue GI camo poncho. I had local germans walk within 50ft of the hide site, my partner and I were never spotted. A good camo pattern and a little natural foliage as garnish goes a long way. It rained just about every day on us.

Oh, Ive spent a few days like that.

I intend this as a "Creacher Comfort" for exercises I am staffing at, not participating in necessarily. I also want it to be light, and suitable to use on civy outings, as i go camping allot.

We all know we can stand a few weeks just collapsing onto the ground without taking our kit off, mud, rain, snow we all know we can do it... but we don't want to.

You feel allot better in the morning if you didn't sleep in a heap on the ground, so I'm going for in between bare nothing, and nice and practical. No tarp, but not just laying in a open hammock.

Thanks for the input Take-a-Knee, and my hats off to you for your service in the 80's, i would love for you to continue to give me input, and to voice your opinion on the final product, I'll looking forward to it.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12