Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Net or no Net?

Lightbulb Net or no Net?

I have been Backpacking for many years, but am just starting to switch over to ultra-light backpacking. I am currently looking at the Ultralight Backpacker Asym from Hennessey, and i see that Tom has started to make some hammocks without nets and i was wondering what peoples general input are for these hammocks without nets.

Are the bugs too bad (I live in Squamish, BC, Canada) or are they bearable for most of the year?

They are MUCH cheaper and that was the real draw as didn't want to spend too much on this.

Any input would be apreciated,
    Thanks,
    Last edited by Dizodax; 10-24-2008 at 13:00.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    If I read your post correctly, what you are looking at is a hammock without a tarp, which is the same thing as a fly. The bug net is built in. The bottom entry doesn't make much sense without a bug net. Many people will buy a Hennessey Hammock without the fly or tarp so they can use their own tarp.

Hammock
    Hennessey summer, lightest winter
    Tarp
    JRB 10x11 in skins
    Insulation
    JRB MW3 & SierraSv
    Images
    I have a Hennessey Explorer during bug season, because its netting is bombproof and there are no zippers or Velcro tabs to mess with or break, and usually use a HAAB (a double-sized Treehugger, same as an ENO or Treklight) without a net when the bugs are gone (mid-Fall through early Spring) because it's the lightest option (one pound six ounces including suspension). I tried a Claytor no-net for winter, but it was heavier and not as comfortable, though if I didn't have a Big Agnes sleeping bag I'd like that pad sleeve, I reckon. The same tarp (currently a JRB 11x10) works for any hammock.

I guess what I'm trying to say it, one size may not fit all here; tailor the tools to the terrain, if you get my meaning.
    Last edited by Hector; 10-23-2008 at 11:06.

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    If you are hiking in the summer months a bug net is a must IMHO. I'm not familiar with the bug situation in your area, so results may vary. You could always have 2Questions zipper mod performed if you want open sky above you and bugs aren't an issue.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    A better link to the mod thread.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Last edited by 2Questions; 10-23-2008 at 16:26. Reason: pic added

Quote Originally Posted by bear bag hanger View Post
    If I read your post correctly, what you are looking at is a hammock without a tarp, which is the same thing as a fly. The bug net is built in. The bottom entry doesn't make much sense without a bug net. Many people will buy a Hennessey Hammock without the fly or tarp so they can use their own tarp.
    Actually, I mean that the new hammocks that Tom at Hennessey hammocks has started to make WITHOUT a bug net (They are just demo's not in production yet, but you can purchase a demo one currently for 49 dollars) They still come with a tarp and all the other normal options, but 100 dollars cheaper and no net.

Thanks for the input from everyone else, so its seems pretty unanimous that the bug net is not really needed during the winter/sprint months, but when summer comes around the bug net is a necessity.

I sleep during the summer months sometimes with large groups just under a tarp in sleeping bags, and the bugs aren't too horrible. And i would think having the tarp over the hammock will reduce the chance of bugs getting in to you, but then keep them in once they're in.

I think i may go with a no-net version and maybe switch over to a netted version if i find the bugs too pestering.

Thanks for the input, I would love to continue getting great advice from you all,

Oliver,

Hammock
    Dream Hammock ThunderBird
    Tarp
    Zpack Cuben 7X9
    Insulation
    JRBSierraSniveller
    Suspension
    ring buckle system
    Images
    Sorry, my bad.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird & Traveler
    Tarp
    MC SpinntexDeLux
    Insulation
    MW3,Yeti,HGsb,UL90
    Suspension
    WS
    Images
    I was under the assumption that the asymmetry of a Hennessey is due in part to the cut of the netting. No net less or no asymmetry? If so, this new HH may not lay the way of the net models. Outside of no netting and assuming no bottom entry since no need what else is different from the standard HH? May save a chunk of change but can you really compare this new model to the existing models?
    Noel V.

The No-Net models (well, more prototypes) are exactly the same build as the Explorer/Backpacker ofcourse without the bottom entry. I would not think the netting would realy play any role in the structure/way the hammock lays as the netting is not strong or rigid enoph to do so.

What i plan to do with my hammock is sew a #8 YKK zipper around the entire hammock and to a piece of netting, so i can attach them together during summer months (it should not be costing me much more then 20 dollars, plus my time)

I am also looking at Gortex Brand coated nylon to make the same zip-on section so i can totaly get rid of the Tarp/Fly aswell. I have also devised a sort of cover for the zipper that expensive jackets now have so that the rain will not soak in through them.

To answer your question in a mouthfull, I do not think that the hammock without a net will make much difference to the actual way it lays. I will let everyone know when it arrives (ill do a review of the no-net model) and talk a little bit about comparison to the net moddle.

Quote Originally Posted by koaloha05 View Post
    I was under the assumption that the asymmetry of a Hennessey is due in part to the cut of the netting. No net less or no asymmetry? If so, this new HH may not lay the way of the net models. Outside of no netting and assuming no bottom entry since no need what else is different from the standard HH? May save a chunk of change but can you really compare this new model to the existing models?
    The net has nothing to do with the hammock's diagonal lay (assymmetry). I think most of those no net hammocks had damaged or defective netting, so they just removed it and marked it down.

Many here at HF (not me) have figured out that a hammock sock made from DWR is the way to go in the cold. This won't work with the stock Hennessy 'cause you can't reach the net. A no-net hammock is four or so ounces lighter, offsetting the weight of the sock.

Of course, you can use a JRB Weathershield and a Hennessy Overcover with the stock Hennessy hammock.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast