Thread: Santa Fe Hang

Santa Fe Hang

So I am going unexpectedly going to Santa Fe NM next weekend, Sept. 27 - Oct. 5.

Never been that far West... So I figure its a good time to go camping... And I see a huge National Forest is nearby...

Can anyone give me a great place to go camping in the NF?? Anywhere else???

Is there any special precautions I need to take... Given that I am southern bred...

Anyone wanna join me???
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

ahhhhhh my home, albeit i spend most of my time in AR and Dallas. If your going to Santa Fe and want to camp close in, go up to Hyde park, (on ski basin road) bout 20 min out of SF, but a world away. If you want further away, there's Pecos and the road up the canyon to cowles, the campground borders the pecos wilderness, if you want to back pack or do day hikes into that area, side note: may be early elk season, so be alert. other places Bandelier nat'l monument, great place, cliff dwellings, etc, then up to Taos and on to Red River, (bout 11/2 hrs from SF) some great camping places along river up through canyon from Questa to Red River, bout 20 miles north of Taos. In addition great places off fire roads now that most of fiire bands lifted. hope this helps, pm me if want / need more info. btw great time to go, and be advised your at altitude, SF is 7000 ft and you'll go up from there.. take ur uq and tq ull need them, have great time and eat well.

Thanks for the insight....

I was thinking about Bandelier National Monument.... But now thinking about Pecos...

My concerns are...

1) are there plenty of trees to hang from

2) are there plenty of streams to get water from

3) do I need to hang my food away from bears
    My memory's not as sharp as it used to be. Also, my memory's not as sharp as it used to be.

Santa Fe hang

Answer to tour 3 questions, YES, just remember altitude and adjust

• + New Posts