Hammock
    Claytor Jungle Hammock

Sand and Hammocks (desert/beach)

I was wathcing a dvd the other night, "the long way down", where Ewan mcGregor and Chales Boorman ride BMW bikes from Scotland to Africa, anyway they stay in tens and a couple of times it really blows sand in the deserts/plains/beaches of Africa.

So my thought was, assuming you are camping in a sandy area, does it ever blow into the hammock? Obviously something like the Clark NA has zip up panels that might keep sand out but what about other hammocks?

Anyone camped in sandy area and what were their experiances?

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    My wife and I go to Edisto Beach almost every year and although I don't sleep in my hammock at night (I stay in a tent with my wife), I do take daily naps in the hammock. As with any beach/sandy environment, sand gets everywhere including the inside of the hammock. It does tend to make it's way to the lowest point of the hammock. It's pretty easy to just flip the hammock over and dump the sand.
    “Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels, it finds the darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." -Terry Pratchett

Premium Quality, Fresh Roasted Coffee
    www.meancatcoffee.com

Hammock
    Homemade 1.9oz
    Tarp
    Homemade cuben
    Insulation
    Homemade synthetic
    Suspension
    Strap-biner-buckle
    Images
    I camp on a river island with a lot of sand. One of the (many) nice surprises about switching from a HH to a homemade open open top wasn't that it kept sand out, but that it was super easy to remove it. In my HH, I'd never quite get that last bit of sand, but with the open top, I just flip it over and give it a quick shake.

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB
    Tarp
    Custom OES BatCave
    Insulation
    JRB quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Seems to me like you should get a little less sand in the hammock then a tent. You could always sit in your hammock and brush the sand off your feet before laying down. Seems like most the sand I get in my tent comes from my feet, whether it be from my shoes, feet, or kicking the sand in the tent door as Im trying to get in. As far as blowing sand goes seems like you would get less in a hammock. I'm thinking a mild to moderate wind might only pick the sand up a few inches off the ground. While this might be enough to blow in tent windows and doors seems like a hammock a foot or two off the ground wouldnt get any in it. As far as strong winds that create a haboob. Good luck in anything! I'm camping at the first part of next month at the sand dunes. I'm going to try and take my hammock and stand for naps and lounging around the camp but I will be sleeping in the tent with my wife. I hope we dont have much wind but if so I will be able to give you a better answer to you question then

Images
    I got sand everywhere after my last beach trip in a tent. Next time I am going to take a small paint brush. My thinking is that will be the best way to brush the sand off of you. I tried clothes or a towel, but that doesn't seem to do the job.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

• + New Posts