Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    L.L. UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images

Red Zing-it bleeding

Greetings, I am a newb who has been getting my supplies together for a four day motorcycle campout. In my procurement process I ordered a 180ft roll of red Zing-it. Upon trying different setups in the backyard I noticed that the red color had come off on my hardware, and I started to look a bit "red-handed".

So, buyer beware. The red will/may bleed... I searched and didn't see many postings about the red Zing-it so I thought I would document my findings here. I called Samson (manufacture) and they said it may have been a "cure" problem. IDK, it seemed like it was just a red wax that was applied that is destined to come off quickly. After the coating rubs off on something, the rope itself is white/gray underneath. YMMV.

Good ending to story for me. I bought it from Sherrill Tree (it is an arborist throwline after all) and contacted them as per Samson's suggestion. They were great, and volunteered to send me a roll of the yellow Zing-it. and told me to keep the red line. Great service, more than I expected. So the red will be going into the bug-out bag, bye bye paracord...

It all bleeds and fades on you. I'm actually working with some red zing it right now making some mini ucr's and my fingers are covered in the coating. None the less I like the red coloring even when it fades to a light red. I haven't seen it turn pink yet so that's a plus.

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I agree - it all bleeds and fades. The coating is called Samthane, and it wears off. I think you had a "Duh" moment.

If you think Zing-it bleeds, you should stay away from Amsteel altogether.

I'm surprised the salesman didn't know that all Dyneema-based rope bleeds and fades.
    Last edited by SilvrSurfr; 10-07-2016 at 12:40.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    WB XLC DL 1.7
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    Wooki/Mamba
    Images
    My hands are always stained after splicing Zing-It and Amsteel. It stains dutch bling too.

Hammock
    WL Lt Owl
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Outdoors
    Insulation
    Burrow/Incubator
    Suspension
    Tree straps
    Quote Originally Posted by Mayfly-1970 View Post
    .... They were great, and volunteered to send me a roll of the yellow Zing-i...
    I have never had a problem with the Yellow Zing-it.

Regarding Amsteel, I typically stick with the silver however, I have also had good experience with the Yellow and Blue. Red, Green and Black have all bled terribly. If bright orange or bright yellow/green are desirable, Dynaglide keeps its color well.

Good Luck and Welcome to the forums
    Questioning authority, Rocking the boat & Stirring the pot - Since 1965

Hammock
    Bearded H.- Chameleon on the way!
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    L.L. UQ, JRB TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I agree - it all bleeds and fades. The coating is called Samthane, and it wears off. I think you had a "Duh" moment.
    Thanks for the rudeness, we can't all come out of the womb knowing and experiencing everything such as you obviously did.

I have used the yellow Zing-it and the grey Lash-it and never had an issue with the bleeding and marking up the gear. However, after one afternoon of use I have red marks on everything I used. Therefore, as a consideration to others who are may be looking into buying a supply of line and prefer not to have this happen, I logged my personal experience. If you like the red wax, "Samthane", on your stuff then have at it. For me, if I had known it was an issue before purchasing it, I would have just stuck with the other options.

Thanks again for your insight.
    Last edited by Mayfly-1970; 10-07-2016 at 18:57. Reason: typo

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    HG DCF-All of them
    Insulation
    HammockGear
    Suspension
    Kevlar + Beckett
    Images
    Thanks for the rudeness, we can't all come out of the womb knowing and experiencing everything such as you obviously did.

I have used the yellow Zing-it and the grey Lash-it and never had an issue with the bleeding and marking up the gear. However, after one afternoon of use I have red marks on everything I used. Therefore, as a consideration to others who are may be looking into buying a supply of line and prefer not to have this happen, I logged my personal experience. If you like the red wax, "Samthane", on your stuff then have at it. For me, if I had known it was an issue before purchasing it, I would have just stuck with the other options.

Not that Surfr, needs my help in any way, but I strongly doubt that there was any intent focused at being rude. Single dimension of the written word is easily misinterpreted. In any event, my CRL is red Zingit.. I have a longer line than I need regularly use and have about 8 or 9 feet coiled at the end just in case. The main section of the ridge line is faded to a pale red while the rarely handled extra footage is still strong, bright red. Any time I touch the extra cordage I get some coating on my hands. All of my tie outs are yellow zingit and though they have faded over time, I don't see the color coming off on my hands. All my DynaGlide and Amsteel fade and rub as well.. Never gave much mind to it either way.
    Yes, my pack weighs 70lbs, but it's all light weight gear....
    Bob's brother-in-law

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I have used the yellow Zing-it and the grey Lash-it and never had an issue with the bleeding and marking up the gear.
    Yellow and gray are just about the only colors that don't bleed extensively, but they all fade.

If you like the red wax, "Samthane", on your stuff then have at it.
    Actually, Samthane is a pretty useful coating, and you'll find it on all Samson Zing-It and Amsteel. From Samson's website:

Samthane

Samthane coatings are a family of abrasion resistant coatings specifically formulated for specific rope constructions and their new applications. The advantages of Samthane coatings and some of the common coatings are outlined below:

Advantages:

>Improved service life
    >Reduced snagging
    >Enhanced abrasion resistance
    >Protection from contamination
    >Reduced cutting damage
    >Color coding for identification

http://www.samsonropecatalogs.com/lg...l_Catalog_2011

Zing-It and Amsteel are probably the most popular ropes used in hammocking. If you don't like the bleeding, just stick with yellow and grey.
    "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Hammock
    Dutch 11ft
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Huggers/Muletape

SilvrSurfr is just blunt and straight-forward with his posts. Read any of his replies and you'll see that it's just his way of communicating. He's a bottom line up front kind of guy but he puts a lot of effort in to helping people on HammockForums.

Hammock
    Mackinac Bridge
    Tarp
    DCF
    Insulation
    Grey Goose Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    I've never used the grey Lash-It so I can't speak about that but the yellow (and red) Zing-It definitely bleeds. It's more difficult to see than the red but spend a couple hours splicing the yellow and you'll have that color on your hands. At least I do.
    "Behold, as a wild a** of the desert, go I forth to my work." -- Guerney Halleck

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast