Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Hammock
    Warbonnet Black Bird
    Tarp
    BWDD Winterdream
    Insulation
    Speer Snugfit
    Images
    Wow, just under 3000 miles. Wow. That's cool.
    Bad spellers of the world Untie!

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by T-BACK View Post
    Maybe this is the first of the 12steps!
    Great first step partner.

Now is it step #8 or #9 where you make amends to your hiking partner for things like eating the last two Reeses, not hearing whistles, etc?

Seriously though folks, Brian was the best hiking partner anyone could ask for. It's definitely not the same not waking up to his smiling sleepy face peeking out from the hammock above me every morning, and I know that being able to take shelter under the edge of the winter tarp truly made the difference in keeping my sanity, and saved me from an even earlier wet retreat. You tree dwellers are useful sometimes after all!

It was a a great hike, and so hard to watch the pain that caused the end. Reintegrating into this "other life" is tough. You'll get there eventually, hon.

HUGS - J
    HUGS - J

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Wow Brian... good to hear from you, but sorry to hear that things have been, & still are so tough.
    I'll hope & pray for quicker than expected recovery, both physically & emotionally.
    Give me a call when you feel up to it. ...Tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    Cuben
    Insulation
    Phoenix
    Suspension
    Strap, Whoopie
    Images
    Welcome back, T-Back. 3000 miles is a heck of an accomplishment, and about 2990 more than I've hiked this year (I canoe.)

Have you thought about combining your experience in health care with your love of the outdoors? That might make it more palatable to work where your experience is. Ambulance responder for search and rescue, or some kind of Camp Health care provider? Just sayin - even if it isn't what you totally want to do, it may get you through/ be close enough while you plan a total breakaway.

Hammock
    depends on weather
    Tarp
    SWT
    Insulation
    various
    Suspension
    Straps, Dutch Clip
    Images
    T-Back,
    I saw your hammock sack (very cool )which led to your post about it which led here. Sorry I missed this post originally but I was very busy when it was active.

Sorry about your "failure", too. I wish I could "fail" like that. 3000 miles! Holy long walks, Batman! I trust you realize now just what an accomplishment that was. How has the re-integration gone? Have you ever talked to Michele (Certain)? I know she was trying to re-integrate just before you and might be good to chat with.

Congratulations.
    JayS

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JayS View Post
    T-Back,
    I saw your hammock sack (very cool )which led to your post about it which led here. Sorry I missed this post originally but I was very busy when it was active.

Sorry about your "failure", too. I wish I could "fail" like that. 3000 miles! Holy long walks, Batman! I trust you realize now just what an accomplishment that was. How has the re-integration gone? Have you ever talked to Michele (Certain)? I know she was trying to re-integrate just before you and might be good to chat with.

Congratulations.
    JayS
    Reintegrating SUCKS! It is only managable. I finished the AT just under 11 months ago. Dayhikes and overnights just don't hold the same feel they used to. I accepted the fact that I can't hike forever. But I also realize that after you do a long trip like that, it is something that keeps drawing you back. One of those things that it's had to describe and you have to experience it to understand. I think it is only a matter of time before the next long trip happens. I'm hoping within the next 5 years.

I talked with a couple friends I have that don't hike, but do more traveling/backpacking. Their opinion seems to be in line with mine.
    Is that too much to ask? Girls with frikkin' lasers on their heads?
    The hanger formly known as "hammock engineer".

Images
    I have had to adapt due to my illness more than anything else. It was a huge shock to go from living outdoors to just peeking out at it a few times a day as I let the dog out. If I get my health issues resolved I plan on going on an extended celebration hike. If not, I'm going to try and get in some canoe trips. I feel constantly drawn back into nature. I can certainly do without a lot of the trail culture but I sure do miss the trail!
    Brian
    ...and there came to be a day, all too soon, that I became aware that I could travel no more on my long journey. Though I did not arrive where I had planned, I believe that here is exactly where I am supposed to be...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12