Tarp
    bigger is better;)
    Insulation
    HG, JRB, UGQ, WL
    Suspension
    If it aint Dutch..
    Images

Hot Springs Sept 2012 Trip Report

Arrived Thursday afternoon, checked in, drove to the site...noticed perhaps not really three hammock hang spots as I'd been told - walked over to site 413 and lollygagged a bit with Hangin' Burrito, Running Feather, LazyBee, met JohnOBX and a few others too.

Walked back to my site, The 409 Site, appropriately named- cause it was "clean" of any great hammock hangin spots - yikes! Thinking, "Where are Doodad and L.D. Cakes going to put their hammocks? Encroached on a couple trees bordering site #411 and hung my hammock there.
    Note to self: When at Hot Springs campground rent sites 411 or 407 for lots of hammock hang spots -but not site 409.

Next, deployed the hammock, sleep system, tarp.
    Wow! car camping is nice -had all the amenities with me, and nothing to carry more than 20 yards. Set up a gravity fed fresh water supply, then headed back to the group site.

Thursday evening's entertainment was watching Hangin'Burrito and his sizzlin' Dutch Oven - yum... Chicken alrfredo! And, HB managed to turn out a delicious meal -- despite being guided with tips from everyone else there - all at once. Much joyful lollygagging followed a delicious dinner.

Hot Springs campground is a beautiful one and we were right beside the river - gotta love waterfront property in a hammock! Stars in the clear skies, mid-50s sleepng weather, and the white noise of rapids in the distance. All that and a full tummy made sleeping delightful. Except, what was that brief, quiet scratching under my hammock?

Friday morning - The coffee was ready at the group camp site - nice seeing a pot full of coffee percolating on the tripod over the fire. HB declares we are going to have a Mountain-Man Dutch-oven Breakfast and WOW- he wasn't kidding! HB, that is the very best breakfast I've had on the trail - and better than most restaurants too!. Who needs PopTarts and oatmeal while HB's carrying a dutch oven?

After breakfast and coffee, I took the laptop up to the Spa and used their wireless to let Sluggie and Lump know why i had to encroach on their site's boundaries. Next, I headed over to the outfitters in town to round-out the prizes for the kids drawing (that was the original plan anyway...Really!). Nice folks there- seeing products, in stock on the shelves, that are not in most other outfitter stores is wonderful! - err... until time to check-out anyway ;-)

I was still wondering where everyone was going to hang since site 409 had not so many good trees. Fortunately, Lump arrived later Friday - carrying a "medieval-style" two-hammock stand - Yea Lump! You saved the day! Now there are enough hammock hang spots for all! Say Lump, "How much you want for a set of those medieval hammock stand connectors?"

• Err... wait, didn't Lump and Sluggie save the day for me at John Rock Hang too (they knew the trail to the hang spot). Getting a pattern here - Thanks Lump, Thanks Sluggie!
    The weather Friday aftrnoon was a treat! I managed to avoid any real exercise and just enjoy the perfect weather, meet my new HF friends and complete some extensive lollygagging around the campsite. JohnObX demo-ed a campfire device that has already been added to my "IWOOT" gear wishlist ("I-Want-One-Of-Those"). A few of us did manage to take a walk into town for dinner at the Smokey Mountain Diner. And of course stop at the outfitters again to soothe some lingering "gearitis".

I'll let Doodad explain the missing hammock story that Detail Man brought to us during our "dinner at the Diner" - it all worked out fine eventually.

Friday night, as more hangers arrived, the campsite's "circle-of-chairs" grew larger and larger, and so did the good fellowship. I enjoyed talking with folks I met during the John Rock hang and getting to know the folks i just met here for the first time. Ya'll are great! Thank you Hammock Forums.

Friday night was interesting -after i crawled into the hammock there was an interesting tapping on my bottom. For now, I'll call it Cat-Bat-Syndrome, or maybe one of you will come up with a better name. This is what you feel when the local campgrounds kitty playfully swats at your bottom while you're swaying in your hammock - took a minute to figure out that one it did. -- Sheesh!

Saturday was busy for all. I want to say a special thanks to RockDawg69 for producing a delicious breakfast to start the day for all of us. And to Hb's tripod campfire coffee too. Paddlers paddled, hikers hiked, and even more HF folks showed up. I mostly obsessed about getting the prize drawing details "right" and managed to do more lollygagging too. Snocmpr arrived and all us gear heads were slack-jawed watching him demo an antique stove (did you say like ones used by Sir Edmund Hillary's expedition?). Snocampr brought some other collectables too. It's a rare and wonderful thing, being surrounded by others as interested in gear... OH! and, everything tastes better with some Smokin' Joe's Hotsauce on it - Thanks Resqsarge03!

I hope everyone enjoyed the prize drawing - especially the kids! Our Hammock Forums Vendors are a really wonderful group of folks - their donated prizes created a lot of happy faces and generated lots'o conversations too. Congratulations winners! And, Thank you hammock forum vendors!

Our Saturday night group dinner was delicious! I was about to eat all of LazyBee's chili and Fishbone's Beans too (Perhaps I was subconsciously trying to head off another round of Cat-Bat-Syndrome?).

Fishbone's Mandolin playing just "fit" the scene and "potted meat" was a frequent topic around the campfire!
    Special mention has to go out to SpamBurgular for reciting the longest "Karl" sliloquoy I've ever heard since watching the movie. You've got competition Shug!

Later that night i was mumbling,"...go away you silly cat!"

RockDawk69 and his elves produced another fantastick breakfast Sunday morning. And, I want to especially thank Snocampr, for brewing some of the freshest, most tasty coffee I've ever had (using that 1934 stove and hand grinding coffee beans - which were Roasted by Snocampr himself). Detail Man's fresh, local Honey topped off the coffee wonderfully.
    Most folks packed up early. I managed to depart as late as possible- a bit sad not having a group campfire to look forward to Sunday evening.

On the trip home, I mounted an expedition to Diamond Brand Outfitters and Frugal Backpacker too! I also stopped at Crowder's mountain for a Hot chocolate and a pastry in the Piney Woods...mmm...

Lessons learned:
    • The second group hang is even better than the first!
    • Every new hanger you meet will either have some neat gear to chat about; show you an interesting suspension tip; or add something interesting to the conversations 'round the campfire.
    • It's better when someone knows how many hammocks can actually hang on the site you rented.
    • Always hang with Sluggie and Lump ;-)
    • I really do not need to actually pack Everything into the car - just because we are car camping. Really! I won't use it all, so it's OK for me to leave some gear at home next time...
    • Hammock forums vendors are the best!

Meeting Hammock Forums vendors at a group hang is great! Thanks JohnOBX, thanks Dale, thanks www.tttrailgear.com !!

I'm looking forward to seeing everyone at the next group hang - Soon.
    Let me know if i got your name incorrect or an event out of order - send a PM and i'll correct it.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Loki; 09-24-2012 at 08:02.
    - Loki my videos
    "Climb the mountains and get their good tidings.
    Nature's peace will flow into you as sunshine flows into trees.
    The winds will blow their own freshness into you, and the storms their energy,
    while cares will drop away from you like the leaves of Autumn." — John Muir

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle the Camper View Post
    I showed Sluggie's slideshow to my friend Melanie, who was interviewing me on Wednesday for Verve magazine's "Double Life" monthly feature. I guess like most people I know in Asheville and WNC, I lead a double life because I have a suburban home and job, but sneak out to the woods every chance I get.

It was charming to show those photos to someone else, and it made me appreciate all those I met at the hang, and all that I have learned from Hammock Forums! Thanks, y'all!

Check out Verve magazine's Oct (or maybe Nov) issue to see the interview. I'm gonna use my hammock for the "photo shoot" of my wild side
    Please keep us informed.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Wow! Loki, not only did you organize the prize drawing and pull it off as smooth as glass, but you write an all inclusive trip report too!!
    Kudos man! Very nice write up.
    There will be an April 2013 Hot Springs Hang if I've got anything to do with it. Everyone had a great time I believe.
    Thanks again to all that made this a most enjoyable gathering!

See ya'll at the next hang!

HB
    "Is this the best you've got?!!" (Shortoff Mtn., Linville Gorge 2010)

"Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid!".....(John Wayne)

Hammock
    WarBonnet Blackbird 1.1
    Tarp
    WarBonnet Edge
    Insulation
    4 JRB quilts.
    Suspension
    Home made job.

Sos

WHAAATTT... No video!

But, but, but, I want a video!

I've been waiting and waiting...

Don’t make me stamp my feet!

SOS ... ---...

Mmmmm!

Oak Ridge & Linville Gorge, North Carolina
    Hammock
    HHE, 2QZQ Mod4, Jerry 5 DIY
    Tarp
    HG Cuben/SFly Camo
    Insulation
    HammockGear Prod.
    Suspension
    Use them all!
    Images

Talking

HB ... I gotta ask ... has RF stopped grinning yet?

WARNING: Will discuss Rhurbarb Strawberry Pie and Livermush at random.

"A democracy is two wolves and a small lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom under a constitutional republic is a well armed lamb contesting the vote." ... B.Franklin

Home of the Gorge Rats: Linville Gorge
    My Videos YouTube Channel
    Photo collections Flickr Photostream

Gorge Rat Productions On FaceBook

Hammock
    Mosquito Jungle
    Tarp
    Oware 8x10 w/Beaks
    Insulation
    DIY SPE w/ccf, etc
    Suspension
    JRB webbing
    Nice write-up, Loki!

By the lack of report, looks like the beans did the trick with the cat!
    Next time we'll need a few more pickers for the jam session.

And before I forget, thanks to all the vendors for the great prizes!!!! The bugnet/peak bag I got from 2Q2Z was very much appreciated.

We'll see y'all down the trail!
    "A good traveler has no fixed plans and is not intent on arriving." - Lao Tzu

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images
    Here's what few pics/vids I took in camp and on the river trip. Sorry I didn't get more on the river but I was kinda busy paddling and having so much fun! The water was low but it made some of the ledges more like drops and waves more pronounced! I think everyone who survived enjoyed it.
    Looking forward to doing it again next year!

http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/583406133nQKrHA
    Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 dbl + TTTG Switchback
    Tarp
    OES SpinnUL 11x10
    Insulation
    Nest, Hudson River
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Stingerz
    Great write up there Loki. Thanks again for doing the raffle thing. Hope we can do justice to the one this weekend for Grayson hang. Another thank you to all the great vendors who furnished stuff for the raffle.
    Rockdawg69

It's a long way to the top if you want to Rock and Roll ----- those hills!!!

Professional Prevaricator: Part-time dealer in Yarns, Tales, Half-Truths, & Outright Lies -1st half-hour session at no cost (Lawyers and Doctors excepted).

Hammock
    Custom Gathered End
    Tarp
    Macat Ultra,UGQ WD
    Insulation
    Incubator/Pea Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Dutchware
    Images

HB's Chuck Box

The Hanging Burrito is a master cabinet maker and in a couple days he whipped up this handy dandy base camp kitchen box for our hang!

Hootenanny Hang June 11-13, 2021
    Love many, trust few & always paddle your own canoe. American Proverb

Adventure is Calling... nolilearn.org

Hammock
    Black DIY dual zipper
    Tarp
    Black DIY 10'X12'
    Insulation
    DIY down UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Thanks Cakes, I had totally forgot you did this video.
    I already miss Hot Springs, we all had so much fun. Oh well, next spring we'll have to do it again!
    HB
    "Is this the best you've got?!!" (Shortoff Mtn., Linville Gorge 2010)

"Life is tough.....it's even tougher if you're stupid!".....(John Wayne)

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast