Gathered End w bugnet
    Tarp
    DIY Hex & Sock
    Insulation
    DIY Down UQ TQs
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    Images
    Hammock sock? If you run into this regularly that might be a solution.
    HangingOut (hno) made medicine man a killer solution but it's Cuban (sp) & a little pricy. HNO has another solution in the works that is cheaper & Fish<>< is working on ideas for a poorman's version. There is at least one other diy sock solution with description that was posted in the spring iirc.

Ed
    DIY Quilt Spreadsheets: http://is.gd/pcEXXK
    DIY Project List: http://is.gd/pcsxfQ

Hammock
    DIY double layer
    Tarp
    Guide Gear
    Insulation
    Pad or DIY quilt
    Suspension
    rings and strap
    Images
    +1 on the DWR concept.

Justification: Three years ago, I camped at Icewater Spring Shelter, on a ridge above the shelter itself.

During the night, it rained a real thunderstorm, that lasted into morning. On that hike I was using a Virga Tarptent. With the venting all the way around the perimeter of the tent and the strong winds, lots of water blew under.

In the morning, I found myself with my feet in a pool of water and water beading on top of my bag.

BUT-- the down wasn't seriously wet. I was dry inside the bag.

I shook the water off. packed up, and hit the trail. The Kelty bag outer is DWR material.
    DWR will give you the best performance.

My DIY underquilt is made of 1.1 ripstop top and bottom. This turns out to be too thin. Wind blows right through. I have to use my poncho for a wind shield. (and I suppose rain shield if I ever get that low. My 9x9 tarp is really good coverage.

Excuse my rambling. Have a good day.
    grinder

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Thanks for the suggestions. Maybe I'm just overly and unjustifiably suspicious of dwr. It's just so dang costly to experiment...

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Using ENO...so/so
    Insulation
    nothin' yet
    Suspension
    Python Straps
    What if the outside layer was something like Tyvak, water resistant and breathable. Though I guess you would still have the problem with the moisture going in faster then it can escape. Just a thought on this end.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MLD Hexagon
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    How about 2QZQ's waterproof protector/vapor barrier?
    http://www.2qzqhammockhanger.com/ham...cessories.html
    Should do the trick with the added benefit of the flexibility it'd give you. Waterproof when you need it, breathable when you don't.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Should do the trick with the added benefit of the flexibility it'd give you. Waterproof when you need it, breathable when you don't.
    ZQ here....the silnylon UQP is waterproof..but not breathable, and can double as a vapor barrier. The breathable UQP (made from calandered 1.1 ripstop nylon) is water/wind resistant.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Banned
    Hammock
    Sold
    Insulation
    Varies
    Suspension
    Depends
    [QUOTE=K0m4;812389]I was wondering if there's anyone making UQs with at least a section on the underside nearest to the ground of waterproof cloth? I noticed this summer that in some circumstances when I was "forced" to hang particularly low (e.g. in shelters and such), the uq would touch the ground. Where I'm from, you always have to be prepared for wet conditions.

I am currently living on the west coast of Oregon, the rain here is frequently a problem. Not as much as it was before so many of our forests have been hacked down.

I am still trying to decide how to keep the bottom of my UQ dry. I will follow your post to see what you come up with.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Cuben Fiber 9oz
    Insulation
    Under/top quilt
    Suspension
    whoopee sling
    How high can water splish under a tarp. My hammick is usualy at least 30" when I'm in it. I tryed it in the back yard with a garden hose. I could not get it to splash higher then about 15" no mater the angle I used or the force of the stream.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by warbonnetguy View Post
    yes, there definately would be a problem there. the way a uq works, moisture passes from you through the quilt, the insulation and out the bottom layer. top and bottom layers need to be about the same degree of breathability. you don't want moisture going in faster than it can escape, otherwise it will build up in the down.

most quilt companies will be using fabric finished with a dwr treatment, this treatment does wear off over time but like mentioned already, you can buy dwr in a spray can to revive it's water resistence.

you can make the bottom layer out of silnylon, but you'd need to make the inner layer out of sil too, i've done this and it works well and really cuts the wind, the problem is you could probably never wash it or dry it so you better hope it never gets wet inside. i think you'd be better off making a sil or cuben cover that covers both sides. or you could make a cover that just covers the bottom of the quilt but you'd need to make sure it fits "baggy" so there's air space between the undercover and the quilt so the quilt has an air space to vent into
    Ditto all of that. Or, if you have a double layer WB or other hammock, you could line it with a 2 oz space blanket, which I suspect would work as it does for me in the HH Super Shelter. Which is not an UQ exactly, but it is sort of. An open cell foam pad which is compressible and forms to the shape of your body, more or less. Plus a space blanket on top of that pad- snug against the bottom of the hammock- which functions as both a vapor and reflective barrier. At least for me, the fact that the SB is kept warm by my body heat prevents condensation. As we all know from our car windshields, water vapor condenses to liquid when it reaches or contacts the dew point, some colder temp. ( Sweat is an entirely different matter)

Underneath the OCF pad is a water and wind proof sil-nylon undercover. I have never had any condensation at all in the UC or OCF pad, unless I did not use the SB. ( people's experiences vary ) Sometimes, when not using the SB in the 40s, I have had no noticeable condensation, one other time I was soaked.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir Fry View Post
    How high can water splish under a tarp. My hammick is usualy at least 30" when I'm in it. I tryed it in the back yard with a garden hose. I could not get it to splash higher then about 15" no mater the angle I used or the force of the stream.
    Pretty high, apparently. I once had an UQ get quite wet from splashup under an 11X10 tarp. I was probably hanging about normal height- the hammock was unoccupied. But the DWR on the JRB UQ did the job- fortunately I did not have to pack up - and things dried quickly on the sunny day that followed the storm, with no loss of loft even before the shell dried.

Many a time - using the small HH tarp - the bottom of my HHSS undercover has been dripping, whether from splash up, sideways rain or just dew. But all has remained dry inside.
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-21-2012 at 20:36.

Hammock
    WBBB XLC 1.7
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB yeti, HG Burrow
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    This is more and more looking like the only viable solution. The problem for me is that the conditions are like that often enough that I'd basically have to set it up with the cover every time. This is why I was hoping there could be a permanent solution, "integrated" in the uq itself, to avoid having another step while setting up/breaking camp.

Maybe dwr is enough though. I think I'll give it a try. If it can keep fog, mist and morning dew at bay, I'd only need to set the extra barrier up when I hang low.

Quote Originally Posted by Stir Fry View Post
    It's not water splashing up I'm concerned about, although that could also happen I guess. Two scenarios have warranted my question: i) morning mist strong enough to make everything wet, and ii) situations where you hang really low. I had both happen to me this summer: my uq was touching the wet ground when hanging from a shelter, and the morning mist is very frequently strong enough to make water pearl and run off hard surfaces (or soft ones soaking wet) where I mostly hang. It almost has to be a particularly dry summer for it not to happen almost every morning, and in Sweden there is no such thing

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast