Thread: Rope vs webbing

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Rope vs webbing

I'm considering using rope on the ends instead of the webbing like on my Speer style hammock. What are the pros and cons of using rope over the flat webbing. Where do you get rope? What type rope should I get? I weigh about 270lbs or so.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    I'm considering using rope on the ends instead of the webbing like on my Speer style hammock. What are the pros and cons of using rope over the flat webbing. Where do you get rope? What type rope should I get? I weigh about 270lbs or so.
    Cord can be lighter, but IMO webbing is more convenient.

I use short pieces of the Spyderline here:

http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d3000/e852.asp

to go from my hammock to my buckles. I think it's plenty strong, but there's been some recent discussion on that. To me, you shouldn't need a breaking strength ~4x the tension you'll be putting on something. For climbing, yes. For this, no. Just extra weight. Anyway, you might want to check out some of the other opinions before deciding.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

With webbing my hammock always leans to one side. I guess I "broke in" the hammock the wrong way by getting in and out of the same side too often. I figure with rope it wouldn't matter. And I'd be able to adjust it better in the future.

I'm open to either though.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by funbun View Post
    With webbing my hammock always leans to one side. I guess I "broke in" the hammock the wrong way by getting in and out of the same side too often. I figure with rope it wouldn't matter. And I'd be able to adjust it better in the future.

I'm open to either though.
    I can't say for sure without seeing the effect you're describing, but I think it might have more to do with the hammock body material than the webbing. The edges of the body nylon take more punishment than the rest - because they stick up and you're sitting on them as you get in and out. Especially if you're always using one side like you describe, that edge may have just sort of permanently stretched out, making the thing 'list' to one side. It's sort of hard to imagine the suspension causing something like that. JMO.
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    Yes
    Tarp
    greenish grey
    Insulation
    greyish green
    Suspension
    Trees, duh.
    Images
    This has occasionally been challenged, but many would say that webbing is easier on the trees - spreads the load over a wider area so as not to bruise the cambrium. It's a reason why tree huggers are strongly encouraged if you use rope.

I also find webbing to be easier to untie/unwrap in the morning after a night of cold rain.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    choosing between webbing or rope isn't going to help or cause the hammock to lean to one side. if you had the support rope or webbing on one side of the hammock, i suppose it could make some difference, but i've never seen that to be the case.
    like blackbishiop said, it's most likely the hammock material or getting in & out one side all the time.
    but i use mine at home exclusively & get in & out the same side... sometimes for months at a time w/ the same hammock.
    my guess would be the fabric doesn't have very good memory (like me<g>) or it wasn't gathered correctly at the ends when it was put together.
    as for using rope on the trees, i will share my opinion on that.
    i've seen first hand what rope can do to a tree. webbing can do damage too, but not nearly as much or as likely.
    it may not kill the tree, but it sure don't help it.
    and if we want to continue to pass along a good name for hammock camping, it's in our best interest (as well as the trees) to encourage using webbing around the trees. ...tim
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    Blackbird
    Tarp
    MacCat Standard
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti, MWUQ4
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    If you didn't whip the hammock tightly enough, that side can slide out a bit with use. Add in the fabric stretch and that can cause what you're talking about. I doubt the rope or webbing is causing it, unless I don't understand what you mean by "leaning."

Rope - most folks use some kind of Spectra with tree huggers. Pros - lighter (a little bit, depending on what rope/cord you use), less bulky. Cons - have to keep up with two extra pieces (tree huggers), not as convenient to set up (just opinion...others differ).

Youngblood uses hollow-core rope that flattens out against the tree so it doesn't cut into it. It doesn't have a very high breaking point either, but he hangs it with a lot of sag (w/o ridgeline) so there isn't much force on it. I think it's the normal yellow rope you can get from Walmart.
    “Republics are created by the virtue, public spirit, and intelligence of the citizens. They fall when the wise are banished from the public councils because they dare to be honest, and the profligate are rewarded because they flatter the people, in order to betray them.” ~Judge Joseph Story

- My site: http://www.tothewoods.net/
    - Designer, Jeff's Gear Hammock / Pack Cover by JRB

IMPOSSIBLE JUST TAKES LONGER

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    yep, i've used the hollow core rope. it does flatten out & spread the load over a some what wider area.
    but be cautious if you go that route. i saw it damage a tree i was tied to last year too.
    it's light weight, but kinda bulky.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jeff View Post
    If you didn't whip the hammock tightly enough, that side can slide out a bit with use. Add in the fabric stretch and that can cause what you're talking about. I doubt the rope or webbing is causing it, unless I don't understand what you mean by "leaning."
    I didn't whip the ends. It has a big knot like the Speer hammock. I guess it's the knot I should have asked about.

Hammock
    DIY speer type
    Tarp
    OES Maccat
    Insulation
    JRB Nest+ORM
    Suspension
    Webbing + Slings
    Images
    Ah- the knot- yes that can cause the hammock to "list" fix the knot- it's not the webbing, I don't think.

titanium_hiker
    my hammock gear weights total: 2430g (~86oz)
    Winter: total 2521 (~89oz)
    (see my profile for detailed weights)

gram counter, not gram weenie!

• + New Posts