Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Hammock
    ENO SN (so far!)
    Suspension
    Atlas straps
    I bought a 'cam jam' few weeks ago. it seems similar with some line tighteners ive seen discussions. I dont know if they have the same weight load, slim figure and overall low weight of a figure9 but they sure are a nifty piece of gear.i used one recently to hang a tarp above our infant daughters pool and it worked like a champ.

http://www.amazon.com/Nite-Ize-NCJ2-...te+ize+cam+jam

Hammock
    WBBB,WBRR,DIY
    Tarp
    HG WP,WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Whoopies&DutchGear
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    Good ?..
    I'm looking at all kinds of options, but can't decide. I tried a pressick (can't spell) but it slips on amsteel as does the figure 9. I'm using a mini 8 and it holds the tarp line well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    On slick lines, an extra turn or two will make a prussic hold, generally. The prussics on my tarp RL (Zing-It, slick stuff) are wrapped five times and seem to be holding well.
    +1 to adding another wrap to the prussick. If between that and rubbing some of the slick finish off of the line doesn't solve your problem and things are still slipping, try a Klemheist knot, they work really well, hold better in my opinion, but they are directional so you have to tie them in the correct direction.

Hammock
    Dangerbird, (custom) thanks Papa
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    Thanks Kyle, ill try a few more wrapps. Is the texture about the same on amsteel, dynaglide, and zing it? I'm ready to order more to play with but haven't decided what to order. What's up with braided mason line?

Hammock
    Work in Prog
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    The kite bow line tensioners would work with the 1.5mm spectra core line I use for guy lines from Ultralight Designs. But shipping is ridiculous. So, I cut up an aluminum arrow into 1.5" sections and drilled 1/16 inch holes for the lines, mimicking the traditional tent line tensioners.

They weigh next to nothing.

I like lines held by metal: carabiners, buckles, stakes, and now tensioners of my own making.

When I get them painted I hope to have pictures.

Mike
    you should see how mad my wife gets when I keep spare parts from everything. I do the same thing. I just need to learn how to do it for hammocking. Stealing ideas from you guys helps.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1DL Black
    Tarp
    HG Camo Cuben
    Insulation
    Incubator/Mamba
    Suspension
    DIY DG Whoopies
    Quote Originally Posted by ibgary View Post
    Thanks Kyle, ill try a few more wrapps. Is the texture about the same on amsteel, dynaglide, and zing it? I'm ready to order more to play with but haven't decided what to order. What's up with braided mason line?
    You know, I've never really sat and compared them all... Zing-It and Dynaglide have a coating that makes them a little more stiff, and I think more slick as well. Take this with a grain of salt, but I suspect they would go, in order of least slippery to most: Amsteel, Zing-It, Dynaglide. Again, though, I'm just speculating there, never really tried comparing them. Braided mason line works okay as guylines (it does stretch considerably, however, especially when wet), but not so much as a ridgeline, IMO. It frays easy, so the bark on trees will tear it up.

Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post
    +1 to adding another wrap to the prussick. If between that and rubbing some of the slick finish off of the line doesn't solve your problem and things are still slipping, try a Klemheist knot, they work really well, hold better in my opinion, but they are directional so you have to tie them in the correct direction.

I've read about that knot on here a handful of times, but never bothered to look it up. Looks like an easy knot, and a pretty cool one at that. Thanks for the diagram!

Hammock
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by raiffnuke View Post

Thanks. I tried this a few minutes ago and it holds great on the amsteel. The klemheist is 3/32 tactical nylon and doesn't slip at all. Happy Days.

Hammock
    ENO DN
    Tarp
    Superfly w/ doors
    Insulation
    DIY Climashield
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    The great thing about the Klemheist is you can tie it on a vertical rope fairly easily with one hand. Just sling the the knot around the line and let it wrap itself, then push the know up through the loop.
    Arguing with an engineer is like wrestling a pig in the mud. Your not going to win, and after a while you realize the pig is enjoying it.

Hammock
    Tarp
    10x10 DIY
    Insulation
    DIY insultex.
    Suspension
    Woopie, UCR
    I used jumars/ascender,but I agree it is an easier Knott.

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123