Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Questions about the Ridgerunner

I recently talked my girlfriend into buying a hammock after I let her try my Blackbird out. She said she liked it, so we got her all set up and then went camping...

And now she wants a different kind of hammock. Her complaint with the Blackbird is that it doesn't lay flat enough. Could she sleep on her stomach in a Ridgerunner without the banana effect?

Also, how stable is the Ridgerunner? She sometimes tosses a bit in her sleep. It never upset the Blackbird, but I worry it might be more problematic in a bridge system.

Finally, are Blackbirds still selling fairly well? She's looking to trade it out if we can find her a model she likes more.

Thanks in advance for the replies.

Hammock
    Warbonnet ON!
    Tarp
    SuperFly or MacCat
    Insulation
    Yetis & Mambas
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by s1125r View Post
    I recently talked my girlfriend into buying a hammock after I let her try my Blackbird out. She said she liked it, so we got her all set up and then went camping...
    Good job!
    Quote Originally Posted by s1125r View Post
    Could she sleep on her stomach in a Ridgerunner without the banana effect?

Also, how stable is the Ridgerunner? She sometimes tosses a bit in her sleep. It never upset the Blackbird, but I worry it might be more problematic in a bridge system.

Finally, are Blackbirds still selling fairly well? She's looking to trade it out if we can find her a model she likes more.
    Yes, it is very flat. I am not a stomach sleeper, so probably not the best source on the topic. That said, I was able to lay on my stomach without feeling hyper-extended.

It is very stable, although you don't think that to be the case until you get in; it looks scary. Once in the hammock, it is at least as stable as my other hammocks. Course, that stability is subject to your positioning. For instance, sit up and scoot down to the foot-end to deal with the netting and personal balance is going to come into play hard and fast. For tossing and turning, very stable.

Well, I think the crush has faded on the Blackbirds. I think I saw one for sale for a couple of days recently. They still seem to hold their value, but they don't sell within 5 minutes the way they used to sell around here. Still hard to beat the value retention on the Birds.
    Trust nobody!

Hammock
    WBBB XLC DL 1.1
    Tarp
    Superfly, OES, HG
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Stock
    Images
    If your girlfriend is anything like my fiancee', she will love the Ridgerunner. My fiancee' liked the Blackbird, but when she laid in the Ridgerunner she said there was just no comparison...she immediately loved it. She sleeps in all different positions and loved that she could lay on her stomach. She also said she felt much less "confined" in it and liked the open field of view on both sides of the hammock. Hope this helps

Im considering the the ridgerunner for my girlfriend as well. What are the basic advantages of the ridgerunner vs. the blackbird? Primarily just a flatter lay?

Images
    flatter lay, better view, and a little more storage space. comfort is subjective, some may find the RR more comfortable than the bb, some will find the opposite.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I need to hit 50 posts to make a for sale thread, which means I better get to posting...

Hammock
    Darien ul
    Tarp
    HG winter palace
    Insulation
    Sniv/HG incubato 0
    Suspension
    dutch woopie hooks
    Images
    I own both bb,rr if you dont mind a little extra wieght get the RR

Hammock
    SuperiorGear or Dutch netless
    Tarp
    custom pentagon
    Insulation
    down hammock or UQ
    Suspension
    Dutch Mantis
    Images
    I would argue that sleeping on your stomach is not all that in the RR, UNLESS you're using a pad. The material does have some give to it so that if using an UQ, you will still hyperextend some - especially since the head end tends to raise the head up. You've maybe heard by now you might not need a pilliow in the RR?

But the pad evens things out pretty good for stomach sleeping, especially if you have it pretty firm. My only deal with the pad is that the head end is greater than 26" and, therefore, gives room for a pad to slide around some. I've got a rather slick pad that I will have to add some tackiness to, but it wasn't bad.

Thanks for the info, Dakota.

Hammock
    WB / BIAS
    Tarp
    HG Custom 4S
    Insulation
    WB Lynx, HG, MB
    Suspension
    Whoopies/Straps
    I have both the BB and the RR and find the RR to be the only hammock I've ever been able to sleep on my stomach. But I do like to use a pillow in it. The BB has its own sweet spot, and is awesome as well, but I have a messed up back and shoulder and find that its easier to sleep through the night in the RR.

Cheers

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast