Images

Sleeping Bag as Underquilt

Has this idea already been considered and discarded? Just don't want to reinvent the wheel...

Picture here: http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...php?i=509&c=13

Hammock
    Dual Layer WB Blackbird
    Tarp
    OES Cuben
    Insulation
    SnugFit
    Images
    I think there are some that have modded sleeping bag for use as under quilts. If you have a full zip bag I would think that it would be as easy as adding some grosgrain loops in the proper places.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by skeenut View Post
    Has this idea already been considered and discarded? Just don't want to reinvent the wheel...

Picture here: http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery...php?i=509&c=13
    People have made some quilts/pods that way. I think there's a couple inherent problems in the simplest "just drape it over and go" version, but have at it! It could definitely work with some design ingenuity!
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I use my sleeping bags around the hammock pod style. It works very well for me. You will have a small airspace between your chest and bag very similar to an issue discussed in another thread about the Peapod. My 20 degree bag weighs 2lbs and will keep me comfortable to that temp. It can get toasty with extra clothing or lightweight topquilt.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by HANGnOUT View Post
    I use my sleeping bags around the hammock pod style. It works very well for me. You will have a small airspace between your chest and bag very similar to an issue discussed in another thread about the Peapod. My 20 degree bag weighs 2lbs and will keep me comfortable to that temp. It can get toasty with extra clothing or lightweight topquilt.
    How do you get the bag to accommodate the extra girth of the hammock versus your body?
    "Physics is the only true science. All else is stamp collecting." - J. J. Thompson

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I put a small hole in the footend of the bag and pull up around the hammock. Think of pulling on a pair of pants. I hook the head end underneath to a tarp tensioner tied near the whipping. If you think about it the bag is shaped to the hammock and your body already. I have only used this on Clark and Speer style hammocks. I always use a Long bag and have found the old style North Face Flight Series bags are about perfect for me. I can still get a slight asym lay. It is much better than fighting pads and bags inside the hammock but probably not as versatile as underquilt/topquilt.

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I put a small hole in the footend of the bag and pull up around the hammock. Think of pulling on a pair of pants. I hook the head end underneath to a tarp tensioner tied near the whipping. If you think about it the bag is shaped to the hammock and your body already. I have only used this on Clark and Speer style hammocks. I always use a Long bag and have found the old style North Face Flight Series bags are about perfect for me. I can still get a slight asym lay. It is much better than fighting pads and bags inside the hammock but probably not as versatile as underquilt/topquilt.
    Do you plug the air gap in the foot box with something? Or is it not an issue?

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    I really do not have an air gap with these bags. The bag covers the whipping and the entire end of hammock. I do keep any extra clothes in the footend for storage which helps also

Hammock
    Homemade Speer-type
    Tarp
    BlackCat
    Insulation
    Potomac UQ
    Suspension
    Homemade/CC Buckle
    Images
    I really do not have an air gap with these bags. The bag covers the whipping and the entire end of hammock. I do keep any extra clothes in the footend for storage which helps also
    Wow ok...how long's your hammock then? Mine is 10'...little too long for a bag to cover the whole thing

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY Tarps
    Insulation
    Leigh's UQ's
    Images
    Inside length for my winter hammocks is about 96" the same as a Clark ultralight or Claytor hammock. The long bags are 90" (Not all longs are 90"). My summer DIY's are longer. This is an alternative for the person that has a long bag already. My experience is that using a pad and bag inside the hammock is a PIA plus you are wasting most of your insulation laying on it. I have more room in the bag this way due to it maintaining its shape. Not all bags are suited for this use either. If the bag is not tapered enough going to the footend you can have air pockets that keep the bag from performing to temp rating.

• + New Posts