Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    MLD Cuben
    Insulation
    EE Cuben Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch

Lightest bottom insulation for around 15 degrees?

I have done some research here and purchased alot of items just off of lurking. I am so new that my first hammock item isn't due to arrive in the mail till tomorrow and a lot of my kit is still being made. I really want to jump in this fall and the only item that I haven't been able to lurk out is bottom insulation. You can see what I am going to be running in the profile info at the left. Everything is paid for, just waiting for construction and shipment so no changes to that gear, in poker terms I am "pot committed". My top quilt is a zero degree rating down quilt since I will be going to higher elevations between 6-10 thousand ft.

Just looking for input on the lightest set up I can get away with, I can "gut it out" to a certain extent but I don't want to be in any serious danger if I can avoid it at elevation.

Thanks,
    Dave

Hammock
    Warbonnet
    Tarp
    HG/BWWD/Z-Packs
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    Woopies & Straps
    Images
    http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=53238

Check out the specs for my Custom Hammock Gear 20 Rated Phoenix. I would venture to say that with proper clothing and a partial pad you could take this baby down to 15.
    Sometimes I like to hike and think, And sometimes I just like to hike.

Hiking is'ent about waiting for the storm to pass its about learning to hike in the rain.

Images
    absolute lightest and cheapest bottom insulation is a closed cell foam pad (high quality foam like eva, minicell, high quality landau foams). the neo air pad is pretty light but i don't see a rating on it

pads in general have their drawbacks though, most people find them to detract from the comfort of a hammock and thus prefer an underquilt. as far as underquilts go a torso length underquilt would be lighter than a full length one. our 3 season yeti is 12oz and rated to 20deg for an average sleeper. warm or cold sleepers would be above or below this number. generally in the hammock industry, 3 season stuff is rated to 20 and winter to 0. warm sleepers would be able to take a 20deg quilt to 15 or even 10 possibly while a cold sleeper might only make it to 30 with the same quilt. overstuffing a 3 season quilt is also an option to get a few more degrees of warmth

Everything that warbonnetguy said.

Foam is the cheapest and lightest.

If you go for a down underquilt, (which is extremely comfy) you will get the lightest by picking a higher FP for the fill. A 900fp down quilt would be almost half the wight of a 500fp down quilt.
    There's whole stickies devoted to math and insulation effectiveness in the insulation sub-forum.

Hammock
    Blackbird XL
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    HG UQ and TQ
    Suspension
    straps and buckles
    I combine foam with a 3/4 length 900 FP underquilt slightly overstuffed and could easily get to 15, with proper dress. I am a warm sleeper though. I use a small foam pad under my feet and legs. Also, a little warm water in a bottle can make a big difference for me. When my wife and I go winter camping she grabs her warm water bottle, smiles at me and says, "I have a new best friend I am taking to bed with me." I am supposed to be amused.
    “Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?”
    ― Douglas Adams, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Not that others are less capable, but LeighLo, with her capable and experience chief of R&D, decided to be different.

LeighLo's new 3-season underquilts are built and rated to 15F instead of 20F as they were previously.

Hammock
    Switchback 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    MLD Cuben
    Insulation
    EE Cuben Down
    Suspension
    Whoopie/Dutch
    I think I will look into the 2/3 UQ with a stubby pad more. That idea really appeals to me. Thank you.

• + New Posts