Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast
    Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Winter Yeti
    After much lurking on this thread...I am coming! I have started packing and have my food set up. I have been in the backyard down to 24 degrees many nights with warmth and comfort....so I think I will be good. This will be my first time in the COLD not near my house, so I took Doctari's advice and I am ready to winter hang.

Commit your ways to the LORD and He shall direct your path
    (Proverbs 3:5) ........which is good, because I like to walk down lots of paths.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    HG Phnix,Bur,Incu
    Suspension
    Whoppies/Straps
    My son Zane and I will be able to make the hang. Didn't know for sure untill a couple days ago if he would be able to go. He goes to college in Cleveland,OH and works a part time job,but was able to get off. We should get there arround noon on Friday.

Hammock
    DIY, BB, Snipe
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images
    Hey Doctari, the latest forecast shows much cooler temps coming in for our weekend. Certain lows in the teens for us, maybe colder. Hopefully any precip will be of the fluffy kind! Good backdrop for a winter hike in the High Country and some campfire storytellin!

Hammock
    WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    USMCStang, there are so many options up there for hiking that you could probably just start walking, then turn around when you still have time to make it back for some food. I wouldn't be too late, though, or there may not be much left!

I'm planning to do some hiking there as well. Chickadee and I will probably hike to the Wise Thursday night, likely on the AT from Massie Gap. Friday we may tag along with Doctari to Scales if he does that, or back to Massie Gap.

We thought about parking at the campground, hiking up to the Wise Thursday, then down to Massie Gap, over the Twin Pinnacles trail, then back to the campground on Stampers Creek trail. That might be a bit much, though, especially considering that I'm really sick and feeling like crap. I've been diagnosed with the flu and am home from work right now. It hasn't been a fun couple of days, let me tell you, but I'm on antivirals and will hopefully be back up to strength by next week. I just hope Chickadee stays healthy.

Saturday, if I'm healthy, we may hike up from Massie Gap, maybe toward Mt. Rogers and back depending on weather and what others want to do. I'm really just leaving it open--my biggest desire is just to spend a nice weekend in the mountains with my daughter and friends.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    If time is short, there's a nice loop up Wilson Creek and back by the road to the Wise shelter. A bunch of us did it last year - I think it took a couple of hours. Bonsaihiker, you might want your Tenkara rod with you.

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    If time is short, there's a nice loop up Wilson Creek and back by the road to the Wise shelter. A bunch of us did it last year - I think it took a couple of hours. Bonsaihiker, you might want your Tenkara rod with you.
    Well, I am more of a traditional fly-fisher, but believe me I would love to bring my gear along. Trouble is the cost of the permits. Last time I checked, I need a Virginia 5-day non-resident freshwater fishing license was $21, plus a designated trout water stamp costing $49, plus a national forest stamp, whatever that costs. There's no way I can justify those costs for what would only be a few hours of fishing at the most. If anyone knows differently about the fees, please PM me, but those were the approximate fees for this year the last time I checked.
    --Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    DIY, BB, Snipe
    Tarp
    HG
    Insulation
    HG
    Suspension
    Dutch n whoops
    Images
    Weather update: Weekend is looking to be pretty good. Much different than last year. Moderate temps and a fair amount of sun.

Thurs- 41/29 cloudy, 10% precip WNW at 9
    Fri- 36/26 mostly cloudy, 20% precip WNW at 7
    Sat- 36/25 sunny, 0% precip, WNW at 8

Better get some trail miles in!

Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&amp;Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    I'm still gonna wax up the pulk.
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

Hammock
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Wax up the pulk! Weather depends on what report you read...weather.com reports a 60% chance of snow on the 18th!

I'm just packing for all possible weather variants, and will be happy just being up in the mountains...
    --Scott <><

Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&amp;Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    Got the same game plan! See ya soon.
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

• + New Posts
  • Page 14 of 27 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast