WB Ridgerunner or a gathered-end
    Tarp
    Waterproof
    Insulation
    Down underquilt
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    It'll be good to see you again, Kent--I think....

I just finished watching you stuff pork hocks up your nose....whew....that, was, um...whew. I want to hear that from your side, K?

--Scott <><

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found, which are invariably beautiful... because, in a world where most men seem to spend their lives doing things they hate, my fishing is at once an endless source of delight and an act of small rebellion; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...." --Robert Traver

Hammock
    WBBB DL 1.0
    Tarp
    WBBMJ
    Insulation
    DIY UQ, HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickery View Post
    I'm still gonna wax up the pulk.
    Heck, I still have to finish mine. I'm using schedule 80 pvc and an old MOLLE pack frame as a harness.

Really hoping for some snow
    Mike, Backcountry Mentor
    https://backcountrymentor.com
    Check me out on YouTube!
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCuhqpe2xIWBXRVtpB5dxAJA

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I'll bring my pulk and winter hammock, but it doesn't look like we'll have the weather for it. On the other hand, I look forward to finally seeing the higher elevations. Looking at an overnight loop to the Scales.

Hammock
    SMr Parés, [o]TTeR Recliner
    Tarp
    SMr Nubé
    Insulation
    TTT Polar Pod
    Suspension
    SMr EZ slings
    Images
    What time are you thinking about heading out for the overnight loop and how long is the hike? Trying to decide if I am going to just car camp and what gear. If I just car camp, bringing the NX-250, if backpacking going with the eno. What to do, what to do?

Hammock
    HH Deep Jungle Long
    Tarp
    HH stock (diamond)
    Insulation
    Incubator+Renegade
    Suspension
    huggers &amp; whoopies
    Not looking good for Jimbo. Work getting in the way and will almost certainly prevent me and my Jimbolaya from making it. VERY sad for me

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGMofo View Post
    What time are you thinking about heading out for the overnight loop and how long is the hike? Trying to decide if I am going to just car camp and what gear. If I just car camp, bringing the NX-250, if backpacking going with the eno. What to do, what to do?
    BFGMoto,
    Bring both. That's the advantage of car camping. I'll have two different setups with me, possibly three. That's what I did last year, but used only one to sleep in. The others were there in case I needed a change, and they were good for show and tell.

As to the hike, I'd welcome company. In fact I probably wouldn't venture far solo because it's winter and I don't know the trails. I'll be getting there sometime Thursday, and won't plan to spend long cutting firewood because Hickery is bringing his truckload Thursday this year. (Thanks!) Doctari and some others will be hiking then, too, and while I may not follow the same route, I'll at least make sure somebody knows where I'm headed. There's an easy hike in to the Wise shelter that I do know, and it's on the way to the Scales. Whatever I do Thursday and/or Friday night, I'll plan to be back at the campground on Saturday. Bring your NX-250 for then, at least. (Also bring it because I've never seen one up close. )

Here's a description of one possible loop. Not all these trails are on my GPS, but map, compass, and altimeter are my main navigational tools. ("MyTrails" map overlay from GPSfiledepot.com is great, but not complete.) I find the National Geographic maps of the area a bit confusing, but usable. See what you can find. Thanks for the interest.

Hammock
    DIY, gathered end , w/ spreader
    Tarp
    JRB Universal
    Insulation
    DAM/ HG Incubator
    Suspension
    Webbing and rings
    Images
    I'll plan to bring fire wood too. I believe last year we burned the last of it on Sun morn.
    I'll bring the big blue tarp too, just in case we want it set up.
    I too will something make and joy in it's making

Hammock
    SMr Parés, [o]TTeR Recliner
    Tarp
    SMr Nubé
    Insulation
    TTT Polar Pod
    Suspension
    SMr EZ slings
    Images
    [QUOTE=WV;908936]BFGMoto,
    Bring both. That's the advantage of car camping. I'll have two different setups with me, possibly three. That's what I did last year, but used only one to sleep in. The others were there in case I needed a change, and they were good for show and tell.

Now that's what I call forward thinking. Funny thing, right before reading your reply, my two functioning brain cells collided and I thought, "heck, going to be in the car area at some point. Why not bring both?".

I am planning to get to the group area between 12 and 2. If you want a tag along, I'm up for the backcountry camping. Are fires allowed?

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGMofo View Post

I am planning to get to the group area between 12 and 2. If you want a tag along, I'm up for the backcountry camping. Are fires allowed?

There are very beautiful campsites all over the hills of Grayson. Some very nice ones are about 30 minutes away from Mount Rogers Peak. There are no fees or permits needed for backcountry camping. You are not allowed to camp or have campfires on the summit.
    No fires are permitted in the Little Wilson and Lewis Fork areas (locations within the Jefferson National Forrest)
    I'd need to check in with the park rangers to make sure I understand where those areas are exactly, but in general I'd say the woods are wet enough that there won't be a fire ban. Wind will probably be something to take into account. I carry a folding buck saw and look for fallen dry trees. Vertical dead trees are more likely to be dry, and I've been know to push on a leaner if it doesn't look like a habitat tree. Last year 2Q and I easily collected enough wood for the Thursday night fire at the campground. People at the Wise shelter are likely to have a campfire going, but that area gets heavy use and wood is scarce nearby. I will aim for the same 12 to 2 window on Thursday. Check at the Massie Gap parking area before you head down to the campground.

Hammock
    DH Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    I thinking of showing up to this hang but can not commit. It would be a wake up and decide thing. If I where to go it would be for one night, maybe two. would I be welcome and would I still need to sign up?

• + New Posts
  • Page 15 of 27 FirstFirst ... 5131415161725 ... LastLast