Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Coffee View Post
    Thanks it will be good to see everyone again. It's been too long and thankfully I'm not traveling as much as I used to with work.

Is there anything else that is needed for the potluck? Planning on stopping at the store for food on the drive in so I don't have to bring any with me.
    It will be good to see you again. Catch up on a few things & do a few day hike miles!
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    SMr Parés, [o]TTeR Recliner
    Tarp
    SMr Nubé
    Insulation
    TTT Polar Pod
    Suspension
    SMr EZ slings
    Images
    Just trying to confirm, is there a planned group backpacking overnight for Thursday? I would very much like to join in if this is the case. This is my first trip to Mt Rogers and will need to know where to start and where to go. Looking forward to meeting everyone and Thursday can't get here quick enough. I am looking at a 6 and a half hour drive and plan to head out at 6 am Thursday morning. Don't mind going it alone, but because this is my first trek on this mountain, I would welcome company.
    Scars are tattoos with better stories.

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    BFGMoto,
    I'll plan to be there between 12 and 2 pm, as you suggested. I suggest meeting at the Backpackers' Parking Lot at Massie Gap, which is near the turnoff for the campground. We may find other HF members there, or at least their vehicles if they're already on the trail. I plan to head toward the Wise Shelter, where I know a campfire is permitted, and then, depending on the time and other factors, possibly continue toward the Scales.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    Widerness Logics
    Suspension
    Adjustable Webbing
    I'm in a quandary! I rally want to come and I have been planning on it but I am a builder and I'm in the middle of framing a house which is difficult in winter around here. The weather this weekend is going to be mild and my client may not be happy if I am not there working on the house Friday and Saturday. I was really hoping for crappy weather so it would be easy for me to slip away! I'm 50/50 right now. What would you do (seriously).

Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    Dave,planning on doing the same.Gonna drop off wood at the group site before striking off.
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    Custom OES
    Insulation
    DIM UQ NoSniv TQ
    Suspension
    JRB Triglide/strap
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BFGMofo View Post
    Just trying to confirm, is there a planned group backpacking overnight for Thursday? I would very much like to join in if this is the case. This is my first trip to Mt Rogers and will need to know where to start and where to go. Looking forward to meeting everyone and Thursday can't get here quick enough. I am looking at a 6 and a half hour drive and plan to head out at 6 am Thursday morning. Don't mind going it alone, but because this is my first trek on this mountain, I would welcome company.
    No "planned" or "group" anything on Thursday. A few of us are getting there early & hiking in somewhere. A few "WV, Bonsaihiker, Chickadee, etc.) are going to the Wise shelter, Firewalker & I MAY go there, we will decide when we get to the park Thursday AM. I've been wanting to camp ON Mt Rogers summit for years, so if no snow we MAY go there. MAY end up at the Wise, or even the Scales though.

Latch: It's not good to have clients mad at you, but like mentioned to Lost Biker: You do better work with your mind on where you are & not wishing you were elsewhere. If it helps, the hang is the 3rd weekend in January next year also.
    When you have a backpack on, no matter where you are, you’re home.
    PAIN is INEVITABLE. MISERY is OPTIONAL.

Hammock
    Blue Bean by Shug,Clark Tropical
    Tarp
    Shug Over,WBSF
    Insulation
    Crowsnest&Burrow
    Suspension
    Once
    Latch,bring the client with.
    "I like grits,because they have no bones" Chet Atkins

Hammock
    Tarp
    SMr Nubé
    Insulation
    TTT Polar Pod
    Suspension
    SMr EZ slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by WV View Post
    BFGMoto,
    I'll plan to be there between 12 and 2 pm, as you suggested. I suggest meeting at the Backpackers' Parking Lot at Massie Gap, which is near the turnoff for the campground. We may find other HF members there, or at least their vehicles if they're already on the trail. I plan to head toward the Wise Shelter, where I know a campfire is permitted, and then, depending on the time and other factors, possibly continue toward the Scales.
    Thanks Dave. I will take your advice and park at Massie Gap and head toward the Wise Shelter. No need to wait on me if I am not there when you are ready to go, I will follow your lead and see what the time and other conditions are after making it to the shelter.

Looking forward to meeting every one.

Dave H.

Hammock
    Tarp
    SMr Nubé
    Insulation
    TTT Polar Pod
    Suspension
    SMr EZ slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    No "planned" or "group" anything on Thursday. A few of us are getting there early & hiking in somewhere. A few "WV, Bonsaihiker, Chickadee, etc.) are going to the Wise shelter, Firewalker & I MAY go there, we will decide when we get to the park Thursday AM. I've been wanting to camp ON Mt Rogers summit for years, so if no snow we MAY go there. MAY end up at the Wise, or even the Scales though.

Latch: It's not good to have clients mad at you, but like mentioned to Lost Biker: You do better work with your mind on where you are & not wishing you were elsewhere. If it helps, the hang is the 3rd weekend in January next year also.
    Thanks Doctari,

With WV's advice and your input that is now my goal for Thursday. I will be leaving the Massie Gap parking area sometime between 12 and 2 and will make my way to the shelter. Depending on time and conditions I may push on to the scales and try to hook up with WV but if it is starting to get dark and you have a fire my guess is the shelter area will end up being home for the night. Are there good trees near the shelter for hanging?

Dave H.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    Custom OES tarp
    Insulation
    JRB Down UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Doctari View Post
    Firewalker & I MAY go there, we will decide when we get to the park Thursday AM.
    Be SURE to remind Firewalker to bring his hand warmers and foot warmers.

"Civilization is the limitless multiplication of unnecessary necessities."
    - Mark Twain
    “I go to nature to be soothed and healed, and to have my senses put in order.”
    - John Burroughs

• + New Posts
  • Page 19 of 27 FirstFirst ... 91718192021 ... LastLast