Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast
    Hammock
    DIY Speer style
    Tarp
    Hallelujah
    Insulation
    "Sto" Serape & RRG
    Images
    We have the BEST mods of any forum on the internet!!!!

Thank you mods!!! You are doing an excellent job!!!!

If anyone disagrees with the TOS of hammock-forums then they are free to "hang up" on this forum and find another one more to their liking.

In my opinion this post should have been rejected.

Maybe he just enjoys stirring the pot to get an argument going so he can show off his ignorance and lack of decency and manners.

Hammock
    DIY Table Cloth/ Jerry 5
    Tarp
    11x12' Hex Sil
    Insulation
    Various UQ/TQ
    Suspension
    Webbing or Etrunks
    Images
    It is easy to get angry when someone disagrees with you. The OP seems upset at the lack of a chat function, and the mods response to his suggestion. Watching a few similar threads develop, I can see both sides. Many of these ideas are not new. The mods have already considered them and made a decision on them. The mods responses are generally swift and short. Something like, "We have discussed this before and it isn't the direction we want to take Hammockforum.net." The person making the suggestion probably feels like they are being blown off and that the mods aren't listening to suggestions.

Personally, I would rather get the "Not gonna happen, sorry" over a "well take it under advisement." At least the mods are forward and honest about their moderation of the forum. I admire that.

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post
    Unfortunately that would only have proved his point.At least to him.Oh well... guess this kind of puts things in perspective.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Quote Originally Posted by tight-wad View Post

Maybe he just enjoys stirring the pot to get an argument going so he can show off his ignorance and lack of decency and manners.
    proving his point eh
    'Classic.' A book which people praise and don't read.” ― Mark Twain

Who cares about showers, gourmet food, using flush toilets. Just keep on walking and being away from it all.

There are times that the only way you can do something is to do it alone.

Hammock
    WBBB SGL 1.1
    Tarp
    HG Std Cuben
    Insulation
    Down UQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    I think that sometimes (and I believe this to be the case with the OP) more is read into the tone of something a moderator says than was actually intended. As canoebie often tells us, it is difficult to accurately convey tone in written language without actual body language to back it up.
    I wholeheartedly agree! I seem to have a particular ability to piss people off even though I go to great lengths attempting to read and re-read my internet writings beforehand in an attempt to be clear and avoid any emotional misinterpretation. This syndrome would run rampant on HF, as it does on other forums, if it were not for the moderators.

I happily join the ranks of those who have run afoul of HF moderators before and applaud them for helping us all to learn how to get along and play nice.
    I personally welcome any suggestions from the mods that helps me deal with my own shortcomings.

This forum is what it is because those who stay are comfortable with following the rules they agreed to when they joined. What a novel concept in today's society!

I visit HF several times daily. It feels like family to me even though I have met very few personally. Thanks to the mods for diligently working to keep it this way.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survives, nor the most intelligent that survives. It is the one that is the most adaptable to change.
    Charles Darwin

Hammock
    DYI, ENO DB, HH
    Tarp
    Varies
    Insulation
    WOOL
    Suspension
    STOCK
    I have been scolded a couple of times. I just accepted the correction, and did not exactly do it again.

You have to have guidelines to insure civilized behavior. I belong to a group of people with the same medical condition. Last December, there was one person posting, that had a complete melt down, on line. Many posters entered into the rude postings. People that were new to the site, they entered into the middle of the discord, taking sides, enlarging the disagreement. I communicated with the moderators, nothing was done with the situation. Things became very bad, I started getting nasty stuff sent through the mail. I filed a formal complaint with the USPS, police were involved. Someone lost their job, over the mess on the website.

All of that could have been avoided if our moderators had been moderating. As things turned out the Web Site was shut down for a week, while everyone calmed down.

I like that everyone is not bickering or being turkeys. I think a good job is being done, I like the order of the site. Men, women, confused, some young and some older. Many different socioeconomic situations. Buy the newest, DIY and everything inbetween. I like it.

I came to HF with the feeling that I was being allowed into someone elses party. How wrong that turned out to be, as all at once I came to understand that this was my place too. I totally appreciate how everything is done, and even the two or three times a moderator took the time to help me in getting started. Ever been offended? No way. Our Mods rock.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 dbl.
    Tarp
    WBSuperfly w/doors
    Insulation
    JRB TQ & UQ quilts
    Suspension
    Web
    Quote Originally Posted by Ramblinrev View Post
    Unfortunately that would only have proved his point.At least to him.Oh well... guess this kind of puts things in perspective.
    It isn't the first time I've posted this; RREV IS RIGHT !!!
    ... And I'm sure it won't be the last.

Most of us here are Americans or are otherwise from liberal (notice small L so not trying to be political) western democracies so it's understandable that we'd bristle and chafe when we think our free speach rights are being trod apon, but we must also remember individual ownership and property rights are a huge part of our philosophies as well. Being that we all are under the mods e-roof we have to play according to their rules. Hammock Forums; Love it or leave it!

Senior Member mountain_man_mike's Avatar
    Hammock
    DIY
    Tarp
    DIY silnylon
    Insulation
    DIY CLIMASHIELD UQ
    Suspension
    DIY hugs & whoopie
    AS speaks wisely, however I didn't read into it that the moderators were not or had not been members. I can see how isolating them in posts may allow for that perspective though. With the membership of 16,000+ and five moderators, they are an active crew alright but I have always viewed them as seasoned forum members who wanted to make this place as wonderful as it is. They earn the respect they get every day.

I agree with AS that in the written language it's difficult to express the emotion and that does indeed lead to one thought being interpreted as another resulting in some unintentional hurt feelings.

Last, it's so stinking refreshing to see that I am not the only one (or even one of just a few) that the moderators devoted some errr... attention to.
    Happy Trails to one and all.
    Enjoy the outdoors wisely and elevate your perspective.

Modified Penny Wood Stove instructional Video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0fPlHqsYy38

Hammock Wheel https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...09#post1035609

Another Really cool JC Penny Puffer instructional- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...141#post953141

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by mountain_man_mike View Post
    Last, it's so stinking refreshing to see that I am not the only one (or even one of just a few) that the moderators devoted some errr... attention to.
    Yep, they're out to get you, those mods!

If there are only five for 16,000+ members, I vote for giving them all a raise. They're doing a great job.

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast