Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Need Comfort Help

Hi All,
    I have made my own gathered end hammock (actually wife made it). Have used it for a while now, but have come to the realization that I am not all that comfortable sleeping in it. I feel cocooned in and invariably my feet end up higher than my head. I really want to like it as I love the idea of it and being able to camp anywhere there are trees and absolutely love sitting in it and not having to kneel or get to my feet in the morning. I have even bought a Speer Peapod, which is awesome. As well I have just bought a quilt and underquilt from Hammockgear, all good kit. What I am wondering is if perhaps the bridge style hammock would be better for me? Seems like you'd get a flatter lay without the problems I've experienced. Although then I'd have to get different insulation, if I understand right, as the Peapod and underquilt wouldn't work. That's fine if I have to change my system a bit, I just want to have a good night's sleep.
    Please help.

Hammock
    WL Lite Owl / DIY
    Tarp
    Tadpole
    Insulation
    How cold is it?
    Suspension
    Always Changing :)
    I absolutely love my lite owl. I'm not sure how long your hammock is, but that could be part of it. Also, if you have it too lose or too tight, that will effect your lay. Are you laying on a diagonal? There are a lot of factors that come into play. Before you go buy another hammock I would suggest trying to attend a hang. Most people are very friendly and will even let you try out some of their gear. Good luck on your quest.

Also, I sleep better in my hammock than I do in my bed, but some people just don't like 'em?
    If you ain't havin' fun, you're doin' it wrong

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    What are the dimensions of your hammock and do you have any pictures of it setup? More information will help others to give suggestions for you to try out.

Cheers

Brian
    Last edited by BrianWillan; 09-21-2012 at 12:09.
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    That's my first question - dimensions, fabric, maybe a pic. I'm in love with longer hammocks, 10.5 ft or longer. They are infinitely more comfortable than the shorter ones I've tried.

There are also other factors. A hammock ridgeline can insure a consistent lay - I'm a big fan. A photo of your setup would allow people to see what you may be doing wrong - trees too far apart, tree straps not high enough to insure the proper 30-degree angle, etc.

I just measured, it is 116 inches, knot to knot. I don't have any pictures of it setup but will try on the weekend. I do lay diagonally and I don't think that the ridgeline is too loose or too tight, but I could be mistaken. I really want to be comfortable.

I think the fabric is 1.1oz ripstop, if I remember correctly. I'll try to get some pictures as soon as possible. I think I'm doing the angles right and the distance between trees about right too as I've experimented with those. Obviously I'm doing something wrong though. I sure appreciate the help from those who know.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Hex
    Insulation
    HG:Burrow/Incubato
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    I have my foot end 6 inches higher then me head end when you're not in the hammock. I know it sounds backwards but when you lay in it you'll see why. you have lots more fabric for your legs to stretch out and get flat. I also use a blow up pillow under me knees. they weigh nothing to carry and you can adjust how much air you need in it to get comfy.

Once you hit the sweet spot.... it's all you will think about

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    Maybe a double layer hammock or some something heavier than 1.1 rip will make a difference.........like 1.7 or 1.9.
    Shug
    Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner
    Tarp
    Cloudburst
    Insulation
    Lynx and Burrow
    Suspension
    Strap and Buckle
    All the above are GREAT recommendations, but to answer your question about bridge hammocks.... With Bridge hammocks you will get a flatter lay and you'll likely feel less confined as there is little to no fabric that comes up your sides. My newest bridge is the WBRR and it's amazingly comfortable, the view is great, and there is very little feeling of being confined. The HammockGear UQ should work fine on it too. Like I said before though, all the above are great recommendations that you may want to try first. Hope this was at least a little helpful
    The camper formerly known as HikingDad...

Hammock
    DIY Bridge
    Tarp
    DIY SilArgon
    Insulation
    DIY Down/Synthetic
    Suspension
    Line/strap
    Images
    My first hammock was a HH Hyperlite and I always seemed to have trouble finding the "sweet spot." The bridge idea appealed to me, so I watched GrizzlyAdams' bridge tutorial (several times! ), and made one using the dimensions in the video. The first time I slept in it, it seemed CAVERNOUS to me! (I'm 5'11", 165 lbs.) I really liked the comfort, though, so back to the drawing board I went...

My second try was quite a bit smaller. Finished fabric dimensions are 43" (36" spreader bar) at the head, and 33" (26" spreader bar) at the foot, 72" long, with a 6" cat cut. This fit me so much better, and I have all the comfort of a bridge without feeling like a pupa! Here is the fit:

My points, and I do have some , are 1.) that if you DIY a hammock, you can get it to a custom fit that works for you, and 2.) these hammocks (and really, any type of hammock) can be made rather inexpensively.

Also, I made my UQs when I still had the HH, and/but they work just as well on my new bridge.

Hope this helps!
    "You'll never get a Purple Heart hiding in a foxhole." Capt. H. P. Crowe, USMC; Guadalcanal, 13 Jan 1943

'I'm not a vegetarian because I love animals. I'm a vegetarian because I hate plants." A. Whitney Brown

"Everything takes longer once a cat gets involved." sm

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast