ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perrito View Post
    2Q,
    Hmmm.... most people seem to do it SOBO saying there are places to eat closer by. What do you think?
    I was thinking more of the hike experience itself as the scenery of the canyon is better at the northern end. It's a bit depressing hashing through the Rhodos to Blackwell and then you're done. There are the Blackwell establishments to eat however, but the ice cream at Ansonia was always a good reward for a good hike.

Also, another thought. If you start Friday night and stay down at the river on the Mid State trail that evening...A nice camping spot BTW....you can head up Bohen Run and catch the WRT making Bradley Wales for Saturday Night. It is right at the Canyon with great hanging spots.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    Hennessy Hammock zipper modifications
    Sewn on Tarp doors, Pole Pockets, and Grizz Beaks
    Ridgeline and gear organizers, peak storage bags, UQ protectors,
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Columbus Day weekend should be peak foliage!
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    I think I'm in for this trip. I've checked my schedule and cleared it with the wife. For some reason, I feel like I'm forgetting something but I'll get over it.

What day did you want to depart? Friday or Saturday is fine with me. Did you want to carpool?

Hammock
    Hennessey Explorer Ultralight
    Tarp
    Hennessey Hex
    Insulation
    HH Super Shelter
    Suspension
    ring buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    I was thinking more of the hike experience itself as the scenery of the canyon is better at the northern end. It's a bit depressing hashing through the Rhodos to Blackwell and then you're done. There are the Blackwell establishments to eat however, but the ice cream at Ansonia was always a good reward for a good hike.

Also, another thought. If you start Friday night and stay down at the river on the Mid State trail that evening...A nice camping spot BTW....you can head up Bohen Run and catch the WRT making Bradley Wales for Saturday Night. It is right at the Canyon with great hanging spots.
    The last time I was up there the Blackwell Inn was closed and out of business. Other than that there is nothing I am aware of for some distance. The Ice cream place is the closest establishment I know of to either trail head. The actual southern terminus is at Rattlesnake Rock. The parking in Blackwell is very limited and restricted for river travelers and commercial outfitters pick-ups.

Be aware the Bolen Run campsites 2Q mentioned are in the Canyon and so require permits to use. They are very popular. You might want to check with the Tioga Forest District to find out if permits are still available. The sites are also patrolled to my knowledge.
    I may be slow... But I sure am gimpy.

"Bless you child, when you set out to thread a needle don't hold the thread still and fetch the needle up to it; hold the needle still and poke the thread at it; that's the way a woman most always does, but a man always does t'other way."
    Mrs. Loftus to Huck Finn

We Don't Sew... We Make Gear! video series

Important thread injector guidelines especially for Newbies

Bobbin Tension - A Personal Viewpoint

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by SilvrSurfr View Post
    I think I'm in for this trip. I've checked my schedule and cleared it with the wife. For some reason, I feel like I'm forgetting something but I'll get over it.

What day did you want to depart? Friday or Saturday is fine with me. Did you want to carpool?
    I'm thinking that's awesome!
    There are a couple of ways to do this.
    2Question's suggestion above would have us camping near the southern terminus on Friday evening, hiking to near the midpoint the next day and finishing up at the north end on Sunday. This would be 2 days of 15-16 miles each. Most of the trail accounts I've seen have started in the north, but as 2Questions points out, the south end of the trail is the least scenic.
    I was thinking more like spreading the mileage over 3 days of hiking but the trail is supposed to be well graded so this might not be so bad. The added benefit is having Columbus Day at home. What do you think?

If we carpool, we'll have to arrange for a shuttle (~$40). Not a bad deal seeing as we'd spend more than that in gas on a round trip. If not, then we get to park a car at each end. Let's see if others join in before we decide.

It would be nice to have a small group. You've been more active this past year - see if you can convince others to join.

I'm looking forward to this!
    perrito

"If a man speaks in the woods, and there is no woman there to hear, is he still wrong?"

Hammock
    Dutch PolyD
    Tarp
    HG Winter Palace
    Insulation
    HG 0, 20, 40
    Suspension
    Dutch Whoopie Hook
    Images
    Perrito, you've hiked with me so you know my pace. I am generally in favor of two days of 15-16 miles each. I'm trying to up my daily mileage hiking. I am in a lot better shape than I was last year (and my pack weight is a lot lower) so that plan is fine with me. It would be nice to be home for Columbus Day, but if it stretches out to three days, I'm okay with that too.

I don't have an opinion on SOBO vs. NOBO, though I might once I've researched the trip a bit more. If 2Q thinks SOBO is the better route, I'd take his advice unless I hear a better argument. I didn't have any plans to enjoy the local eateries (unless there's a must-see around there), so that's not a consideration for me. I also don't have an opinion on shuttle vs carpool - either way works for me.

Though I have been more active than you this year, I generally don't try to convince others to join me. Once I decide to go, I'll do it solo even if everyone backs out - that's what's been working for me. I'm all in favor of company though - it makes the miles fly by and I enjoy the camaraderie.

I think I might do an overnighter this weekend just to get the legs ready - thinking about the Batona Trail for a good workout, maybe hike Batsto (or Buttonwood) to Batona Camp on Saturday, then hike back Sunday. I think it's about 13 miles one way. Let me know if you are interested.

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    NOBO! Ice cream is at the northern end!!
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    11' Mutton Chop
    Tarp
    Camo Cuben Palace
    Insulation
    Loco Libre!
    Suspension
    Straps and Slings
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 2Questions View Post
    NOBO! Ice cream is at the northern end!!
    Yes, NOBO sounds good. I'd like to send you a couple of map images to clarify the campsites you mentioned if it's OK with you. Thanks for the advice.
    perrito

Hammock
    HH Explorer w/ Zipper Mod #4
    Tarp
    ZQ Special w/mods
    Insulation
    Down
    Suspension
    Cinch and straps
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by perrito View Post
    Yes, NOBO sounds good. I'd like to send you a couple of map images to clarify the campsites you mentioned if it's OK with you. Thanks for the advice.
    Tim left for work...but I'm sure he wouldn't mind! If you need our e-mail address...send us a PM and I will give you that info.
    2QZQ Hammock Specialties
    Specializing in:
    2QZQ tree table!

Hammock
    BlackBird dbl 1.1+Dutchware
    Tarp
    SuperFly+Dutchware
    Insulation
    HG & Mamba
    Suspension
    Straps+Dutchware
    Images
    Rats!

I would really like to join you guys...but I am out of vacation days & I have a previous commitment on Sunday in Philadelphia.

2Q has always told me stories of his multiple trips down that trail...I need to get it off my checklist.

Be safe and have fun.
    "The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench,a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free,and good men die like dogs.There's also a negative side"
    Hunter S. Thompson

Greg

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast