Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    I just got back a month ago from hiking with Shewie and some of the other BC hangers around Braemar (Scotland Highlands). I had a stock BB bug net and I was midge free. I did have a top cover but it is not form fitted and it was not what was keeping them out. I heard about how they can get through the net but it held them at bay. BTW take a head net, gloves, and avon's skin so soft.
    Last edited by Dutch; 09-21-2012 at 11:34.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com
    http://dutchwaregear.com[/URL]
    Visit Dutchwaregear on facebook (and like it)
    Check us out on Twitter @dutchwaregear

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

Hammock
    Warbonnet BB DL 1.1 & Lite Owl
    Tarp
    Black MacCat Del.
    Insulation
    Yeti 3,4 & HRQ/HGB
    Suspension
    webbing/whoopie
    Images
    If midges are getting through noseeum netting then you have my sympathy.

bill
    " The mind creates the abyss, the heart crosses it."

“The measure of your life will not be in what you accumulate, but in what you give away.” ~Wayne Dyer

www.birchsidecustomwoodwork.com

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MLD Hexagon
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Dutch View Post
    I just got back a month ago from hiking with Shewie and some of the other BC hangers around Braemar (Scotland Highlands). I had a stock BB bug net and I was midge free. I did have a top cover but it is not form fitted and it was not what was keeping them out. I heard about how they can get through the net but it held them at bay. BTW take a head net, gloves, and avon's skin so soft.
    Maybe the buggers are just the size to sometimes be able to push their way through the netting. In that case, it would probably make the problem a noseeum netting batch related one. I.e. if you're lucky, the stock netting will be fine. If you're not and your WBBB has a net made of the "wrong" batch, the midges will have a meal...
    Thanks for the advice on the "dress code", Dutch. I'm going to make very sure I follow that.

Nows that's exactly what I'm fearing to meet ( *shiver* ). I'm one of those guys all the stinging and biting insects just love to get a piece of. If nobody else in the group so much as sees an insect, normally it's because the little critters are all busy poking holes into me.

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1SL/UKHamm
    Tarp
    HG Cuben 4S/CamoSF
    Insulation
    Hammock Gear
    Suspension
    WhoopieDutchness
    Hi Karl

The net I had fitted in my BB was junk, it only lasted a few trips before pulling apart in various places. Brandon said when he did it that it was horrid to work with and wasn't sure if it would last, he was right. It was good netting for other applications like bug jackets etc, but over the ridgeline on my BB and the packing away just killed it.
    I'm not sure if it's an option but nano-seeum is what you really need to keep them out, Dutch said he had no trouble when he was over but I did have that one experience on Loch Shiel when they were climbing through the weave.

I've just had my BB modded again by Mat at UKHammocks, it's now got nano-seeum fitted but I've not had chance to try it yet, my last trip was on the deck.

You could try and spray your BB with permethrin if you have any, failing that just wear a headnet to bed and try not to watch them

Have a great trip, it's a beautiful place

Hammock
    Bridgeskin
    Tarp
    DIY Blackcat
    Insulation
    DIY Quilts
    Suspension
    Whoopie sling
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Karl View Post
    Maybe the buggers are just the size to sometimes be able to push their way through the netting. In that case, it would probably make the problem a noseeum netting batch related one. I.e. if you're lucky, the stock netting will be fine. If you're not and your WBBB has a net made of the "wrong" batch, the midges will have a meal...
    Thanks for the advice on the "dress code", Dutch. I'm going to make very sure I follow that.

Nows that's exactly what I'm fearing to meet ( *shiver* ). I'm one of those guys all the stinging and biting insects just love to get a piece of. If nobody else in the group so much as sees an insect, normally it's because the little critters are all busy poking holes into me.
    My tights worked well because they will enter any opening. They could not bit through and my socks were tucked in. However they found Thor way in at my wrists and above my butt.
    Scotland is the furtherest north the Roman empire advanced. The apparently didn't have the right bug netting.
    Last edited by Dutch; 09-22-2012 at 11:28.
    Peace Dutch
    GA>ME 2003

www.MakeYourGear.com

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MLD Hexagon
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by Shewie View Post
    Hi Karl

The net I had fitted in my BB was junk, it only lasted a few trips before pulling apart in various places. Brandon said when he did it that it was horrid to work with and wasn't sure if it would last, he was right. It was good netting for other applications like bug jackets etc, but over the ridgeline on my BB and the packing away just killed it.
    I'm not sure if it's an option but nano-seeum is what you really need to keep them out, Dutch said he had no trouble when he was over but I did have that one experience on Loch Shiel when they were climbing through the weave.

I've just had my BB modded again by Mat at UKHammocks, it's now got nano-seeum fitted but I've not had chance to try it yet, my last trip was on the deck.

You could try and spray your BB with permethrin if you have any, failing that just wear a headnet to bed and try not to watch them

Have a great trip, it's a beautiful place
    Shewie, that's food for thoughts, that is.
    Seems like the easiest and safest solution would be a hammock with nano-seeum built in. Which Mat at UKHammocks happens to offer. Those Woodsman X's he's got look mighty fine. Not that I really need another hammock, but...

Scotland is the furtheredt north the Roman empire advanced. The apparently didn't have the right big netting.

Hammock
    DangerBird
    Tarp
    HG Custom Cuben
    Insulation
    UQ, TQ & PeaPod
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    I have my Dangerbird fitted with nano-seeum and was on the same trip as Shewie & Dutch and had no problem with midges getting through.

But, because of nano-seeum's sheerness (is this even a word?), It does ladder easier than the standard noseeum.

Think of it, and treat it like womens stokings

P.s. I've been looking at the woodsman X too, trying hard to resist.
    Last edited by trunks; 09-21-2012 at 17:14.

Hammock
    WBBB
    Tarp
    MLD Hexagon
    Insulation
    HG Phoenix
    Suspension
    Adj webbing
    Quote Originally Posted by trunks View Post
    I have my Dangerbird fitted with nano-seeum and was on the same trip as Shewie & Dutch and had no problem with midges getting through.
    Good news on the nano-seeum netting, that is.

Quote Originally Posted by trunks View Post
    But, because of nano-seeum's sheerness (is this even a word?), It does ladder easier than the standard noseeum.

Think of it, and treat it like woman's stokings
    Oh dear, this is all getting much too exciting for me now

Hammock
    warbonnet traveler & eno DN
    Tarp
    D;Y;I
    Insulation
    incubator 0 deg
    Suspension
    tree straps
    Images

bug net

hope this helps i live in Norway and we have those little buggers here i have the stock bug net from brandon i use it with my W DL T and it dont let em in i was a bit worried at first cause they are so small and were all around me but a fire helps they dont like smoke inside the netting it was totally midge free all night happy trails mate...

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast