Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    Great illustration. Very clear. Thanks for that olddog.

Can I ask a couple of questions? Apologies if they've been answered already.

1. Does the hammock need whoopies? Once the desired amount of sag is set, I assumed that this system would negate the need to adjust.

2. Does the tarp sag when you get into the hammock? If not I think this could be my next ultimate suspension system!
    "Live like you will die tomorrow, but learn like you will live forever." Gandhi

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    This is looking really refined, olddog!

@born2roam: Dutch whoopie hooks can be used to attach hammock
    Almost weightless, quicker and lighter than a S carabiner, controls drips.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moel Siabod View Post
    1. Does the hammock need whoopies? Once the desired amount of sag is set, I assumed that this system would negate the need to adjust.
    I'm thinking that the geometry between the tarp and hammock (assuming the same tarp & hammock is always used) is fixed. Therefore, no need for whoopies between the tarp and hammock. The adjustments will take place between the tarp and trees.

But I'm still in my planning stage, olddog can confirm.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    I'm thinking that the geometry between the tarp and hammock (assuming the same tarp & hammock is always used) is fixed. Therefore, no need for whoopies between the tarp and hammock. The adjustments will take place between the tarp and trees.

But I'm still in my planning stage, olddog can confirm.
    Any thoughts on the tarp sag question?

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Try to answer some of the questions.

born2roam, I tend to always hang under a tarp even if it doesn't look like rain. We can awake down here in Florida with some pretty heavy morning dews. My tarp has braided mason line whoopies attached to each end with S-biners to the tarp loops and could be removed and stuffed back in the bag. Like BearChaser's video shows the tarp can be above or below the SLS.

Moel, the hammock doesn't need whoopies and BearChaser's system used Alpine Butterfly Loops tied in the SLS with the hammock clipped to the ABLs. I just found making my final tweeks easier with the whoopies than undoing the ABLs. Just had a thought! If the 'buried loops' for the hammock were lengthened they could replace the whoopies or ABLs. Something else to try out. As far as the tarp sagging BC shows in the video his use of tarp tensioners to maintain tension on the tarp. When he climbs into his hammock the tarp has very little change and this has been my experience.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    So c'mon...where's the catch? This system seems perfect. Is there a downside at all?

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    May I say that the geometry of the hang varies with distance between trees because the deflection varies across that parameter. Even the system I envision, once my Warbonnet straps get here, which puts tension in the SLS, will have deflection. So, whoopies at the hammock are necessary to dial in the desired hang angle.

Additionally, if one wants to have a summer breezy hang with the tarp flying high in a diamond or a high and tight weatherly hang under a close A-pitched tarp then whoopies at the hammock would be needed to achieve that range of set-up. In the later case I want to see how close to the ground I can get and still hang, bivi-style.

Mike
    Last edited by MDSH; 09-27-2012 at 11:34.

Hammock
    WBBB, D.I.Y. KSSH
    Tarp
    ZPacks
    Insulation
    H.G. & Warbonnet
    Suspension
    Whoopies & Dutch
    I noticed no difference in the hang if everything was somewhat tight. The only time I did notice a difference was when hanging between trees too close and the ridge line between the butterfly loops loosened. If it did change, it was not enough that I could tell a difference in the way the hammock hung. In my experience with the SLS, whoopies at the hammock are not needed unless, you don't want to tie/untie the butterfly loops to get your first initial setting correct. Olddog did this with his system, he used whoopies to make the initial setting the way he wanted it allot easier.

You can achieve the idea of the SLS system with a normal suspension system. Set it up tight with the ridge line of your hammock tight. Get in and see how it feels making sure the ridge line is tight when your in the hammock. Now tighten up the suspension more or loosen it a little making sure the hammocks ridge line is still tight. Your hang will be the same because the hammocks ridge line is preventing the sag of the hammock from changing, because its pulled out to its maximum length. The hammock is just going to hang down from that max length. You can string that hammock up between the trees as tight as you want, banjo tight if you wish. But you will see the hammock still just hangs there exactly the same. Now loosen the system up until the ridge line of the hammock is loose and try it out, it changes. That's because your hammock is now taking on the same angle as your tree straps coming down.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Moel Siabod View Post
    So c'mon...where's the catch? This system seems perfect. Is there a downside at all?
    Moel, just like hammocks, there is no perfect suspension system. I'm sure that with more use something will pop up. As of now my experiences have been positive. Being able to grab the tarp/suspension bag, pull the hugger from the bag, attach to tree, walk to the opposite tree while dragging the tarp/suspension out of the bag, attach the other hugger, tighten the suspension and stake the tarp. All accomplished in just a few minutes.

As MADD stated earlier one of my first attempts looked like a sailboat with rigging for tarp, hammock, UQ, bugnet. The SLS is the simplest, lightest and fastest I have found though there may be others out there. After incorporating born2roam's suggestion to permenantly attach the huggers in the SLS end whoopies and replacing carabiners and toogles with nacrabiners, my weight is down to 5.7 oz using 1/8" amsteel for the SLS. The only hardware left in the system is 2 #1 S-biners to attach the tarp to the loops. Using 7/64" for the SLS the weight can be reduced even more.

Another advantage that has become apparent is the ability to utilize trees that are spaced beyond other hangers reach. My 2 test trees in the back yard are 29' center to center.

One minor adjustment that I have used is that during a rain the tarp is hung under the SLS instead of over. This just helps to keep rain from running down the SLS and into the hammock. Some will still make it to the hammock whoopies but drip lines will take care of that.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Formerly Known as Sespe Drifter Jerven's Avatar
    Hammock
    Shelltowee Boone 20
    Tarp
    Need one
    Insulation
    UGQ
    Suspension
    buckles&straps
    To those who use spyderline for sls what size are you using? Thanks

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast