Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Well, maybe I'm underestimating this giant whoopie I made, Bear. It would be awesome to go with buried loops like olddog's system -- so light and simple.

But I've done the math here, assuming straight lines that are impossible to attain. Even under the ideal scenario that will never actually occur, if one wants to change elevations relative to conditions there has to be adjustability at the hammock whoopies.

I use a right triangle calculator with 30* hang angle as the one constant. Every variable required adjustment at the whoopies.

But I'll never know any of this for sure until I get the buckles and straps ordered from Warbonnet.

Mike
    Last edited by MDSH; 09-28-2012 at 11:21.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I see my mistake, Bear and olddog ...

Mine is not a true SLS. It's a single strap set system. SSSS, yikes! Sounds like a snake! LOL

Well, I'll work mine up and see how it goes.

It could be that in weatherly conditions hanging right up under the true SLS would be the way to go -- fast and simple set-up -- get a fire going ...

Hmmmm ....

Mike

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    I see my mistake, Bear and olddog ...

Mine is not a true SLS. It's a single strap set system. SSSS, yikes! Sounds like a snake! LOL

Well, I'll work mine up and see how it goes.

It could be that in weatherly conditions hanging right up under the true SLS would be the way to go -- fast and simple set-up -- get a fire going ...

Hmmmm ....

Mike
    Had me scratching my head there for a bit. But go for it! You might find the next best thing in suspension. Good luck.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles

About those buried loops?

Still don't have a SLS of my own. Maybe this winter...But I have a question about the buried loops. If I understand correctly, the buried loops are 'buried inside' the main suspension line. If that is so, it seems to me that once they are installed they are not adjustable along the length of the line. So...would it work to slip the tail of the amsteel loop 'over' the main line so it would be able to slide as needed for adjustment? Adjustability would not be needed on the hammock hanger loops once the right spacing was found but adjustability on the tarp loops would be like having a nice, neat prussik.
    Also, when the buried loop is 'inside', its tension is dependent on the tension of the main line squeezing down on the loop piece...if the loop is on the 'outside', the tension on the loop itself provides the squeezing around the main line. Is one way more secure than the other?
    I'm probably missing something here. Since I haven't had time to get any 'hands on' I am trying to work this all out with the other side of my brain - and that doesn't work as well.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    Still don't have a SLS of my own. Maybe this winter...But I have a question about the buried loops. If I understand correctly, the buried loops are 'buried inside' the main suspension line. If that is so, it seems to me that once they are installed they are not adjustable along the length of the line. So...would it work to slip the tail of the amsteel loop 'over' the main line so it would be able to slide as needed for adjustment? Adjustability would not be needed on the hammock hanger loops once the right spacing was found but adjustability on the tarp loops would be like having a nice, neat prussik.
    Also, when the buried loop is 'inside', its tension is dependent on the tension of the main line squeezing down on the loop piece...if the loop is on the 'outside', the tension on the loop itself provides the squeezing around the main line. Is one way more secure than the other?
    I'm probably missing something here. Since I haven't had time to get any 'hands on' I am trying to work this all out with the other side of my brain - and that doesn't work as well.
    Yes the buried loop inside the main SLS is more or less stationary. The tension can be lossened and the buried loop repositioned easily but I've placed a couple of stitches thru all layers just to keep everything in place. My tarp loops are placed far enough beyond the tarp ends that I just use small mason line whoopies to adjust the position of the tarp. I don't see why placing the buried loop over the SLS wouldn't work as a sliding loop. The only thing that comes to mind that may be a problem is finishing the raw end of the sliding loop to keep it from unraveling. Something to ponder.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Passinthru View Post
    So...would it work to slip the tail of the amsteel loop 'over' the main line so it would be able to slide as needed for adjustment? Adjustability would not be needed on the hammock hanger loops once the right spacing was found but adjustability on the tarp loops would be like having a nice, neat prussik.
    This sounds like an amazingly streamlined addition to olddog's SLS. If this setup gets any cleaner looking, it's just going to go away (visually speaking)!

As olddog questions, how durable will the unfinished ends be? I would make them a bit long on the first try.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    I'm sorry to be so dense, olddog, but may I ask, does a fixed loop stick out of the single line or does an adjustable end stick out?

Mike

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by MDSH View Post
    I'm sorry to be so dense, olddog, but may I ask, does a fixed loop stick out of the single line or does an adjustable end stick out?

Mike
    No the fixed loop tail is completely buried inside the SLS. Not the best pic.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Hammock
    Warbonnet Ridgerunner DL
    Tarp
    DD 3x3
    Insulation
    Klymit Pad/EE TQ
    Suspension
    web and buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    ... The only thing that comes to mind that may be a problem is finishing the raw end of the sliding loop to keep it from unraveling. Something to ponder.
    Glad to see that I wasn't completely misunderstanding the concept. Now, about that unfinished end. I was thinking the sliding sleeve would have an eye on one end, a short (1") backsplice on the other. The main amsteel line could enter right behind the backsplice and exit right before the eyesplice. So the 'unfinished' end would be finished and sticking out a little on one end. (takes away some of the 'neatness)
    Now, the sliding sleeve seems plenty strong enough for the tarp 'prussiks' but is it also strong enough for hammock suspension? Either way, inside or out, it seems to be a variation of an UCR which, by design, isn't quite as reliable as a whoopie bury, where the constriction comes from two directions.
    Great thread!! I can see I am going to have plenty of winter projects.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Mike, I wasn't happy with my answer to your question and needed to make up a pair of loops for a gear hammock to hang from the SLS above the foot of the hammock. The loops on these are longer so they can be larksheaded directly to the gear hammock. The first pic is the two 14" x 7/64" amsteel with tapered ends. #2 is one of the loops made up. #3 is the loop buried in a piece of 1/8" amsteel. Hope this helps.

Passinthru, That's a brilliant idea! Might even be able to completely do away with prussiks on amsteel. Keep us posted on how it works out.
    Attached Images Attached Images

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast