Hammock
    BIAS WWM w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    Shangri La
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 & Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I ordered the stuff from Dutch and I've got some amsteel on the way. Going to build this while I'm out on Paternity leave as soon as the wife pops.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by gordonfreeman View Post
    I ordered the stuff from Dutch and I've got some amsteel on the way. Going to build this while I'm out on Paternity leave as soon as the wife pops.
    What did you order, Gordon?

My experiment failed because I did not use 1/8" Amsteel or beefy enough straps.

I'm sure the SRL would have failed first but the whole system was not strong enough.

I don't want you to hurt yourself.

Mike

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    What line did you use and how did it fall? You should not be close to loading Amsteel.

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Curious about that myself. My SLS is 1/8" amsteel and when setting only tighten it by hand.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by tbctx View Post
    What line did you use and how did it fall? You should not be close to loading Amsteel.
    Nothing actually broke, tbctx. I bailed because I did not trust the 1.75mm SRL. I loaded it to about 1/2 its rating at a 15* angle between trees 32' apart and thought better of it.

The next iteration will feature 1/8" Amsteel throughout, like olddog's.

Mike

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Yeah amsteel is the preferred line for that. Also 30' is around where it stops being very effective unless your real tall at least from my experience.

Hammock
    BIAS WWM w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    Shangri La
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 & Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    I got 7/64, if I can't figure out a way to make it work with that then I might abandon the idea all together. That's why I was asking the questions that I was asking, I may just need to play with it to figure it out.

I just cant figure out why it isn't the same as using a structural ridgeline. The only difference I can see is if your tensioning to go across a longer than normal distance. I don't have a need to go beyond say 18ft. I really do think that the center of the line should be under less load than the outside portions from where the hammock connects to the trees. If my post in my thread doesn't make sense I'll draw it out on paper and show it that way.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/8olymdiuqe...019_075150.jpg
    Last edited by gordonfreeman; 10-19-2012 at 06:53.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    A line will distribute load equally all along it's length, Gordon, unless there is a change in the angle at which the load is born, as in the bottom of the hammock. So, coming in from the trees at 30* then bending to parallel with the ground at two points relative to the length of the hammock or your lie in it will change the load on the three quasi-segments. A tight SRL will begin to take up load, for instance, but is not really meant to do that to a great extent. Notice that on Stu's site it comments that the SRLs he sells assumes a 30* hang, meaning *conventional* suspension. He is careful to say how much to load it.

An *unconventional* SLS system requires at least a beefier SRL at the hammock because the angles are severly more shallow than 30*. The shallow angles put higher loads on everything in the suspension.

Now, materials rated at 1300# should carry 1000# loads. But why risk it?

I suffered a major, life-changing injury because a boat ladder broke from under me. It was supposed to hold 400# and did not. So in the park last week on that long hang I remembered all the pain I've endured. I am not going to let it stop me and I'll still think outside the box -- but I am smarter today so will order 1/8" and listen to my new friends here that have more experience than me.

Right now I'm enjoying hanging conventionally in my back yard. I've slept out there several times in various conditions, learning valuable things each time out.

Mike

Hammock
    BIAS WWM w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    Shangri La
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 & Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    It still isn't tracking with me that there is a major difference between a tight "conventional" whoopie and ridgeline setup and the single line. Say you used rings, you came from the hammock with continuous loops attached to the rings. Attach ridge-line from ring to ring. Attach ring to whoopie and attach to tree. That is essentially what a single line is with it being attached yes? Thats also the same as using a continuous loop through channel slipping a zing it fixed line over it at and then whoopes to the end of the continuous loop. It's just all different ways of attaching.

I've got an engineering student friend I'm going to run it by, maybe I'm just dense?

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Maybe take another look at BearChashers video. I'll be hanging mine again tomorrow and will try to get some better pics to post.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

• + New Posts
  • Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast