Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Mathematically, it can work at 11.5' and I've got it set up out there at that length now but am dragging the ground (the UQ is), probably because I did not account for the weight of the tarp. I've run out of whoopie take-up and will attach the hammock directly to carabiner B ...

But that will have to wait until after supper!

It's after supper and company has gone home -- I doubled up one whoopie and got the clearance needed.

Test results tomorrow, okay?

Mike
    Last edited by MDSH; 10-07-2012 at 19:15.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Tarp and hammock strung in what I'd call hunker down mode ...

Worked!

The ridgeline of the tarp was 5' high at the ends and initial clearance of hammock was 4" with 1" when I woke up this morning, including UQ. Distance between SLS and SRL was 8 inches when the math showed it 12 inches. Yes, the tarp slacks but not significantly.

All that occured with tree straps at less than 6' up on trees 18' apart.

Again, these are the same trees as before so will need to expand my efforts at various distances. It seems that polyester straps stretch more than an Amsteel SLS!

My system is very fiddly and so I still commend Bear and mad for the elegant simplicity of their work. I'm just not tall enough to get straps over 6'-8" so thought of this system as a way to gain elevation in my favor.

Pictures to follow, Lord willing.

Mike
    Last edited by MDSH; 10-08-2012 at 11:31. Reason: typos

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Mike come to the fall hang or the la one this weekend, and I'll try to fix your being so low. I'm running similar distances, similar strap heights and 1-2 foot under the uq using similar suspension. Being on my phone the pics aren't clear enough to see definitively why your so low.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    Quote Originally Posted by tbctx View Post
    Mike come to the fall hang or the la one this weekend, and I'll try to fix your being so low. I'm running similar distances, similar strap heights and 1-2 foot under the uq using similar suspension. Being on my phone the pics aren't clear enough to see definitively why your so low.
    Thx, tbctx. I'd like to get a few more inches of clearance.

The group hang is a possibility. I'll know more as the time gets closer.

Mike

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    Mike, make the hang if at all possible. If you think you get a mental overload here wait until you make a hang.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    WBBB/DIY
    Tarp
    Superfly
    Insulation
    IX/MW3, Mamba TQ
    Suspension
    Custom 2 RL
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Mike, make the hang if at all possible. If you think you get a mental overload here wait until you make a hang.
    No joke there, people at them have a slew of info.

Hammock
    DIY PolyD 1.2
    Tarp
    DIY .74 oz cuben
    Insulation
    Marmot Mod & DIY
    Suspension
    Dynaglide & Anchor
    That's something I definitely want to do, tbctx and olddog. Right now, though, I'm recovering from surgery and just got back with news that this process will take several more weeks.

In the meantime, on the drive back it occurred to me that one could clip the hammock directly to the SLS and use the whoopies on outboard points to position it and get the sag desired. I'll try that next to see how much clearance can be had with a hunkered down pitch.

Mike

Hammock
    BIAS WWM w/ Knotty
    Tarp
    Shangri La
    Insulation
    Incubator 20 & Bag
    Suspension
    DIY Whoopies
    This thread needs more pictures! I'm thinking about doing a mix of all involved. What if the buried loops for the hammock and tarp was a continuous loop?

It would work out this way, take a unlooped "loop" insert one half of the loop through SRL like a whoopie, exit SRL loop it over the SLR and back into and through the SRL and come out where you entered, attach dutch hammock hook and then bury the ends into each other making a continuous loop. This would allow adjustment on the hammock to the SRL without the need for whoopies thus having a nice weather "drop down" mode to get away from the tarp and a storm mode where you get close with the tarp.

You would pull on the loop over the SRL to pull up the hammock and it would tension just like a whoopie but it would be inside the SLR rather than outside.

Does that make sense?
    Last edited by gordonfreeman; 10-10-2012 at 20:51. Reason: clarification

Hammock
    WL Snipe
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    WL SS UQ, WL SS TQ
    Suspension
    Dutch speedhooks
    Images
    You're right gordonfreeman, need more pictures. Trying to build a mental picture and feel that it should work if I'm understanding everything. Best thing is to make up a sample piece and play with it and see if it does what you want it to. After mentioning the buried loop, which I placed 2 more in the SLS for a mini gear hammock, Mike raised the idea of an adjustable loop. Basicly a locked loop on 24" to 30" of amsteel with the end buried in the center and back out of the SLS. Currently my hammock attaches to the SLS with a whoopie from the hammock thru a nacrabiner to a buried loop. Mike's sliding loop would replace the whoopie and buried loop while still maintaining adjustability and maybe saving a few grams. Was looking at it today and I'm going to give it a try.

With the nacrabiners, 4, 2 at the tree huggers and 2 at the whoopies, I have reduced the hardware down to 2 #1 niteize S-biners for the tarp. These will be replaced with nacrabiners also leaving me with a complete suspension system with no hardware. Forgot the tarp stakes, guess they will have to stay.
    Most of us end up poorer here but richer for being here. Olddog, Fulltime hammocker, 365 nights a year.

Hammock
    comfortable
    Tarp
    waterproof
    Insulation
    warm
    Suspension
    necessary
    Quote Originally Posted by olddog View Post
    Forgot the tarp stakes, guess they will have to stay.
    Where there's trees to hang there's sticks for stakes.
    "Live like you will die tomorrow, but learn like you will live forever." Gandhi

• + New Posts
  • Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast