Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Perhaps I wasn't clear: They are liberated from repossessed boats.

The dockmaster generally keeps the sails for himself or for the local sail club after foreclosure anyway. He doesn't care if somebody gets there first.

Further, I'm not the one doing the liberating. I'm just taking what's given to me from a stash of liberated gear.

The old sails make great gear bags, shopping bags etc. I had a company when I was in university that just made bags out of old sails. They are great. However really old sails are very brittle and rip very easy some watch what you use them for. I have had a few very heavy mainsail shopping bags rip under the weight of groceries. Good luck with the sails there are thousands of uses for them. Just watch what you sew them with. Regardless of age Dacron is hard on a sewing machine. Go slow and stick to the lighter weight clothes.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by docmusolf View Post
    The old sails make great gear bags, shopping bags etc. I had a company when I was in university that just made bags out of old sails. They are great. However really old sails are very brittle and rip very easy some watch what you use them for. I have had a few very heavy mainsail shopping bags rip under the weight of groceries. Good luck with the sails there are thousands of uses for them. Just watch what you sew them with. Regardless of age Dacron is hard on a sewing machine. Go slow and stick to the lighter weight clothes.
    Thanks for the advice. I'll check the material out thoroughly. I know I'll make a few gear bags.

Generally what happens in these cases is somebody gets a boat (buys one on a whim 'cause they've got more money than they need or inherits or something) and brings it to the marina. They use it once, and dock it for a year or two. Eventually, they stop paying dock rent on a boat they don't use, and the dockmaster/owner eventually forecloses on the boat. It's a small community at this particular marina, and so when that happens, everybody knows about it.

The dockmaster more or less tells the liveabords and other friends "Hey, I just took possession of this boat. Better get what you want off of it before I auction it off.

A lot of those boats go to auction without electrical panels, outboard motors, and sails.

Regardless, the biggest concern I have is age on the sails. Despite them having been kept in bags and stowed in the cabin, it's still a concern.

Hammock
    WB RidgeRunner
    Tarp
    8x10 DIY (speer)
    Insulation
    KAQ Lost River
    Suspension
    Straps
    Images
    PIF some fabric out and the DIY club will start working on options!

I'm thinking Backpack...
    "Do or do not, there is no try." -- Yoda

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Gresh View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I'll check the material out thoroughly. I know I'll make a few gear bags.

Generally what happens in these cases is somebody gets a boat (buys one on a whim 'cause they've got more money than they need or inherits or something) and brings it to the marina. They use it once, and dock it for a year or two. Eventually, they stop paying dock rent on a boat they don't use, and the dockmaster/owner eventually forecloses on the boat. It's a small community at this particular marina, and so when that happens, everybody knows about it.

The dockmaster more or less tells the liveabords and other friends "Hey, I just took possession of this boat. Better get what you want off of it before I auction it off.

What are you living on? I used to spend my time on a cape dory.

A lot of those boats go to auction without electrical panels, outboard motors, and sails.

Regardless, the biggest concern I have is age on the sails. Despite them having been kept in bags and stowed in the cabin, it's still a concern.
    Pretty familiar with these things. I partially lived aboard when in college. Basically right up until I got married. Wife was not a fan of living on a boat. have seen a sorts of used sails in all conditions. Use what you can. There are so many things you can do with the. Enjoy figuring out all the cool things you can do. You may even make some extra money selling all your prototypes. This is how my canvas company started. Made some things for myself and then for my dock mates and word spread. Soon I was so busy I had to decide whether to continue with my studies. Just have fun. That is the only thing that matters.

Cheers.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by docmusolf View Post
    Pretty familiar with these things. I partially lived aboard when in college. Basically right up until I got married. Wife was not a fan of living on a boat. have seen a sorts of used sails in all conditions. Use what you can. There are so many things you can do with the. Enjoy figuring out all the cool things you can do. You may even make some extra money selling all your prototypes. This is how my canvas company started. Made some things for myself and then for my dock mates and word spread. Soon I was so busy I had to decide whether to continue with my studies. Just have fun. That is the only thing that matters.

Cheers.
    Sounds like a winner!

I can sympathize with the whole "wife not a fan of living on a boat" thing. Do you know how long it was before I got out of the "I can't have things, because I have nowhere to put things" mindset? lol

What are you living aboard? I spent my time on a cape dory that I have many fond memories of and miss still.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    I'm living aboard a house now...but I was on a 28' S2.

The center cockpit one? I loved that boat. Always felt big for being such a small boat. I have to settle now for a beach house on the great lakes. Some day I may get to return to the ocean and warmer climates.

Hammock
    Dream Hammock Dangerbird
    Tarp
    UGQ Winter Dream
    Insulation
    UGQ Full Set
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Images
    Rear cockpit, but I really loved the center cockpit (there was one at my marina). That little boat of mine would BLISTER across the lake in a good wind. It was plenty big enough for me, though. Just needed room enough to sleep, really.

My little brother lives aboard a 30' Montego.

Runs in the family.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast