WB Traveler 1.7 SL, WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, MacCat
    Insulation
    HG 40,20 Leighlo20
    Suspension
    whoop slings/hooks

Specific Set up Question Warbonnet and Te Wa Freeze

I know this is specific but I've seen people with this set up. So i have a warbonnet bb 1.1 dl and I am thinking about getting the Te wa freeze uq for bottom insulation. I am rather tall at 6 6 so it will most likely only come to passed my butt or to about mid thigh (give or take a inch in either direction). Do I then need something for my feet or do people not find their feet getting cold? Idk how that would be the case because it doesnt make sense so I was also thinking about getting a gossamergear lightweight pad and use that with the freeze. Anything about this bad, frought with peril or all around uncouth or will i be fine?

Hammock
    WBBB 1.7 SL
    Tarp
    WB Superfly
    Insulation
    WB and UGQ
    Suspension
    Whoopies or Straps
    Images
    When I use my 3/4 length UQ I do not find my legs get cold. Even though compressed, the foot box of my TQ covers the backs of my legs and keeps them warm during fall and spring temperatures. Because you are tall, a pad would be good to cover your upper legs as well as help pad your legs against the common calf ridge pressure that can occur for some people in gathered end hammocks. If you want to save weight, cut the pad in half and stick in in your TQ so it stays put. This will also allow you to maximize the comfort gained by using a TQ for keeping your torso warm. Pads are OK but UQ are more comfortable under your back.
    Don't let life get in the way of living.

Hammock
    WB Blackbird 1.1 dbl
    Tarp
    JRB11x10 Z-P cuben
    Insulation
    Yeti JRB WestMtg
    Suspension
    webbing, Dutchclip
    Images
    I've used 3/4 quilts for a while now with my BB. It's because I always sleep with a pillow under my head and knees. So both areas are insulated by the pillows. The quilt hits me from neck to knees. I put a small pad in my quilt foot box for my feet to keep them insulated. This pad is also my sitpad out on the trail and by the fire so I try to keep it clean.

When it's very cold I'll use a thin pad inside hammock along with my quilt on outside and pillows. It very wide and comes up around my sides to give additional insulation and windblock there. It's 1/16 thick, only weighs 6 oz. It hits above my head for additional insulation there and again down to my knees. I use a heavier footpad inside quilt in very cold weather.
    Exercise, eat right, die anyway -- Country Roads bumper sticker
    Fall seven times, standup eight. -- Japanese Proverb

Hammock
    DIY bridge hammock
    Tarp
    OES/WB Superfly
    Insulation
    Incubator/Burrow
    Suspension
    WB Straps
    Images
    As a WBBB and Te-Wa UQ owner as well as being sort of tall at 6'2" I use a pad for my calves/feet. But I tend to get cold in my feet first so take that for what it's worth. I carry a thin piece of hardwood floor underlayment that I double over and it also serves as a ground cloth. It's got a scrim on it so any dirt easily wipes off. It's also my sit pad during the hike.
    Syb
    Enjoy the elevation

Hammock
    I have many so....
    Tarp
    Blackcrow DIY Tarp
    Insulation
    FrankenquiltUQ/Pod
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    For sure you will be happy if you put something under your feet. Also, I love to take my down vest or jacket and zip it over my footbox of my hammock to ensure warm feet when the temps drop. Since I am not wearing my vest or parka to sleep in...it gets used to full effect.
    Shug

Whooooo Buddy)))) All Secure in Sector Seven

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 or BIAS WWM
    Tarp
    WL Big Daddy
    Insulation
    Tewa, Speer, H.G.
    Suspension
    whoopie
    Images
    Shugs idea is what I will be doing when colder temps get here...gee I wonder why, maybe because he pumped that idea in to my fragile eggshell mind .

But I have used my bb 1.1 with my te WA breeze which covers down to my ankles. I am a short dude at 5 foot 6. To cover my feet I cut up a ccf pad that I also use as my sit pad.
    "In seed time learn, in harvest teach, in winter enjoy." -D'Signore's, Tide Mill Farm, Edmunds, Maine.

Hammock
    WB Traveler 1.7 SL, WBBB 1.1 DL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben, MacCat
    Insulation
    HG 40,20 Leighlo20
    Suspension
    whoop slings/hooks
    Quote Originally Posted by Shug View Post
    For sure you will be happy if you put something under your feet. Also, I love to take my down vest or jacket and zip it over my footbox of my hammock to ensure warm feet when the temps drop. Since I am not wearing my vest or parka to sleep in...it gets used to full effect.
    Shug

shug i watched that video and got the idea from it. Was originally going to buy the yeti but the te-wa has a couple more inches to it and is still pretty light. I saw the pad from gossamer gear and think im going to couple that with the UQ. Just did two nights in New Paltz NY and got a HUGE t-storm on the second night. I only have a thermarest pad right now but I've cut a blue ccf pad into strips to make and impromptu SPE. I was so warm and comfortable but my friend who was sleeping in a tent got flooded and had to bail to the car.

Like Lewis & Clark: Wintrin' o/t Columbia again: PDX
    Hammock
    Clark w 2QZQ mod,Tropical, NX;Nano
    Tarp
    Clark micro
    Insulation
    Major down
    Suspension
    7/64 SK75 +strap
    Images
    Feet can get cold not just because of lesser circulation, but because of conduction right to the bone. Heels or ankles against the outer fabric partially supporting the weight of the calves can get as cold as if you were standing still on a cold heat sink. I have found it painful.

Per previoius, many like foam pads. There was recently a post from a member who expressly hates them. If you go the pad route, be sure your feet don't or cannot slip off during sleep and come and stay in contact with the bare hammock bottom. That can be bone-chilling, requiring massage to recover from.

I like the right resilient wool socks. Wool for wicking and anti-odor properties, but also for the cushioning of thick wool socks, which keeps the right ones I think, from compressing and losing insulation. I find those scratchy, so I have an oversized pair of thick boot socks worn as a top layer.

Important to start off dry, so sweaty socks from the day are replaced with fresh. The evaporative cooling of damp socks at the outset would make me miserable.

• + New Posts