WBBB 1.7 Double
    Tarp
    WB Cloudburst
    Insulation
    working on it
    Suspension
    webbing

Underquilt idea

I was thinking about an idea for an underquilt. It would essentially be an empty bag made from ripstop silnylon with baffles running lengthwise and open at one end and with draw cords at each end so that the ends could be cinched up. These baffles would be stuffed with leaves, ball moss, etc. Has anyone tried such a thing? Would the insulative value amount to anything? It would certainly be cheaper than a down-filled underquilt. Something similar could be used for a top quilt as well. Would it be better to make them out of a breathable material?

Thanks,
    Rob

Hammock
    LeanGreen/BigRed/DIY
    Tarp
    CatCut Hex/GG12
    Insulation
    Fur I grow myself
    Suspension
    Of Disbelief
    Images
    I believe someone else came up with a similar idea previously. Not sure if they ever followed through with it though.

My thoughts are that while it could save some weight, in my experience the down is only about half the weight of the quilts (depending upon material and FP of course). Also you would need to be sure that whatever you stuffed into your quilt shells was dry, as a pile of wet leaves will chill you fast.
    *Heaven best have trees, because I plan to lounge for eternity.

Good judgement is the result of experience and experience the result of bad judgement. - Mark Twain

Trail name: Radar

2014 Smoked Butt Hang Planning Thread | Sign up Sheet

Hammock
    Wilderness Logic Night OWL
    Tarp
    WL Tadpole
    Insulation
    Pheonix 3s, te-wa
    Suspension
    Whoopies
    My thoughts are that it would be too much work if you hiked most of the day. I'm not going to be into collecting a whole bunch insulation material, do my normal camp chores, cook, eat, prep for the next day and crash by hiker midnight (9 PM). If I'm just spending time in camp and not covering any miles I'll just carry a ' heavy ' quilt that's all stuffed and ready to go. And like Catavarie said, wet stuff for insulation could end bad. It could be a major deal to find suitable dry material in the back country. Don't stop thinking about ways to change the norm though.
    I like refried beans. That's why I wanna try fried beans, because maybe they're just as good and we're just wasting time. You don't have to fry them again after all.

Hammock
    Hennessy Hammock Explorer Deluxe
    Yep a rainy cold day then freezing temps at night could potentially be life threatening with this idea.

Hammock
    Walhalla Maddog 1.2 Robic
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Camo
    Insulation
    HG Incubator Camo
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Quote Originally Posted by redrob View Post
    I was thinking about an idea for an underquilt. It would essentially be an empty bag made from ripstop silnylon with baffles running lengthwise and open at one end and with draw cords at each end so that the ends could be cinched up. These baffles would be stuffed with leaves, ball moss, etc. Has anyone tried such a thing? Would the insulative value amount to anything? It would certainly be cheaper than a down-filled underquilt. Something similar could be used for a top quilt as well. Would it be better to make them out of a breathable material?

Thanks,
    Rob
    The ticks and the chiggers should make for some good times! Seriously though, that's the last thing I would want to do after hiking all day. Especially if it's been raining! Good luck brother! Maddog
    "Hike Your Own Hike." - Thru-Hiker

Hammock
    HH Hyperlite & WBBB 1.0 Double
    Insulation
    Crowsnest/No Snive
    Images
    This had been tried before, with limited success. It works if the material is dry and lofting, but it is difficult to find enough material in the woods. Here is a thread where a guy tried it:

Two HHSS sewn together and stuffed with hay.

But, I know the problems were too great and he started exploring Exped Wallcreepers and other insulation that could be worn to reduce his load.

I carry a couple of large bags for shredders with me. The are light, huge, and waterproof. Normally they are used as ground cloths and garbage bags. But in theory, I could fill them with air and dry leaves and put them between my underquilt and the hammock in an emergency.

Hammock
    G-Bird II/Bridge
    Tarp
    Ogee tarp
    Insulation
    DIY TQ DIY Down UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies
    Images
    I gotta hard enough time keeping leaves out of my hammock, now you want me to stuff 'em in my uq??

Hey, If'n it works for you, then do it. hyoh or syoq (stuff your own quilt)

Hammock
    WBRR
    Tarp
    diy sil argon camo
    Insulation
    lynx
    Suspension
    whoopie slings
    ck out this thread http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...ad.php?t=48581 Yes , it does work---Ive used leaves before with great success. Not sure what you do when its raining and all the leaves are wet!
    FYI: If you want to know what type a certain bear is, sneak up behind it and kick it. Then,
    run like crazy and climb up a tree. If the bear climbs the tree and eats you, it's a black
    bear. If the bear just pushes the tree over and eats you, it's a grizzly bear : )

Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me, either, just leave me alone.
    --unknown

Banned
    Hammock
    DIY 12' Channel end
    Tarp
    HH Hex w/doors
    Insulation
    Underwoobie T/UQ
    Suspension
    RacerLoops w/Cinch
    Images
    A system that works the least when you need it the most is not optimum, even dangerous. Wet, cold, and rainy is the time you need our UQ to perform at its utmost---and it is exactly the time when you will be unable to find dry litter in the forest.

And digging up a enough dry litter to fill an underquilt definetly does not conform with NLT principals.

Hammock
    Thunderbird
    Tarp
    UCQ Hanger
    Insulation
    Renegade/Jarbidge
    Suspension
    Cinch Buckles
    Seems like you could make the tubes into long, contoured dry bags, roll up the ends, trap the air, end up with inflated tubes. Probably not as high of an R-value but less work than finding dry leaves.
    ‟I’m in love with Montana. For other states I have admiration, respect, recognition, even some affection. But with Montana it is love.″ – John Steinbeck

• + New Posts