Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HHSS question

Images
    BB58

I would say less than a thimble full of condensation - see MedicineMan's video on our Big South Fork hang of NOV 2011. I was wearing 100wt fleece at the time. This weekend I was dialing in the radiant double bubble pad in a Deep Jungle. I felt slightly chilled/clammy in a cotton t-shirt at 52 degrees, yet toasty in 100wt fleece at 44 degrees - YMMV. As with any system with weather variables (condensation, temps, wind, etc...) one needs to experiment to find out what works.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roche View Post
    BB58

I would say less than a thimble full of condensation - see MedicineMan's video on our Big South Fork hang of NOV 2011. I was wearing 100wt fleece at the time. This weekend I was dialing in the radiant double bubble pad in a Deep Jungle. I felt slightly chilled/clammy in a cotton t-shirt at 52 degrees, yet toasty in 100wt fleece at 44 degrees - YMMV. As with any system with weather variables (condensation, temps, wind, etc...) one needs to experiment to find out what works.
    Ain't it the truth! And I've been dialing in the HHSS about 6 years now- not to mention trying to dial in several other systems. I doubt I've got any of them exactly dialed in yet, but it has been fun trying, so I'll keep trying. Interesting, looks like just 100 wt fleece bought you at minimum 8F more warmth using with that HH radiant pad.

I remember having a conversation with Tom H. when I got back from my 1st trip, my 1st night ever sleeping in a hammock and also using the HHSS. It was both horrible and wonderful. 90% of the horrible was on the first 22F night of freezing, literally violent shivering. While all of the other nights were comfy and warm ( and probably not quite as cold- maybe low 30s to 40), the memory of that 1st night haunted me the rest of the trip. I was paranoid I was going to have another horrible night. I didn't, not at all, if you don't count the very last night with the NOISY tarp.

But I was real interested in hearing from Tom how to maximize the performance of the HHSS and how to shut that tarp up. One thing I took away from the talk was that, since I was more than warm enough in my sleeping bag either in normal fashion or used as a TQ, I would have been even better off not wearing my fleece jacket, but instead stuffing it under the HH pad, zipped up for double loft. That turned out to be a real helpful concept. Done some version of this many a time now, always with good results. Then again, it's nicer to have your fleece or parka on if you have to get up during the night!

Edit: Roche, I just watched MM's video of the BSF trip. I enjoyed that! Looks like the coldest night was that 1st night in your HHSS, then you switched to HG Phoenix. Looked like a fun trip, and as a caption said, very reminiscent of Sipsey Wilderness. I must hike BSF sometime!
    Last edited by BillyBob58; 09-25-2012 at 13:47.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BillyBob58 View Post
    Ain't it the truth! And I've been dialing in the HHSS about 6 years now- not to mention trying to dial in several other systems. I doubt I've got any of them exactly dialed in yet, but it has been fun trying, so I'll keep trying. Interesting, looks like just 100 wt fleece bought you at minimum 8F more warmth using with that HH radiant pad.

Edit: Roche, I just watched MM's video of the BSF trip. I enjoyed that! Looks like the coldest night was that 1st night in your HHSS, then you switched to HG Phoenix. Looked like a fun trip, and as a caption said, very reminiscent of Sipsey Wilderness. I must hike BSF sometime!
    I think the difference was "a buffer" (fleece) between the reflectix and my back, minimizing the sweat/condensation that causes heat loss. A light fleece top is now a must have for temps below 55.

We're doing the BSF again in Novemeber, the weekend before Thanksgiving; we hope you can make it.
    Last edited by Roche; 09-25-2012 at 18:28.

• + New Posts
  • Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12