Hammock
    Dream Hammock Thunderbird
    Tarp
    Warbonnet Superfly
    Insulation
    kAQ New River, DIY
    Suspension
    Varies w/hammock
    My current hammock is supposed to be 84x54 lay area, actual width is around 50" and total hammock length is 9'. I use a sleeping pad for $$$ reasons. I find my biggest issue it that the pad and goes over the edge of the hammock, the edge makes its way toward the center of the hammock and next thing you know my feet are hanging off the hammock. I don't have this issue if I'm just taking a leisurely lay without any sleeping gear. I'm considering a 60+" wide hammock so the "extra" fabric contains all my sleep gear. I find I don't like my feet being right on the edge. After seeing your 68" hammock, I'm inclined to back off to 64-65"

Quote Originally Posted by Countrybois View Post
    Not to confuse anyone...... Shouldn't that be

Wider hammock + shorter ridgeline = more diagonal lay
    so if this is true then an ENO doublenest that is reported as having dimensions of 9'4" x 6'2" would give a big diagonal (flat lay) correct? assuming you get the ridgeline length correct...

i may just use some strong cord i have laying around make a ridgeline for my ENO double and try it.... i had it out at lunch and was playing with it but i got it fairly comfortable for laying on my back but when i went to my side it wasn't comfortable, felt like my side facing the sky was being pinched in....

oh i'm 6' 185lbs, thinking of spending $35 for a dutch 11' or should it be 10' UGH!!

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    My experience is shorter hammock, shorter width, which means smaller diagonal and smaller angle on the hang.

Mayans and Brazilians have different sizes, but all maintain their length. In each new size = new width, the diagonal of the lay widens too. Since they are the originals, and have been perfected over thousands of years, I wouldn't discount the width.

I would try a shorter ridgeline on the wider hammock with a wider diagonal. You really need to get your butt in the right place, and that's not going to be the same distance from the edge as the skinnier one.

That's my experience.

Hammock
    Warbonnet Blackbird XLC - DL
    Tarp
    CG 15'x10'
    Insulation
    DD UnderBlanket
    Suspension
    straps, cinch bckl
    Images
    Awesome discussion.

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Singingcrowsings View Post
    ..... I would try a shorter ridgeline on the wider hammock with a wider diagonal....
    It has been my longstanding theory that narrow hammocks are happiest when hung a bit tighter, i.e. a longer ridgeline, and wide hammocks are happiest when hung a bit looser, i.e. a shorter ridgeline. But I have no proof.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    Mayan / Freebird
    Tarp
    SLD Custom
    Insulation
    UGQ 30*F / 0*F
    Suspension
    Whoopie / fleaz
    Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    It has been my longstanding theory that narrow hammocks are happiest when hung a bit tighter, i.e. a longer ridgeline, and wide hammocks are happiest when hung a bit looser, i.e. a shorter ridgeline. But I have no proof.
    So prove it.

Unfortunately, the hammock material comes into play hear too.

I had to tie 3 knots knots in my hammock at one point, causing it to lose 1.5'. This not only shortened it, but caused my diagonal to go from 14 stripes to 10 (multicoloured), and the ridgeline had to be wider too to feel right. That's my contribution!

Quote Originally Posted by MAD777 View Post
    While I don't have experience with narrow hammocks, I can say that my 10'8" long x fabric width (probably ~57" finished) feels best to me with a bit more sag (shorter ridgeline) than is typical. I thought that was due to the length rather than the width though, I think I need to do some more experimenting.

Cheers

I have a singlenest and never understood why everyone says you've gotta use a double nest. My single has perfect amount of fabric.

Hammock
    DIY Gathered End
    Tarp
    Kelty Noah
    Insulation
    DIY UQ & TQ
    Suspension
    Whoopie Sling
    A case for a wider hammock. Let me start by saying that I did the same test as you, and as far as the lay goes I agree. I sleep in the center area of the hammock and don't use the outlying edge. However, for lounging in the hammock I have found advantages to having in a little wider. I have a Pares hammock that is about 78" wide. It has about 10" of extra material on each side. What I like to do when I lounge in the hammock is to fold that extra piece of material back toward the center. At that point it forms a little shelf. Then I can hook an ankle in it to elevate my leg a little and it stays in place supported. I also use it on the other side as an arm rest. My favorite is as a head rest. It elevates my head just a little and makes for a comfortable stretch.

Just trying to point out that there may be some advantages to the extra width that have nothing to do with the flat lay itself.

Hammock
    Argon X90 Experimental hammock
    Tarp
    7'x9' cuben tarp
    Insulation
    Pads and quilts
    Suspension
    Kevlar + dynaglide
    Images
    I like my hammocks narrow and short. All that excess material in a bigger hammock is a waste of space and weight.
    NO SNIVELING!
    www.hikinghq.net - Hiking H.Q.
    www.bmtguide.com - the BMT Thru Hiker's Guide

• + New Posts
  • Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast