View Poll Results: Do you think we should be able to edit our post at any time?

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes I think this is a great idea

23 46.00%
  • I don't really care

7 14.00%
  • No this is a bad idea!

20 40.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Editing

Editing

I was wondering what yall think of my suggestion. On BushcraftUSA you can edit any of your threads or post at anytime no matter how long it has been since that post. I think this would be a nice feature here as well. Reason I say this is a made a typo in a thread two member had caught and I had to contact a mod to edit the original thread. This could have been avoided by this feature. I do think it should be that once something is edited it has to be over viewed or approved, but also I think we should be able to close our own for sale threads when we sell or withdraw something to make it easier on the mods. What do you think?

Hammock
    Martian Bridge (DIY)
    Suspension
    Whoopie Slings
    Images
    You are already allowed to edit your posts within 72 hours (I think). So any typos or corrections that need to made are easily done with in that time frame. Allowing editing beyond that would cause issues with the clarity of the content, especially if someone quotes your original post in a response.

Cheers

Brian
    Good judgment comes from experience, and often experience comes from bad judgment. - Unknown

Yes Brian you can edit within 72 hours of the post. But if we were able to edit them at any time it could make things easier and less stress and less for mods to do and not be bothered. But I think after 72 hours if you edit it the edit must be approved to make sure it wont cause confusion and what not.

Jeremy

Hammock
    Wilderness Logics Night/Lite Owls
    Tarp
    WL-TP/OMW/BF
    Insulation
    WL-TQ/UQ x3
    Suspension
    Dutch-n-Whopies
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianWillan View Post
    You are already allowed to edit your posts within 72 hours (I think). So any typos or corrections that need to made are easily done with in that time frame. Allowing editing beyond that would cause issues with the clarity of the content, especially if someone quotes your original post in a response.

Cheers

Brian
    i concur.
    72 hours is ample time to spell my checking and punctuate my poor syntax.

Hammock
    WB Traveler
    Tarp
    ZPacks CF
    Insulation
    Te-Wa / HG / WB
    Suspension
    Whoopie Hooks
    Images
    The mods don't mind helping with edits and closures.

BrianWillan is right about the content issues. We had a problem (unfortunately) with some members removing posts weeks after they were made, and leaving holes in the conversations. That's why the edit timeframe was implemented. It seems to be a good compromise all around.
    “I think that when the lies are all told and forgot the truth will be there yet. It dont move about from place to place and it dont change from time to time. You cant corrupt it any more than you can salt salt.” - Cormac McCarthy

Quote Originally Posted by angrysparrow View Post
    The mods don't mind helping with edits and closures.

BrianWillan is right about the content issues. We had a problem (unfortunately) with some members removing posts weeks after they were made, and leaving holes in the conversations. That's why the edit timeframe was implemented. It seems to be a good compromise all around.
    Okay, I didn't know there was this problem in the past it was just something I thought would be a good suggestion. Now that you have jumped in looks like this will not change. But this is not a bad thing, thanks for the info Sam.

Jeremy

That is why I was also thinking after 72 hours if you edit something it has to wait approval or denial before being changed so those type of problems can be avoided.

Jeremy

Hammock
    1.1 dbl ge double strech-side
    Tarp
    Tadpole/ Superfly
    Insulation
    HG- TQ,UQ- DIY PL
    Suspension
    Whoopie,D Buckle
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheCoyote View Post
    That is why I was also thinking after 72 hours if you edit something it has to wait approval or denial before being changed so those type of problems can be avoided.

Jeremy
    So if your still going to have to wait for approval, that means a mod has to look at it anyway, so just sent them a PM to fix it, and it's done. Sounds easy enough, to me.
    I'm a member of PETA!!!!

People
    Eating
    Tasty
    Animals

Hammock
    WWM or tablecloth
    Tarp
    SuperFly
    Insulation
    shamu 40*
    Suspension
    UCR whoopie
    Images
    One things bcusa has put into place that I like is a "thanks" button... It's kind of like the forum equivalent of liking something on facebook...
    Live, Laugh, Love, if that doesn't work. Load, Aim and Fire, repeat as necessary...

Buy, Try, Learn, Repeat

Hammock
    DIY
    Images
    I agree that the present system works well and shouldn't be changed. I don't see the need for a "Thanks" or "Like" or "Me Too" button, because they mostly don't add information to the discussion. I sometimes couple one of those thoughts with some additional ideas, but more often I try to use a PM to the person I want to thank.

• + New Posts
  • Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast