Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Slept outside last night using this. The problem that I am having is that the UQ is sagging in the leg/foot area. While the UQ is sucked tight up to the half way point. Beyond that point a big gap is created between the bottom of the hammock and the top of the UQ. The UQ still traps air and warms it up, but the sag is annoying. Any idea what modifications I need to make?

Hammock
    DIY, WBBB & Switchback
    Tarp
    HG cuben,OES Spinn
    Insulation
    DIY 3/4 UQ/TQ, UGQ
    Suspension
    Dynaglide / Dutch
    Images
    There are a number of solutions. All of them fix the problem of the quilt suspension isn't at a steep enough angle. Here are some solutions....

Triangle thingies (Arrowhead Equip) moves the attachment point inward from the end of the hammock, thereby steepening that angle.

Quilt Hooks (Dutch) hold the quilt up against the hammock, closing those gaps.

Shock cord line attached to left & right corners of the quilt and running over the ridgeline.
    Mike
    "Life is a Project!"

Hammock
    an old cabela's brand hammock
    Tarp
    hennessy
    Insulation
    DIY underquilt
    Suspension
    P-cord and knots
    Nice! i think I'm going to try making one out of an old sleeping bag.

Hammock
    90"x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    I'm trying to figure out the baffles. They are inside the channels? Do you have any pics of how it looked before you put the shell together?
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

The baffles are installed directly under where you see the seams on the UQ. They are on edge and perpendicular to the pieces of ripstop, sewed to the green and black layer using separate seams. I don't have any pictures before sewing shut.

Here is a quick google sketchup they may help you imagine what is going on here...

The big flat rectangle on the bottom would be the black layer, the protruding rectangles would be the ribbons sewed in (Baffles). The final green piece would be the same size as the big flat bottom rectangle and would be laying parallel to it on top of the protruding rectangles. The Down is then stuffed in between the baffles.

Hope this helps! It is sort of difficult to explain...

Hammock
    90&quot;x11' DIY Tablecloth
    Tarp
    UGQ WinterDream 11
    Insulation
    SnuggleBug
    Suspension
    Dutch cinch buckle
    So, the ribbon basically creates more room between the layers of ripstop to allow for more down...is that it? Instead of just sewing the ripstop together in channels? So you just took wide mesh ribbon and sewed one edge to the top and one edge to the bottom. Did you sew all the ribbons to one side, then the other piece? Did you have to pin each baffle onto the second layer and sew, then move on to the next one? Then sewed the edges up of the whole thing, except for one side for stuffing? Did you fold over the edges and top stitch? How much down did you put in each baffle? Sorry, I know that was a ton of questions!!!
    Just me being me

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Palmetto State Hangers Treasurer <--Facebook Group Page
    [COLOR="#008000"][SIZE=2]SC Fall Sprawl 2016-Santee State Park - October 13-16---->

The ribbon makes it so the top layer and bottom layer never actually touch. If you sew the top layer directly to the bottom layer as you mention it is impossible for down to get inbetween the 2 layers of fabric. Thus you have spots where your stiching runs that are uninsulated. The baffles eliminates these cold spots becasue there are no flat spots that the down cannot get into.

Yes one edge of the ribbon is sewed to the top layer and one edge of it is sewed to the bottom layer

I sewed all 8 to the bottom layer first, then pinned and sewed each one seperatley the top layer. (There is alot of material to keep out of your way during this process, I found it easy to just roll up the excess as I sewed and moved on). Double pinning is also very useful here. Pin the edge of the ribbon down where you intend to sew, also pin the excess from the top layer taught, back out of the way on each baffle. VISUALIZE everything before you actually sew it.

I made the green piece about 1.5" bigger on all sides than the black piece. That way I could fold it over and create the channels. But yes I folded it over and top stitched it down. I left one side open for stuffing then pinned and sewed that shut after the stuffing process.

I didnt really measure a set ammount of down for each section, I just "eyeballed" it... made sure they were all level once the down settled out though!

Hope this answers your questions.

This link may also be useful to you. If you are still a little confused http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/s...sewing+baffles

Hammock
    WBBB 1.1 Dbl
    Tarp
    WBSF, MacCat STD
    Insulation
    PLUQ w/Thermarest
    Great looking UQ. I've been trying to figure out what to do so I can keep hanging as the temps drop without spending huge money on a new UQ., Your quilt design looks perfect for that.

I had been looking at the material available from Joann's and was wondering how it would do for this type of project. The weight of the material isn't a big concern right now since I continue to use the hammock only during car camping trips while I work out the kinks of moving off the ground. I always have the tent waiting in reserve in-case things go bad during the night.

Thanks for continuing to provide additional details on the construction methods you used. It looks like its time for me to start gathering up the materials and give it a try.

Hammock
    Darien UL
    Tarp
    HG Cuben Fiber
    Insulation
    Winter bag/DIY UQ
    Suspension
    whoopies/dutchware
    Images
    Here's another illustration to show the structure of baffles. It's from the thread describing my UQ project.

Your quilt looks great. Mine will end up costing close to what a completed quilt would so I am quite jealous of your economies.

Hammock
    11' Dutch, Yukon, ENO, and more
    Insulation
    DIY UQ
    Suspension
    multiple setups
    Images
    wow with that much wrap around you almost don't need a top quilt!! nice job!!!

• + New Posts
  • Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast